Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have a 5 acre lot so I'll be able to park it at home.
Nice. One of the advantages of non-city living. Tap in to your sewer, throw an electric outlet out there and you've got the ideal setting for it.

In fact, you could start your own little campground . Would the HOA approve that?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Nice. One of the advantages of non-city living. Tap in to your sewer, throw an electric outlet out there and you've got the ideal setting for it.
An electrical outlet will be no problem since I can easily tap into the line running to the water pumps. Just have to figure out how to get 110v from a 220v source...or admit defeat and hire a professional. The sewer tap is probably out of the question since I would have to use a rock saw to cut a 125 foot trench to the nearest connection point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
In fact, you could start your own little campground . Would the HOA approve that?
I don't think so, but I'll check. If the S in my SWR turns out to be a U (Unsafe), I may need something to supplement my Walmart greeter income.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Wow! Like I've said before, some folks around here swing heavy bats.

Congrats!

Ha
At 293k, I'll second that motion. I'll be one of those poor souls you see on the local news passing through your city on a 10 speed bicycle.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just have to figure out how to get 110v from a 220v source...or admit defeat and hire a professional.
Dont do anything rash. Step down transformer/converter for $30-60 will do ya. Whats the wattage requirement?

See here : Step Up Voltage Converter,Step Up Voltage Regulator,Step Up Voltage Converters,Step Up Voltage Regulators,Step Up Voltage Convertors

If you have a completely "extra" 220v, its also possible to rewire this in about 5 minutes to be 110v. 220's are just a pair of 110v hots and a ground. You remove the red 'hot' wire from its breaker and install it on the neutral bus on your panel, then connect it to the neutral connection on your 110v receptacle, using the black 'hot' and existing ground. Paint or tape the red wire white to show its new role.

This is not acceptable as code in some areas. They want the wire to actually BE white. Maybe if you cut it back and splice a white wire to it wherever exposed it might cut the mustard.

Quote:
The sewer tap is probably out of the question since I would have to use a rock saw to cut a 125 foot trench to the nearest connection point.
What? They dont sell 125' sewer hoses?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dont do anything rash.
When it comes to electrical work, I try to err on the side of caution. I got a severe dose of education while attempting to work on an early 80's combination electric range/microwave (yep, it was a harvest gold color). The ability of a capacitor to hold (and quickly release) a charge was burned into me forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
What? They dont sell 125' sewer hoses?
Probably not practical, but since you mention it I suppose I could splice together two or three 20 footers and run the output end over to the adjoining vacant lot. Since it would be both down hill and down wind, it should work fine. An added benefit would be to further discourage the owner to build a house on it.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Probably not practical, but since you mention it I suppose I could splice together two or three 20 footers and run the output end over to the adjoining vacant lot. Since it would be both down hill and down wind, it should work fine. An added benefit would be to further discourage the owner to build a house on it.
I don't want to discuss how I learned this, but I'm just commenting on the temperature-dependent expansion coefficient of raw sewage-- by any chance does the climate in your area ever get below freezing?

Quote:
Not only do I lack the energy, but also the patience to see a project of that magnitude through to its conclusion. I'd probably end up cutting corners somewhere in an effort to save a few bucks and end up with something DW wouldn't be too excited about.
He's still smarting over the way his last BlueBird conversion turned out. And don't even get him started on those meddling kids with their minivan...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Partridge family.jpg (386.2 KB, 5 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't want to discuss how I learned this, but I'm just commenting on the temperature-dependent expansion coefficient of raw sewage-- by any chance does the climate in your area ever get below freezing?
Are you attempting to explain the origin of the term "Oh sh*t, it's cold!" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
He's still smarting over the way his last BlueBird conversion turned out. And don't even get him started on those meddling kids with their minivan...
I've still got those boots...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are you attempting to explain the origin of the term "Oh sh*t, it's cold!" ?
Winter in Holy Loch, Scotland. Sewage hose (to the shore treatment facility) with a frozen plug in it. Full onboard sewage tanks. Enthusiastic young sailor with a submarine sewage pump capable of developing over 600 PSIG.

Luckily it was still below freezing, cold enough to accomplish cleanup with scrapers & dustpans... but it wasn't pretty!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . . Heaven's Demons, a notorious Minnesota scooter gang.
We eat postmasters for lunch, with a noodle salad side.

Here's a picture of the new scoot:

aprilia Sportcity 250 i.e.

It's been quite amusing driving around on this thing lately. I stopped at the library twice yesterday to use the internet and both times someone was looking at it as I walked back, once two older women and the second time an older gentleman. They had all sorts of questions. I guess summer is here. I was driving by a group of students (young college girls in bikinis sitting in the front yard on beach chairs) a couple of weeks ago on the DW's scooter and about 10 eyes followed me down the street--with lust in their eyes. It felt good . . . until I realized it was the scooter they were looking at. On the way back from the grocery store I slowed down, looked at them, stuck my thumb in my mouth then pressed it against the side of my butt, and mouthed 'pssssssss.' I got a couple giggles. It's been lots of fun, now we need to attach them to the motor home for a trip.

Chow,

Greg
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
It's been lots of fun, now we need to attach them to the motor home for a trip.
I sure hope you're referring to the scooters...

Old 06-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I believe Steve had a BornFree, which generally is a great brand. Lemons can occur anywhere.
Martha is correct. We had a 2006 32foot BornFree Class C. We bought it "used" with 9000 miles on it. It was nothing but trouble from the first day we bought it. I won't go into the details but we finally had enough and with DW's disability, being stranded (again) was not an option.

We had to do a fair amount of talking with the management of BF and after several phone calls including the CEO and the owner they finally relented and bought the coach back less depreciation. We were almost ready to get out of the RV world but after talking with a number of other RV owners at several recent RV parks we decided to go for the Moon this time instead of trading up every couple of years which seems to happen to many folks who travel a lot.

REWahoo, I would be happy to discuss our issues on a PM rather than on the board. We believe we got the lemon of the litter and the company eventually agreed. After due consideration we decided to go bigger and have plenty of room for the family.

As for swinging a big bat...we decided to go for it and see what happens. We would rather spend it now when we can enjoy it rather than later when we can't. Certain things have to be done when you know you still can. We call it the COW...Condo On Wheels. It is huge by any standards and takes some getting used to. 43,000# is not agile by any definition you can dream up. But if we wanted agile we would have bought a sports car. It will get us where we want to go and DW will be comfortable...something that was missing on the Class C. Reclining passenger seat is a real plus for her and the extra storage space and sleeping space for all the grandkids and other family members will be wonderful.

We found a wonderful company here that will pickup, store (inside warehouse with temp. controls) and deliver for less than what we paid for a single storage cube at the only other inside RV storage area in town. Plus, the additional height of the Class A forced us out of the other place. We can get it picked up or delivered with only 48 hours notice. They will even wash it (for a fee). I think my neighbor probably messed himself when I backed the beast into our driveway. I am sure he is the one that complained to the HOA about me parking my Class C there for a while while I did some work on it and ran it back and forth to the various repair shops. We loaded it up today for our trip next week and the storage company picked it up so it will be out of sight until next week. Maybe I will see how the twin air horns sound some morning.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We have several friends with Allegro buses, and they all just love them.

We went a similar route...bought a good quality motorhome, and plan to keep the RV long term. Over time, that beats having to trade often, and the better quality rigs are close to trouble free. We've had ours for nine years with one breakdown....a sheared bolt in the engine that caused us to overheat. A tiny repair, and under warranty at the time, but necessitating a 100 mile trip for the beast on a lowboy trailer, from nowhere to Grand Island NE.

We are real fans of the RV Consumer Group. Their info is invaluable in choosing rigs. Some years ago, we rated rigs for them.....they're good folks.

It's no problem to dump even if you are quite a ways away from a sewer connection. A macerator pump and a garden hose will do a fine job, even if you're several hundred feet away from a toilet or sewer cleanout. We've used our macerator in numerous situations, and it's been invaluable. (A macerator is similar to a garbage disposal for sewage.....it macerates it into a slurry that can be handled easily with a garden hose). We've snaked our hose long distances and through windows into a toilet many times, and even when volunteering in National Forests, into vault toilets. A macerator will enable you to dump in a multitude of situations where dumping would be difficult without it. Ours has paid for itself over and over, from it's original cost of $140 (probably more expensive now, as ours is a dozen years old).

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
REWahoo, I would be happy to discuss our issues on a PM rather than on the board.
SteveR,

Thanks for the offer. No need for you to relive the nightmare and wallow in the gory details for me, all I really wanted to know was who manufactured it. Glad to know you had what sounds like a reasonably satisfactory ending to a very lousy experience.

I sure understand your "trading up" logic in deciding to go for broke it and buying the COW (although I would think it more a POW - Palace On Wheels). I'm wresting with some of the same thoughts, looking for something both my beer budget and 'high standards' DW can live with/in.

I don't think I'm going to be entering the "She/He Who Dies With The Biggest Motorhome Wins" contest anytime soon. You, Audrey1 and LooseChickens have too much of a head start.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Steve for that sports car fix you can always get a sports car as your TOAD. After all parking that big boy in the parking lot of the local diner to have dinner could be a problem. Several people use small pickups as TOAD's to haul potable water and "blue boys" back and forth while boondocking.

Loosechickens' advice about the maceratror pump is spot on, though they do recommend a 1" discharge hose. If you go that route, make sure you label the hoses getting them switched around could be a bummer

And of course if you don't want to run the generator all the time while boondocking you'll need a solar system and battery bank etc.etc,etc.

Does your engine require the UltraLow Sulpher fuel? If so going to Mexico will be a non starter for several years as Mexico doesn't market it yet. However there a millions of places to see and things to do north of the boarder

Congratulations on your new Motor home hope you have many many wonderful adventures in it. After all you're on permanent vacation.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Wahoo, with all this rain, maybe you should've kept the pontoon boat...

Or...
Attached Images
File Type: jpe amphib_RV.jpe (25.4 KB, 2 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #36

Ya think maybe that was what SteveR was planning to do with his before the manufacturer bought it back?