Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

I have to say I thought this thread was worthwhile. Meadh posted a lovely poem. There were little gems scattered here and there. Judging from the number of active users viewing this thread at any one time, it is popular. Maybe we like car crashes?

How about we call it quits now, there doesn't seem to be anywhere good to go at this point.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At THIS point?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bongo, breathing could be termed selfish.
I think where you run into trouble is when you say that ER is not only selfish, but damaging to society. That is where I feel you are wrong.

As for the 'taking a job someone else could have' I don't think that is such an empty argument as you seem to feel.
I have thought a few times about getting a job at a bookstore or such. However, there is something to be said for the idea that if I take a job to fill my time, I am not allowing someone else who may be trying to get that job to support themselves or even family.
I don't need the income. So I would say taking a job you don't need away from someone that does, is increadibly selfish.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jumping in at (what will hopefully be) the end of this thread.

I just want to say that being FIREd is such a positive experience that allows life to be lived the way it should be lived (except of course if you're Bongo) that I'm actually not smarting from his comments or the question he posed. It allows you to so totally be yourself and accept yourself, without having to justify yourself to supervisors and co-workers, that you can deal with the nay-sayers and finger-pointers.

Bongo has the right to question whether ER is selfish. He also has the motivation to do so, since chances are that being FIREd won't occur in his future anytime soon. Interesting how he wanted it enough to join this board in his thirties---quite young---but now seems to have a moral dilemma about it. Or perhaps reality has just set in. From his post, I would suspect that his lifestyle is less LBYM than many of ours (three kids, bigger/more expensive home). This may not be his fault per se; it may well be what his wife wants or the existence of the three kids...but all these reflect choices he has made (having the kids, choosing the wife).

I would suggest that Bongo examine his own life and make sure he is living in an entirely selfless way. A big home, three kids....hmmmm...does anyone see where I am going with this? Is he environmentally selfish? And if I am less environmentally selfish because I choose to live in a smaller home and be childfree and have a lesser carbon footprint, does that balance out my (in Bongo's eyes) being socioeconomically selfish?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I just found it amusing that someone would judgmentally insult an entire body of people that he doesnt know very much about, and then simper about being personally attacked for his efforts.
But it's for our own good.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
How about we call it quits now, there doesn't seem to be anywhere good to go at this point.
Not until bongo2 sees the light!

We are the vanguard of the new anti-productivity movement. Join us, bongo2, as we exit the rat race en masse, dial-down productivity, put an end to conspicuous consumption, and engage in sustainable slacking.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
My apologies to all.
Too late for that, Bongo. You had a chance waaaaay back in response #52 but sticking to your guns does not gain you extra karma points any more than it did for H0cu$.

I have to admit, though, that you're the first person added to my "Ignore Poster" list because I felt sorry for them. Hopefully that's unique.

I'd tell you to have a nice life now, but you're too busy trying to live your life according to other people's standards. So I'll just wish you good luck with that, although it might help to review some of Azanon's ruminations on that subject.

Quote:
I have to say I thought this thread was worthwhile. Meadh posted a lovely poem. There were little gems scattered here and there.
If the thread must be closed-- a decision I don't agree with, not that I have a vote-- then let's close it by adding it to the "Best of the Board" forum.

Otherwise I think this thread will live longer than Ted's farewell or even "Funny Joke Thursday"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

"Sustainable slacker" I like the sound of that! Sounds better than the generic "retired"!

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basisĒ Margaret Bonnano
Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Not until bongo2 sees the light!

We are the vanguard of the new anti-productivity movement. Join us, bongo2, as we exit the rat race en masse, dial-down productivity, put an end to conspicuous consumption, and engage in sustainable slacking.
Resistance is futile!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'd agree with Bongo if he'd change his proposition ever so slightly to "Retirement is Shellfish". Well seasoned and done to perfection, it's dang good!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I mentioned before itís interesting how quickly we degenerate into personal attacks. Iím illogical and uninformed. ... Iím picking fights in order to . . . well, something Iím sure.

My apologies to all.
Coming right after:

Quote:
I agree that ERs are different. From a PR perspective itís a delicate sell because you are basically insulting people who arenít in that position.

You accuse us of insulting savings slackers by being frugal and you wonder why we think you are picking fights?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #132

Quote:
If someone is retiring early because they have found something more important to do, rather than something more frivolous to do, then they should say so and avoid the stigma.
I must have missed the memo defining the "stigma" of the word "retiree"

Proud to be selfish...I am in the workforce to fund my existence now and for ER.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Are we done yet?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd agree with Bongo if he'd change his proposition ever so slightly to "Retirement is Shellfish". Well seasoned and done to perfection, it's dang good!

Now, kids, since we don't seem to have run out of energy on this little gem, how bout we take it from the top. Maybe Bongo can re-state his original point and we can all comment on it. Whaddya think? Huh? Guys - don't go. It's a good idea! Why is everyone leaving? I'm just trying to help. Guys? Anyone?

[...slinking out of Dodge]

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

NOTHING beats "funny joke thursday"!!!

I'm not really done yet, but I've run out of interest. Theres sort of no more 'there' there.

But the spirit is willing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are we done yet?
Sure, I'll wait for bongo's new thread:

Proposition: Perform an Appendectomy on Yourself?

It'd probably beat going back to work.
-ERD50
Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Anyone else know that a sex change operation is sometimes referred as an addadictomy?

Okay, now i'm done.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Iím a little saddened by this, because I have a feeling all my future posts will be colored by this exchange.
Reputation has to do with our past actions, no?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are we done yet?
Martha,

I ask that this thread not be locked just yet. I want to think about bongo2's latest comments and respond.

Despite the insults and attacks, this thread has been valuable to me. It's interesting to me to help clarify my thinking and see where the basic disagreements are between myself and others.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You can always send him a PM...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread