Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

The good thing about being retired is that we don't have to put up with those people anymore. I imagine the retired psychopaths will adapt and find others to control, though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Serious question: Do psychopaths need others to control?

I thought they lack empathy and remorse, so regard other people as little more than tools to get what they want.

Seems to be at odds with actively seeking people out to "crush" and exploit?

Old 03-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something to wonder about: Could some people become more like psychopaths/sociopaths due to this form of dementia that comes on during prime working years (40-60) and strips people of empathy before it wrecks memory, etc.:

Frontotemporal Dementia | Signs, Symptoms, & Diagnosis
Old 03-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Something to wonder about: Could some people become more like psychopaths/sociopaths due to this form of dementia that comes on during prime working years (40-60) and strips people of empathy before it wrecks memory, etc.:

I dunno. I guess it is possible. That said, I think that at work I've seen just as many psychopaths/sociopaths in their 30s, as ones in their 50's.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

I thought they lack empathy and remorse, so regard other people as little more than tools to get what they want.

Agreed. This thread seems to be about psychopathic bosses as if it is a job requirement. As a boss myself, I had several individuals who worked for me over the years who'd best be defined as psychopaths.

They didn't care about controlling, beating up or 'getting something from people'. They just didn't care about anything but themselves.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree. I supervised a number of individuals and the most challenging were the crazy managers who thought their mission was to control their employees every move. Even when I reduced their salary increases and lectured them about their over bearing supervisory position, it just didn't help or change. If I could, I would have been off and the employees would certainly been better off if I could have fired them! Easier said than done.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

I'm familiar with this disease. Amethyst is correct in observing that the behavioral variant of FTD can have some striking resemblances to psychotic behavior. Uninhibited actions or "going off" on someone in a verbal confrontation, for example. For that reason, FTD has often been misdiagnosed as mental illness.

And lack of empathy certainly an issue with both FTD and bosses who torment their underlings.

However, I don't think the OP's description is a very good match to FTD, for several reasons.

The behavioral symptoms of the disease begin as a middle-aged change in personality, often a dramatic one from the person's normal behavior. Also, there are only a few 10's of thousands of men and women with FTD in the U.S. FTD strikes very few people compared to mental illness, bad manners or damage from upbringing or traumatic life events.

The lack of empathy is more a subtle thing. I've come to realize that the common definition of "not putting oneself in another's shoes" is only part of the definition. With FTD, the loss of empathy also includes losing the ability to keep yourself inside your own personality's behavioral boundaries.

In my experience with a fair number of bosses - dating back to summer jobs where 18 y.o.'s supervised 16 y.o.'s - workplace personalities are established early and don't change dramatically over time. Sometimes a bad boss is just a bad boss. And - very often - a person with an overbearing, manipulative or "bossy" personality seeks to be the boss in the workplace, the home or other social settings.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
And - very often - a person with an overbearing, manipulative or "bossy" personality seeks to be the boss in the workplace, the home or other social settings.
Like Lucy! (Yes, I agree completely.)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

I think they need others to shine their "glory". seriously. You right, while they lack empathy, they have self centerness in spades. crushing hirelings makes "them" look good.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #30

Psychopaths in Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Abusive bosses may be sadistic psychopaths or just some more pedestrian form of jerk.
This is the best answer for my vote. Why dignify and excuse such common and unpleasant people with a fancy, antiseptic diagnosis, as in "Oh, he can't help it, he has psychopath disease". It's not an illness, it's a tactic that works for them and I've changed jobs and made sure I am FI largely to get away from such toxic people.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Who do you think run HOAs?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Agreed. This thread seems to be about psychopathic bosses as if it is a job requirement. As a boss myself, I had several individuals who worked for me over the years who'd best be defined as psychopaths.

They didn't care about controlling, beating up or 'getting something from people'. They just didn't care about anything but themselves.
+1

We always had an unwritten list of employees who a manager would be smart to avoid. No matter what department they were in, what specific job they were doing or who they were working for, they always characterized the "boss" as a psycho-idiot and felt that they themselves were perfect and under-appreciated.