Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am the handyman/builder in the family and am retiring next spring...coincidentally, my brother will be either building a house or moving an existing home on to some land they own right around the same time. So, I guess my first few months of retirement will be busy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I started out retirement painting the inside of the house. 3 rooms done so far. Nice being able to do it on MY schedule. Also finishing up some end tables I've been building.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #43

I haven't had time to take care of most of the projects I'd like to do. My decompression period is now going into it's 7th month with no end in sight! I was scared of being bored...but that's not happening. If and when I decide to w#rk on the projects, here are a few..

-Replace old interior doors in the house
-Install a hot tub
-Pressure wash and stain the deck (which will suck since it's 1,000 square feet!
-Continue with landscape projects that NEVER end
-Replace gutters
-Build some new blue bird nesting boxes
-Maybe go to law school

Oye...that list wears me out just thinking about it! Now I need a nap!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
These only count with pics!
OK, the completed restoration, others to follow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (559.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
OK, the completed restoration, others to follow

Wow. Stunning.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lots of craft projects - I make handmade books with wonderful papers - and buy used furniture and use chalk paint to restore and then, hopefully, sell. I'm also working on writing a genre fiction novel. When I move and have more room I know I will branch out. Reading is also a big hobby of mine.

And I drink.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
I have lots of craft projects..............

And I drink.
Before, during or after the project work?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends on the project! But if I am using an Facto knife I usually stay soberish.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have lots of craft projects - I make handmade books with wonderful papers - and buy used furniture and use chalk paint to restore and then, hopefully, sell. I'm also working on writing a genre fiction novel. When I move and have more room I know I will branch out. Reading is also a big hobby of mine.

And I drink.
I've got the drinking part down, but have also thought about the chalk painting. I have an old desk in the garage for my first project. A friend told me how much she paid for a chalk painted dresser on Craigslist and I was kind of floored. It is easy to pick up old furniture that just needs a coat of paint practically for free at local garage sales and thrift shops. Then again maybe I've just watched too many episodes of Flea Market flip, but I love that show.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
These only count with pics!
1970 Honda Trail 90 CT90
Before;

After;

And a few during;

Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course, chalk paint (if you buy Annie Sloan) is expensive but goes a long way. There are some other calls "milk paint" - all the same really. Really easy to use and looks great. No sanding or prep unless it's not a smooth surface. Lots of places have classes to teach you techniques. I'm planning a future paint job on my parent's china hutch from the 50's. It's dark finish is super dated but I saw one done on Pinterest and it looked great. So I get to keep a sentimental piece but update it to my tastes.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are a pair of 1974 Honda Trail 90 CT90's with sequential VIN's and plates. I found them in a cattle rancher's barn where they had been sitting for almost 20 years;

Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Skipro33,

Very nice, exceptional restoration. I recall riding with friends as a kid. Do you only do the 90 or other models too?

🐑
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Skipro33, very nice work!

In the 70's, I had a 250 Bultaco Matador. It was fun! Haven't see one in decades.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #55

Skidpro33, that is amazing! I had a 1966 Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in high school, bought it one year old in '67. Had a ball with it.

Today it would be considered a rolling environmental disaster. There was one long hill that I would go up regularly and at wide open throttle it would hold ~40-45 mph the two-stroke screaming. The smoke cloud behind was so thick you could barely see through it with that Yamaha oil injection system for the two-stroke engine. I imagine a lot of people behind were cussing at me! At 17 years old I never gave it a thought.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #56

Skipro33,

Those look great! You should bring them up to my place. We have miles and miles of serious ATV trails up here. A couple of days up here and you would have more restoration projects for some time to come!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:55 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

MRG; For older bikes, I mainly do the Trail 90, but I will restore anything that'll turn a coin for me.

aja8888; In the 70's I had a Bultaco Persang. Fang-the Persang I called it. I rode it on the Barstow to Vegas race as well as Baja on several occasions. (I lived in San Berardino at the time) I'm looking for one to restore now.

Walt34; Yamaha Twin 2-strokes rocked!! I had a 1975 Yamaha RD350. A 2 cylinder 2 stroke. My brother put it into a barb wire fence and never rode again after that. I rebuilt and sold it to my father-in-law.

Hermit; I've got something better for Colorado; a Yamaha TW200 I restored and modified some;

Old 05-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post

Hermit; I've got something better for Colorado; a Yamaha TW200 I restored and modified some;
I think that would do nicely!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, chalk paint (if you buy Annie Sloan) is expensive but goes a long way. There are some other calls "milk paint" - all the same really. Really easy to use and looks great. No sanding or prep unless it's not a smooth surface. Lots of places have classes to teach you techniques. I'm planning a future paint job on my parent's china hutch from the 50's. It's dark finish is super dated but I saw one done on Pinterest and it looked great. So I get to keep a sentimental piece but update it to my tastes.
I didn't realize there were classes. I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the idea. I do like the idea of upcycling for a hobby. I have a lot of Pinterest pages bookmarked.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
1970 Honda Trail 90 CT90
Before;

After;

And a few during;

Sweet! Just don't get caught in Waco, Tx on that thing...

Tags
activities, project