Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
PT with two citizenships - EU and 2nd one - Tax quetion
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
PT with two citizenships - EU and 2nd one - Tax quetion


I'm a citizen of country X and also an EU citizen. In the last 8 years I've been moving around and did not stay in one country for more than 3-4 months.

If I stay 3 months in lets say France and then 3 months in Italy and 3 months in Spain - does this time "adds up" to an "EU total" of 9 month and means that I'm taxable in the EU as a European citizen ?

In other words, should I avoid being in any specific country more than 3-6 months or should I stay outside of the entire EU all together for more than 3-6 months a year?

Davidil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Alan's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee ba gum
Posts: 23,157
If it's really important to you, I would consult an international tax advisor. The rules for your country of citizenship could easily differ from others, and it will depend on tax treaties with individual EU countries etc.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Enough private pension and SS income to cover all needs
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,301
There is no unified tax code in the EU so there is so such thing as being "taxable in the EU as a European citizen". French citizens who live in Brussels for example pay taxes in Belgium based on the Belgian tax code. Each country has rules as to what constitutes residency for tax purposes. Staying only a short period of time in a given country might not necessarily prevent you from being taxable in that country.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Like the previous poster said, EU taxes are a matter of national law.

I have some familiarity with Italian taxes. If you are present in Italy for more than half the year, you owe taxes to Italy on your worldwide income for the entire year. So if you're only in Italy for three months a year, no problem.
bigscrooge is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2ND Chances NYEXPAT Hi, I am... 35 07-17-2009 04:27 PM
2nd Million MattInAustin FIRE and Money 8 03-31-2005 08:08 AM
2nd Job Whisper9999 FIRE and Money 2 08-23-2004 07:20 PM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.