Join Early Retirement Today

QEII
Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

QEII

Anybody think about taking this 102 day cruise around the world? It sails to 24 countries and 39 ports-of-call. It looks like you have to call or submit information before they will give a quote. It looks like something I might like to do after I retire in 2008.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: QEII
Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you got a link?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks like you can get a reasonable cabin for about 25K for next years 105 day one. I did hear about one lady in her 80s that preety much made the QE2 her home, beats the heck out of a nursing home. I am reasonably sure you could get by on under $100K per year and live full time on a cruise ship.

http://www.cunard.com/CruiseItinerar...pID=&Tab=Fares

I am going to check out the QE2 when she stops in Honolulu Friday.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Can you let us know what the single supliment is?
I've seen the lowest price - New York/New York for about 105 days for about $18,000. But that is based upon double occupancey. So for two it would be $36K but I couldn't find what it would be for for a single person.

One aspect of the QEII passengers is their age it is descrpibed not as 80+ but 100-

Not a bad thing

Please let us know what you find out.
thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew a doctor who retired and he and his wife took one of these cruises. He told me one morning at breakfast one of his fellow passengers was not there. The man's wife explained he had died during the night and she was having him kept in cold storage onboard until the cruise ended. A few weeks later another passenger died and his wife went with the body, flew home and had the funeral, then flew back to the next port and rejoined them. He said he announced to the group if he died to put him in the ice box holding a martini.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I did hear about one lady in her 80s that preety much made the QE2 her home, beats the heck out of a nursing home. I am reasonably sure you could get by on under $100K per year and live full time on a cruise ship.
I am going to check out the QE2 when she stops in Honolulu Friday.
That was originally labeled an urban legend but later validated by both Cunard & NCL, each of which have several "frequent cruisers" who live aboard for months at a time. Even at full retail it's competitive with living in a full-care facility, and the advantage of a cruise ship is a regular influx of passengers who've never heard your sea stories before.

It's the afloat version of the "Holiday Inn" long-term care insurance program.

On our last cruise a couple in their 60s was on their 48th cruise. On that same cruise I met a couple who contract with cruise lines to deliver their talks & shows around their fleet. Some years they live afloat full-time, and in the last five years they've never been employed less than 30 weeks per year. It works out to six or eight weekly hours of stand-up for $50/hour and a comped cabin.

My parents-in-law have also heard of an Elderhostel customer who's on an eight-year streak of perpetual travel, so he has a group of friends who re-unite several weeks a year.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Nord.... I read an article about one lady who 'bought' her cabin... can't remember what she paid for it... she had been on a ship for over 20 years.... they had to move her to another ship for retro on 'her' ship...

She did say that she got new neighbors all the time and loved it... her rich husband had died when he was 'young' and she just started to do the cruises and stayed...
Old 02-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #8

time shares for $100k/month. port fees & taxes extra.

www.residentialcruiseline.com

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. Wow a little more than I thought. But I have the same problem as dex. I guess I would have to find a friend willing to spend that kind of money. Someone with whom I can get along? :
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
time shares for $100k/month. port fees & taxes extra.

www.residentialcruiseline.com
I think it was cheaper than this one... but she did pay for it 20 plus years ago... now looking at the site... this has bigger suites and they cost a LOT... and have an annual fee more than I think you could pay for some of the normal ships...

But think about it... you get your food, health and maid service for life...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One of my dads neighbors is a "minister" and performs ministry duties aboard several cruise ships, along with acting as a pleasant dance partner for single older women.

He isnt home much, and since he's a huge cheapskate, he's getting some kind of long term deals out of the cruise lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea
Someone with whom I can get along?
Hmmm...you and a friend in an 8x5 cell cabin...sounds great!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure CFB is easy to live with.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just dont drink my beer and its all good.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Hmmm...you and a friend in an 8x5 cell cabin...sounds great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Just dont drink my beer and its all good.
They never served beer on my submarines, so this is wonderful!

No watchstanding or inport duty, either.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

How about the Freedom Ship - the city at sea?

http://www.freedomship.com/

Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm suprised none of you frugal types have mentioned that you can cruise around the world on many freighters for about $120 per day. There are no organized activities, and there may only be a handful of other passengers, but you get a nice cabin, three meals a day, and you visit the same places.

http://www.freightercruises.com/
Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #17

Hey looks like a great option. I have a tendency to get sea sick even with the patches. I was hoping the larger ship would solve that problem.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

That would be the problem with a lot of the freighter deals.

When someone waxes positively on them I usually ask if they dont mind camping, portapotties and eating at dives they're fairly sure wouldnt pass a fair health department visit. If the answers are yes and they dont have problems with motion sickness, the freighter/cruise deals are exceedingly good and very inexpensive.

I mean all of this in a good way. Please see my disclaimer.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm suprised none of you frugal types have mentioned that you can cruise around the world on many freighters for about $120 per day.
I never have a problem finding rather nice traditional cruises to nice locations with full service (food, waitstaff, maid service, entertainment/shows, etc) for well under $120 per night. I've looked into freighter cruises, but it seems like there isn't much of a cost savings with them vs. a traditional cruise.

Maybe if you like solitude the freighter is the way to go, although there's usually a nice, quiet place on every cruise ship (you just have to find it). I remember it was deck 11, aft on the Celebrity Century we took for our honeymoon cruise. Quiet, open air cafe that was usually deserted. You could look out and watch the sun set, and watch the ship's wake work it's way to nothing on the horizon.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

As ClifP mentioned, looks like they're still on schedule for their Honolulu port visit.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/08/news/story08.html