Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Professional Liability insurance for Consulting?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,433
Professional Liability insurance for Consulting?

As I get ready to pitch a possible consulting job, I am starting to try to think through what I need to nail down. One thing that concerns me is possible professional liability arising from a consulting/contract job. I know a number of you have done this sort of work after the end of a formal career. How did you deal with this risk? Tight contract language that absolves you of risk/indemnifies you? Professional Liability/E&O insurance? I had a brief chat with an insurance broker who indicated that it might be challenging and expensive to obtain insurance coverage.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
hakuna matata's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Small town outside of Seattle
Posts: 444
I have an E&O policy that covers me for my own general design work, but I often do work consulting for other Architectural firms due to my specific background. I make it clear in my contract that my work for them is covered under their E&O insurance. I have done this with (4) firms to date and not one of them batted an eye about it, and signed the contract with that exclusion. Of course, Architects are terrible businessmen, so they likely did it without getting approval from their brokers and/or legal department. But MY insurance broker was the one who suggested I do this.

My approach is that I they have the contract with the client, not me. Since I can't control things so I am not covering it under my E&O insurance, and my insurance would be through the roof if I did.

My own projects are small houses, retail shops, etc. The work I do for other Architects is typically high rise construction with many million dollar fees and construction costs. E&O insurance is based on risk and fee/construction costs. So that is how I keep my numbers down. For what it is worth I pay about $2000 a year for my E&O insurance.

hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,946
I looked at a Professional Liability policy to cover me while substitute teaching. I was quoted about $1600 for $2MM General Aggregate (whatever that means). My broker checked if reducing the limit reduced the premium. I think she said $1MM was $1400. Holy cow!

I'm probing the school district to determine what coverage I have while working for them. Their standard self-insurance letter gives limits of $200K/$300K which is inadequate. Their email also mentioned 'excess' coverage so I asked what those limits are.

No matter their limits, I really don't trust a public entity to have my best interests as a priority if the doo doo hits the fan.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,949
We had E&O when I worked and it covered me. The only consulting I do now is to my old firm. Just to the firm itself, not to any clients. So really I don't need it personally.

If your profession has a an association of members, they might have info on providers that could provide more info

In addition, I would explore forming an LLC
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E & O insurance for consulting WM Other topics 4 02-17-2009 10:09 AM
protecting assets- umbrella/liability insurance? nphx FIRE and Money 22 01-08-2009 09:00 PM
New roof and liability insurance kaneohe Other topics 10 08-16-2007 06:45 PM
Liability insurance for renting out an RV pad outtarentals Other topics 3 07-24-2007 04:35 PM
Supplemental Spousal Liability Insurance Jeb-NY FIRE and Money 0 11-27-2006 10:39 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.