Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Yes, St. Joseph goes in upside down and as far as I know his presence is supposed to bring good luck in selling your home. Not sure what the point would be of burying him after a sale although there appeared to be lots of discussion about whether you leave him or dig him up and take him with you to your new home. We left him!
Ahh, it's coming back to me now. We buried him upside down and then I dug him up after we sold/moved. I then chucked him at the sellers of the house we later bought. That helped bring the price down... significantly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Update! on house sale
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update! on house sale

We listed the house and before it even hit the MLS we had a showing. Then, a couple days later we buried the St Joseph's statue under the "For Sale" sign, upside down, facing the house. The next morning the same people who looked at it the first day came back for another look and then made a cash offer! We negotiated a bit and signed the contract for a price that I never really expected to get. Does the St. Joesph's statue have anything to do with it? Maybe or maybe not. We did alot to make sure our house stood out, but this market is terrible and houses in our area are going for a song. Thank you all for wishing us luck too... maybe that had something to do with it too! I just pray now that nothing stands in the way of closing. Sfter that, I'll give my notice at work and we will be off on our next adventure. Traveling the US and Canada in our RV. Only a month away!! Can you tell I'm excited now?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow ! That was quick . Congratulations !
Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #24

Congratulations!
I keep telling myself I'm reality-based but if we ever try to sell our place, I know I'm going to go looking for a St. Joseph's statue, darn it.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's wonderful! I don't think St. Joe had anything to do with it. Probably the attention you gave your house made it stand out from the competition. And you only need one buyer!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck to. We are working a similar plan. We hope to list our sell our home within the next year, sell or get rid of much of the furniture. put some in storage, and rent in the south of Spain or Portugal for 6 months. After that we will come back and buy or rent something that we can easily walk away from for up to 3 or 4 months at a time. We like to travel.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

It's St joesephs and rapture days that keep my religious feelings strong. whack0loon strong.
Best thing I can do to sell a house is to move out of it. Even without a cat anymore, my living in a place does nothing to raise sales appeal.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #28

Lemming,

We are right there with you! The last house we sold, I stayed there the last night until 3AM cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. The guy who bought it flipped it - totally tore out almost all the floors- there was no need for me to clean to that degree. It is a beautiful house (on the cover of a book about our town), but the photo was taken AFTER he flipped it.

as a side note: My mom has two kittens and she so wants us to take one. I love cats, but not taking another one until after we list/sell this house. Cats just have a way of letting their presence be known.....
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #29

Day we moved out, I paid a maid service to come in and do a one-time deep cleaning (super-thorough). I suppose I could have just done some basic cleaning but I figured it was a token for the buyer to come in and not have to worry. All in all, best $200 I've ever spent.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Our house is not selling - the market in SoCal is horrible. I'm going out to bury St. Joseph tomorrow to see if that helps! I'm glad that your experience was fast!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #31

We're in northern VA and received a reasonable offer on our property yesterday without any big contingencies- we've countered and hoping to have a deal done today! Normal contingencies, financing, appraisal, and home inspection which are big enough these days to worry about but buyer brings a good down payment so hopefully the bank portion will go okay.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
Our house is not selling - the market in SoCal is horrible. I'm going out to bury St. Joseph tomorrow to see if that helps! I'm glad that your experience was fast!
We also found that a nice big price reduction and accepting an offer below our reduced asking price enhanced St. Joseph's powers. We had a beautiful home in perfect condition that was perfectly staged but ultimately it was all about the right price.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #33

Update, our contract is signed, buyer accepted our counter and starting the process, home inspection later this week. We also have to have our septic tank emptied and inspected so will have to spend some time trying to remember where exactly they will need to dig to get to the cleanout.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing4it View Post
We listed the house and before it even hit the MLS we had a showing. Then, a couple days later we buried the St Joseph's statue under the "For Sale" sign, upside down, facing the house. The next morning the same people who looked at it the first day came back for another look and then made a cash offer! We negotiated a bit and signed the contract for a price that I never really expected to get.?
Wow--that was fast! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Update, our contract is signed, buyer accepted our counter and starting the process, home inspection later this week. We also have to have our septic tank emptied and inspected so will have to spend some time trying to remember where exactly they will need to dig to get to the cleanout.
Sweet! (about the signed contract, not so much the septic tank activity ).