Join Early Retirement Today

Re: QEII
Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you go - don't forget to wash your hands and wear a face mask!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0-2703,00.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I never have a problem finding rather nice traditional cruises to nice locations with full service (food, waitstaff, maid service, entertainment/shows, etc) for well under $120 per night. I've looked into freighter cruises, but it seems like there isn't much of a cost savings with them vs. a traditional cruise.

Maybe if you like solitude the freighter is the way to go, although there's usually a nice, quiet place on every cruise ship (you just have to find it). I remember it was deck 11, aft on the Celebrity Century we took for our honeymoon cruise. Quiet, open air cafe that was usually deserted. You could look out and watch the sun set, and watch the ship's wake work it's way to nothing on the horizon.
yeah, 120 a day is not a bargain really. but i don't get the appeal of most cruises anyways (shrug)

Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh
yeah, 120 a day is not a bargain really. but i don't get the appeal of most cruises anyways (shrug)
No computers, no cell phones, no cooking, no cleaning, the hot tub's always ready, the ice cream never runs out, no driving errands, no To-Do lists, hundreds of scantily-clad bodies lounging around most of the day, interesting people who have time to laze around & chat, world-class fitness centers & spas, an occasionally very impressive show, corny yet entertaining entertainment, a chance to see other sights & cultures, interesting talks & slide shows, and free coffee/cookies every afternoon.

When we're on cruise our teen is surrounded by a new peer group, totally self-entertaining, and exhausted by the end of every day.

Spouse and I have plenty of quality family time during the five minutes our kid stops by every hour or two. Otherwise we manage to find ways to while away the day...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh
A different tropical paradise every day. New islands to explore. Good food when you want it. No driving, no stress. No schedule. Looking out and seeing nothing but blue sky and blue water all around. Sunsets. Passing a lone ship in the night. "Broadway" shows. No phone.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #25

speaking of the queen e ii, the caribbean princess ( http://tinyurl.com/2qculd ) will soon be setting sail from fort lauderdale with over 3000 gay guys on board and i just might be among that number.

some guy is selling his balcony suite for the per person price (1/2 off). gonna call the travel people tomorrow but does anyone know what i need to do to assure a proper transfer or if these tickets are even transferable? is there some way to assure myself that i am not buying bogus tickets?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
some guy is selling his balcony suite for the per person price (1/2 off). gonna call the travel people tomorrow but does anyone know what i need to do to assure a proper transfer or if these tickets are even transferable? is there some way to assure myself that i am not buying bogus tickets?
Cruise tickets are about as transferable these days as airline tickets. When we sign up for a cruise NCL has an entire page of Homeland Security info to fill out, and this year you'll need a passport to get back from the Caribbean.

I'd be astounded if you could buy him out, but if it was legit it'd probably involve a rep from the cruise line as well. Good luck...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #27

geez. homeland security. hadn't thought of that. fortunately i found a site that offers the same deal as this guy and there are 10 rooms left with balconies. also found out an x-roomate of mine is going with his lover so i'll know people onboard. thanx for the input nords. sounds like good enough reason to avoid a collision with the cruise ship scalper.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've got it!

When I RE I will sell my house and invest the proceeds. Then I will become a ship's doctor on a luxurious cruise line. Will have to hone up on general practice, but that's not a dealbreaker. Will be able to live on board, all expenses paid, see the world, and get paid for it.

Thank you all for the great idea!

Rich?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Then I will become a ship's doctor on a luxurious cruise line. Will have to hone up on general practice, but that's not a dealbreaker. Will be able to live on board, all expenses paid, see the world, and get paid for it.
Wasn't there a TV show about you? How many ex-wives are you supporting?

I think being a doctor on a cruise ship is at least as messy as running the medical tent at the X-games Olympics.

Do you enjoy public-health hygiene & sanitation inspections? What's the most number of bazooka-puking diarrhetic flu cases you've treated in one day? Sunburn? Alcohol poisoning? Cardiac arrest?

Old 02-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know someone who teaches bridge on cruiselines. Being a ship's doctor sounds a little messier, as Nords so aptly pointed out, but I guess it's a way to go. :P