Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Who has time for projects?
+1

Even with all the time in the world, in retirement I am always busy and happy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Priorities after retirement we're GET FIT and BECOME A GARDENER.

First one done, working on the second - having trouble with my acorn squash transplants.

Other things down the road I want to do - circumnavigate Vancouver Island (newfound fitness will help immeasurably), and increase my winter Baja stays from current one month to three.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I made my family tree many years back. But some parts are missing. So I plan to look into that. I have collected a few leads. And now with many sources available online it could give me a flying start.

I have been on a couple of trips in my RV - the longest one for 10 weeks. From Oslo down to Spain in the winter.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This has turned into the "mother-of-all-projects" for me. Started clearing and surveying the land about 4 years ago. This is where I am now. Pretty much all I do (except skiing in the winter, of course). Building a house by yourself is slow going, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0949.jpg (557.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0951.jpg (535.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #25

I have a few home decor craft projects lined up and I've become very involved in Church activities which I find very gratifying.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have so many projects in the queue that it will probably be months before I get done. Spring planting and yard work is dominating my time now.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

The opportunity to ER just arose about a month ago, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it will go down. I'm 55 yrs old, mostly a Type-A workaholic, self-employed and very task oriented. I'll sell the business and retire June 15. Half of me wants to set up a daily task schedule to stay focused. The other half wants to just wipe the schedule clean for the entire summer and see what happens. I'm leaning toward the second choice. I'll either be deliriously happy or bored out of my mind. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I make lists of things that I would do if I had time.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
This has turned into the "mother-of-all-projects" for me. Started clearing and surveying the land about 4 years ago. This is where I am now. Pretty much all I do (except skiing in the winter, of course). Building a house by yourself is slow going, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
Hermit - yours is the most organized looking construction site that I've ever seen! And a good looking house, too.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Hermit - yours is the most organized looking construction site that I've ever seen! And a good looking house, too.
Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangiovese View Post
The opportunity to ER just arose about a month ago, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it will go down. I'm 55 yrs old, mostly a Type-A workaholic, self-employed and very task oriented. I'll sell the business and retire June 15. Half of me wants to set up a daily task schedule to stay focused. The other half wants to just wipe the schedule clean for the entire summer and see what happens. I'm leaning toward the second choice. I'll either be deliriously happy or bored out of my mind. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I suggest you take two weeks to do nothing and decompress. Then you can think more clearly about what you want to do...if anything.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The word "project" is alien to my conception of a life of leisure. The only project I have is my contract job. Everything else is different since I am much happier doing the things I want to do on an open-ended/flow basis, rather than a planned, benchmarked, start-and-finish task. I had enough of that at work.

So far, I have gotten into beekeeping, done more fishing and hunting, camped more, baked more bread, volunteered more, become more active with our daughters at school, started seriously gathering enough firewood to heat the house full time, gotten in better shape (weight does not seem to go down, but I have way more endurance and a heck of a lot more strength), and so forth. I want to pick up fly fishing again and have taken some steps in that direction, but for now I am too busy. I also picked up a few chores that I mostly outsourced while working, including tending to the yard.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I suggest you take two weeks to do nothing and decompress.
Or 6 to 12 months...
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Or 6 to 12 months...
It took me a couple of years. But then, I'm a little high-strung, or so I'm told...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My first few years of FIRE were very task-oriented...I attacked and completed a lot of small projects, mostly indoor stuff, i.e. non-critical things that had to be deferred while w*rking full time.

Travel...I haven't gotten the traveling bug back yet. I went to FL 3x in 2010. I'm way overdue to plan a long distance trip. Truth is, I'm too lazy to do that. It's so much easier to do short distance travel within NY. Walk out to car, insert key, turn ignition, drive.

Now 8 years into FIRE and I no longer construct "to-do" lists. If something crosses my mind, but I don't feel like doing it right now, I will make a small note and put it on my kitchen counter as a reminder. Completion dates vary from today to whenever.

My biggest project was converting a small bedroom into an indoor growing room for veggies and flowers. I did it little by little, waiting for sales on shelving units and grow lights off season. It turned out really well. It is a constant source of enjoyment for me in all seasons, but especially in the winter time.

My gardening buddy is helping me do some fine tuning on the yard and a few small indoor tasks. If my hands were in better shape, I would do these things myself. I do not like to ask for help, never have in my entire life, but I guess I have no choice due to chronic tendinitis. Argh.

The most recent outdoor project is actually hired out. I have a tree service doing some preventative removal of trees that are too tall or have dead sections. I'll get some great firewood out of the deal. The tree service guys will trim off branches and cut the trunks into 16 inch sections for splitting in the fall or next spring.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Travel in our RV, build Hotrods, mission work with our church, and see grandkids often as we can.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenhardt View Post
Travel in our RV, build Hotrods, mission work with our church, and see grandkids often as we can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
I'm restoring (and/or hot-rodding) a couple of old cars. After DW's 'projects' and our kid's housing projects, nothing gets done. How did I find time to spend at work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I've been restoring classic motorcycles to museum quality. When I finish one, I enter it in a classic car and motorcycle show, then sell it to fund my next project. This has turned into a money making activity!

Retired December 2012 at 55 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I started with a sunfish last summer for $300 bucks, did some restoration which I found I very much enjoy. Then this winter I bought an older Capri 18, fixed it up, put it in a slip and sail every day if can 4-5 days a week. I set it up for solo sailing. If I have one regret, it's that I didn't take up sailing earlier, I just love it. I will probably sell the sunfish at the end of this summer. I'm near a good sized lake in Texas, so I can sail year round.
These only count with pics!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
These only count with pics!
The formal response to these boasts is "Pics...or it never happened."
Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

After some decompression and dealing with some parent issues (still partially ongoing), I am starting to work on several fix-up projects around the current house, and purging/de-junking. Next year we will move cross country to our retirement house and sell the current one. I already have a couple of projects in mind for the retirement home when we get there.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:50 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Urban homesteading / sustainable living / decluttering house
Learning more about credit card games, sign up bonuses
Work part-time
Redecorating and fixing up the house, replacing lawn with native garden, improving energy efficiency, small solar projects, improving Feng Shui
Lots of outings, weekend & day trips - museums, gardens, parks, hikes, picnics, cultural attractions, restaurants, happy hours, visiting friends
Yoga, reading, cooking, managing investments & optimizing expenses
Adopted a rescue dog
Trying out a few structured activities - clubs / civic groups

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
activities, project