Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: My PRIMARY motivation for retirement is or was...
to escape a very bad work situation; I could barely take it any more 17 12.69%
to get out of a tolerable but unpleasant work situation 12 8.96%
to pursue specific enjoyable pursuits in retirement; work was OK but irrelevant 42 31.34%
to just relax and minimize anything of a stressful or demanding nature 38 28.36%
to reduce my workload which was rewarding but too demanding 8 5.97%
I can't really identify a predominant motivation - it was a balance 17 12.69%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Looks like things are no better for wine drinkers:
Wine lovers must make do with no more than four liters of cask wine per day
I had no idea those Aussies were so uptight...

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'd have to say none of the above - I'm doing it to own my own time and do what I want and pursue my own agenda, not anyone else's. I've had my share of crappy and great jobs - what I realized, luckily enough early on - was the FI key - and that could be FI for a few years only. To be able to mentally tell someone FU if I don't want to work for them and know that I have enough money to at least cover a few years of no tworking, makes for me a huge mental transformation. I then can do the job to the best of my ability and not worry about the long-term affects. One great thing about the military is every year there's about a 33% turnover....can be a new job every year, although their idea of "I own your a$$" 24 hours gets old. I had my Reserve boss ask me to go on 365 day orders - I said no :-) 8 days here, 12 days here, is OK and keep me in the game. However, longer than that and they are getting too attached. It's the same for my business - short projects - definable deliverables. Gives me breaks of time.

I'll be honest, I don't know if I'll totally retire from the consulting business - from the military, yes. But as above, the key is FI.

Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was looking for an excuse to post this link. Thanks bbbami!

Racing fans "limited" to 24 beers a day - Yahoo! News
......Hey glad to oblige! ......
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #44
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My version of number 3 was something like:
Hey, I'm FI! - now I can go do all those things I've always wanted to do; work is really starting to get in the way!

I agree - and chose #3 also! While I do thoroughly enjoy my j*bs, being employed just continues to get in the way of things I look forward to doing (extended trips, being involved in certain organizations to the degree I am interested in, etc...) Like many here, I have golden handcuffs (and anklets!) - just have to wait to a certain age to collect! However, I am practicing RE like mad on weekends and vacations! 11 or so more years to go!
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets
Left on Oct 1st. Time to go and I'm just eligble this month. Been in construction for 30 years and my knowledge and nohow is not wanted.
also started school at 4 years old and have been making my way since I was 13. Time to step out and enjoy life. 7 days and counting.
19kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #46
Originally Posted by 19kilo View Post
left on oct 1st. Time to go and i'm just eligble this month. Been in construction for 30 years and my knowledge and nohow is not wanted.
Also started school at 4 years old and have been making my way since i was 13. Time to step out and enjoy life. 7 days and counting.
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado
In my situation, it was a balance. I worked for the same company for 30 years and have seen it change so much. When I joined it, I went to work there instead of somewhere else because of the people with which I would be working. Gradually over the years, the company (the people at the top) has changed dramatically. The people who really cared about employees have gradually been replaced by the current crop of MBA's who know they won't last long in any one situation or company and are out to make the most money in the least amount of time. That has made work less enjoyable. At the same time, the company focus has changed to a very short term emphasis (no concern for the future). Since I worked in research, that meant my work was given less importance.
[Maybe this just sounds like a microcosm of what has happened to American business in general over the last 30 years....]
In addition, I saw many people that said they wanted to do other things with their lives - and then waited too late to do them. They ended up dying or being physically unable to live their dreams. I didn't want to end up like that.

SciFiFan53 is offline   Reply With Quote