Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the factory sticker is $63000.......and, the discount is 6 to 7% ......as it is.....I know, the cost of the truck is within 4 to 5k of the sticker price. Now, what could change this?.....last years model with additional incentive.....some miles on the truck during a short lease.....factory customer incentives......could be 4 or 5k......BUT don't be mislead thinking a dealer can give a 10k discount on a new truck and stay in business. If a dealer tells you that, ask to see the invoice, go on the GM website and look up customer incentives and be aware that sometimes they represent 0% financing, adding up the savings compared to traditional financing.....high mark up dealer installed options, sometimes adding the ability to add big discounts.....incentives by State of home ownership.....so someone in California could buy the truck cheaper than someone living in another State.....it is a little confusing but it is misleading to think ANY dealer could knock off $10,000 of the basic sticker price.....the dealer just DOES NOT have that kind of mark up.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
If the factory sticker is $63000.......and, the discount is 6 to 7% ......as it is.....I know, the cost of the truck is within 4 to 5k of the sticker price. Now, what could change this?.....last years model with additional incentive.....some miles on the truck during a short lease.....factory customer incentives......could be 4 or 5k......BUT don't be mislead thinking a dealer can give a 10k discount on a new truck and stay in business. If a dealer tells you that, ask to see the invoice, go on the GM website and look up customer incentives and be aware that sometimes they represent 0% financing, adding up the savings compared to traditional financing.....high mark up dealer installed options, sometimes adding the ability to add big discounts.....incentives by State of home ownership.....so someone in California could buy the truck cheaper than someone living in another State.....it is a little confusing but it is misleading to think ANY dealer could knock off $10,000 of the basic sticker price.....the dealer just DOES NOT have that kind of mark up.
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Built After Aug 14 for sale in Boise - 1GT424E85FF625338 - Dennis Dillon GMC

lots of mark up...
Old 06-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...it is a little confusing but it is misleading to think ANY dealer could knock off $10,000 of the basic sticker price.....the dealer just DOES NOT have that kind of mark up.
Does it really matter to the buyer where the discount is coming from?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Does it really matter to the buyer where the discount is coming from?
Jerome has probably been paying close to MSRP all these years.

My last new truck was a 2011 4x4 ranger that I bought in Jan 2012.

MSRP was $28K. I got it for $19K, no haggle.

New cars have a ton of mark up.

Some dealers can still get close to or MSRP however. A good example are our local Subaru dealers. High demand and low inventory so they can get it. I usually get an internet quote from an out of state dealer and start my negotiations from there. Saved a few grand on my wife's new 13 FXT that way.

"oh we're not making any money on this, etc." gimme a break
Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What we bought is not even close to "basic".

It has almost every option and add on that was available so the dealer had a LOT of room to discount and still make money.

The Vegas dealers weren't willing to do that because they get very few of this type of truck. The Boise dealer sells a lot of them.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #26

Bamaman is right, the GMC and Chevy are essentially the same truck, it even says so on the cover of the service manual. I think the GMC has a few more options and perhaps a bit closer tolerances on fit & finish but the guts are the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC_manual.jpg (70.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Bamaman is right, the GMC and Chevy are essentially the same truck, it even says so on the cover of the service manual. I think the GMC has a few more options and perhaps a bit closer tolerances on fit & finish but the guts are the same.
I've had several Chevy and GMC trucks. Back in the day, the Chevy was the more optioned model with the Silverado Package, etc. The GMC was considered the "working man's" truck and more plain Jane, so to say. Drive lines and body parts were identical.

Maybe in today's worid of juicing up vehicles with lots of expensive options, GMC has joined the party.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think the GMC has a few more options and perhaps a bit closer tolerances on fit & finish but the guts are the same.
Actually they are produced on the same assembly line by the same workers. The 'fit and finish' differences are probably due to the production schedule, with Chevys mfg. on MWF and GMCs on TT.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go to thecarconnection.com web page, look up GMC and you'll see for yourself the difference between sticker and invoice.......it isn't even close to 10k. Remember I didn't say you couldn't save 10k on a $63000 truck.....I said the dealer doesn't have 10k in mark up.......please read my post, again, and look at the whole picture before you make your decision. I'd hate for a customer to think he was getting screwed when there werent any factory incentives.....or expensive high gross profit equipment added....or sometimes a dealer might add "additional dealer profit" that usse that added profit as part of the bigger discount. If you take Consumer Reports they'll publish sticker and invoice prices from time to time....e mail them and ask for the true story.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I really like the Cedar Creeks floorplans and their high ceilings in the living area. They're definitely full size, heavy trailers requiring a dually.

You say, " I could park in the woods and never come out." I just hope you can find some trees to camp in without having to go too far. It's pretty desert-y around Las Vegas.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Go to thecarconnection.com web page, look up GMC and you'll see for yourself the difference between sticker and invoice.......it isn't even close to 10k.
Do some additional research and you'll see the "invoice price" isn't all that meaningful when it comes to what the dealership actually pays for a vehicle.

Quote:
AS A RESULT, THE INVOICE PRICE HAS BECOME A BLOATED IMPOSTER THAT BEARS NO RELATIONSHIP TO ANY ESTIMATE OF "DEALER COST."
Fighting Chance New Car Buying Guide - The "Dealer Invoice Price" Is A Bloated Imposter

The Eye-Opening Truth About Dealer Invoice Price
Old 06-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #32

REW is correct. Dealers don't pay "invoice" on a car. It is not representative of their cost.

My last new auto purchases were in 2003 and 2008 on a Chevy and a Honda. Both were negotiated well below "invoice."
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #33

Back to the original question, congrats to Lisa for getting what seems a good deal on a truck that is capable to tow the new trailer safely. It is always better to have some safety margin and the dually has the most, even if a single wheel or 3/4 ton is potentially technically within limits.

BTW, 10 hours is nothing to drive, that's an easy day by my perspective. However I do not mind road tripping and driving, whereas some people it is near torture for anything over 100 miles.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #34

I recently bought a new 2014 (in Dec 2014) Chevy Silverado, and after some dealing, paid almost $11,000 less than the $39,475 sticker price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Go to thecarconnection.com web page, look up GMC and you'll see for yourself the difference between sticker and invoice.......it isn't even close to 10k. Remember I didn't say you couldn't save 10k on a $63000 truck.....I said the dealer doesn't have 10k in mark up.......please read my post, again, and look at the whole picture before you make your decision. I'd hate for a customer to think he was getting screwed when there werent any factory incentives.....or expensive high gross profit equipment added....or sometimes a dealer might add "additional dealer profit" that usse that added profit as part of the bigger discount. If you take Consumer Reports they'll publish sticker and invoice prices from time to time....e mail them and ask for the true story.
if you are using websites like carconnection or consumer reports you may be leaving some money on the table, just sayin
Old 06-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
BTW, 10 hours is nothing to drive, that's an easy day by my perspective. However I do not mind road tripping and driving, whereas some people it is near torture for anything over 100 miles.
10 hours is nothing! We love to hop in the car and drive to some place fun for lunch. A couple of weekends ago we drove ~200 miles one way to Arizona to have lunch in an old mining town that is host to a huge pack of donkeys that were left behind when the mining stopped. The locals feed them and they just wander through town.

We regularly drive 1400 miles from Vegas to Texas to visit relatives so we can't wait to hit the road with the new truck and RV. Unfortunately I can't go to Boise on Monday with DH to get the new truck. I'm still working and can't take the day off.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Dad | ER schedule »