Quick Update

SteveR

Moderator Emeritus
WoW. A lot can happen in a month.

I retired May 18 and our intended first RV voyage had to be cancelled due to mechanical and other issues with our RV. We sent it back to the factory for repairs. They took a month to go over the rig and then sent it back to us...a week too late for our first real RVing trip.

We rescheduled some of the sites and then headed out again the first week of June. We had a wonderful time meeting fellow RVers and checking out the various thngs around Zion Nat. Park. We were also checking out the repairs made to our unit and discovered some additional ones even after the full factory and chassis inspections. Not good.

To shorten the story....we eventually discussed our issues and problems with this coach with the CEO and then the president of the RV company. They reluctantly agreed to buy it back from us. We sold it and then went looking for a new rig that would meet our needs better of extended time on the road with grandkids and dogs.

Speaking of dogs...we also bought a pair of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels; one Tri-color male and one Blenheim female. They are 11 weeks old (this would explain my absence from the board over the past several weeks.). They are a handfull.

We are also picking up or new rig today. We decided on a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. It is a beast but we felt it was a good choice with our need for extended sleeping arrangements and extended time on the road.

SteveR, thanks for the update. You certainly lead an interesting life...:)

If you don't mind me asking, what brand RV did you 'return to sender'? I'm in the serious phase of looking for one and gathering every piece of information I can get my hands on regarding people's experiences - both good and bad.

Thanks.

I'm in the serious phase of looking for one and gathering every piece of information I can get my hands on regarding people's experiences - both good and bad.

REWahoo, have you decided on the type of RV yet? You know, Class A, B, C, or TT, or 5th wheel, etc... Or are you still totally open?

We are also picking up or new rig today. We decided on a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. It is a beast but we felt it was a good choice with our need for extended sleeping arrangements and extended time on the road.

Wow! Like I've said before, some folks around here swing heavy bats.

Congrats!

Ha

REWahoo, have you decided on the type of RV yet? You know, Class A, B, C, or TT, or 5th wheel, etc... Or are you still totally open?

I started out looking for what is sometimes referred to as a "B+", actually a Class C but without the cabover portion to provide better aerodynamics and less wind noise. After searching unsuccessfully for two months for a gently used one at a reasonable price, I've come to the conclusion there is better value and much better selection available in a Class A. That's where I'm focusing my search now.

That's where I'm focusing my search now.

REW - what's your storage situation? Would you store your rig at home? Covered?
Just curious. Around here for a 40' covered storage area it could cost $200-$300 per month depending on location and amenities.

I've come to the conclusion there is better value and much better selection available in a Class A.

I think you've come to the right conclusion. Did you come across any older Blue Birds yet?

Just curious. Around here for a 40' covered storage area it could cost $200-$300 per month depending on location and amenities.

This is defnitely not the LBYM section of this forum.

Ha

I have a 5 acre lot so I'll be able to park it at home. It won't be covered, at least not initially. I can park it behind my water tank (2,500 gallons) so that the tank and a grove of trees will screen it from view, a HOA requirement. If I do cover it I'll have to extend my drive down the hill behind my house to have room to build a structure large enough to house it. The cost to do that may be more than I'm willing to spend.

I know, I know...what are you saving it for? :)

I think you've come to the right conclusion. Did you come across any older Blue Birds yet?

I've run across one or two, but didn't see anything that caught my attention.

Most of my focus has been on Tiffin, Newmar and National RV models. I purchased the motor home rating CD from RV Consumer Group and have used that as a guide. The accuracy of some of their ratings on how a model handles has been reinforced by my discovery that a majority of low mileage used Class A's (2002 or older) have very poor handling scores.

I believe Steve had a BornFree, which generally is a great brand. Lemons can occur anywhere.

Good to hear from you, I hope you enjoy the new RV and it serves the purpose better than the one you turned in. I'm glad to hear they took it back without too much BS.

Sorry about your false start, Steve. What a bummer after such high expectations.

The RV business is a funny one. These are really complex machines -- kind of like combining your house and car into one giant Swiss army knife. Good luck with the new one - looks impressive. Intimidating, even.

We are close to upgrading our Class B, depending on the numbers on our trade-in -- should know this weekend. I hope you'll keep in touch as you travel. I've heard that every self-respecting RVer sooner or later ends up at LazyDays outside Tampa, so drop me a message when you get your calling.

Speaking of LazyDays, it is worth a stop. Gigantic in scope, enormous selection, but a mixed reputation for service and support. They founder is a major charitable contributor to the institution where I work, so he gets big credits on that account.

Keep us posted.

I've run across several lately that are school busses, ripe for conversion. If this is your interest, here in Texas they have had a good number of really cheap buses go at auction for under $1000, which for a diesel blue bird, is a steal. Just strip it and redo to your satisfaction, or maybe work with a custom shop to have them build it out. I thought about doing the former, but decided I just didn't have the energy, if I had found these deals 3 or 4 years ago, I would have jumped on it. :crazy:

Just strip it and redo to your satisfaction, or maybe work with a custom shop to have them build it out. I thought about doing the former, but decided I just didn't have the energy...

Not only do I lack the energy, but also the patience to see a project of that magnitude through to its conclusion. I'd probably end up cutting corners somewhere in an effort to save a few bucks and end up with something DW wouldn't be too excited about.

My best bet I think is to look for a gently used motor home. I hope to find a very well cared for 2000-2001 model [-]some widow in desperate a financial bind[/-] someone really needs to sell. I've come across a couple of bargains, but not the right motor home. I have an advisor who keeps telling me to be patient and the right [-]sucker[/-] deal will come along, and I'm trying to listen to him. But my faith in his wisdom is weakening as I recently learned he's become a member of Heaven's Demons, a notorious Minnesota scooter gang.

Last edited:
I've run across several lately that are school busses, ripe for conversion. If this is your interest, here in Texas they have had a good number of really cheap buses go at auction for under $1000, which for a diesel blue bird, is a steal. Just strip it and redo to your satisfaction, or maybe work with a custom shop to have them build it out. I thought about doing the former, but decided I just didn't have the energy, if I had found these deals 3 or 4 years ago, I would have jumped on it. :crazy:

Yeah, I thought about converting one too. But that's it, only thinking. I would never attempt to do it, knowing for sure that the end result would be either horrible or never completed ;)

Anyway, at the present time, I don't have any interest in a Class A. I'd like to get my feet wet with an older, smaller Class C like a 22.5 or 26.5 Lazy Daze.

I have a 5 acre lot so I'll be able to park it at home.

Nice. One of the advantages of non-city living. Tap in to your sewer, throw an electric outlet out there and you've got the ideal setting for it.

In fact, you could start your own little campground ;). Would the HOA approve that?

Nice. One of the advantages of non-city living. Tap in to your sewer, throw an electric outlet out there and you've got the ideal setting for it.

An electrical outlet will be no problem since I can easily tap into the line running to the water pumps. Just have to figure out how to get 110v from a 220v source...or admit defeat and hire a professional.:) The sewer tap is probably out of the question since I would have to use a rock saw to cut a 125 foot trench to the nearest connection point.

In fact, you could start your own little campground ;). Would the HOA approve that?

I don't think so, but I'll check. If the S in my SWR turns out to be a U (Unsafe), I may need something to supplement my Walmart greeter income. :p

Wow! Like I've said before, some folks around here swing heavy bats.

Congrats!

Ha
At 293k, I'll second that motion. I'll be one of those poor souls you see on the local news passing through your city on a 10 speed bicycle. :(

Just have to figure out how to get 110v from a 220v source...or admit defeat and hire a professional.

Dont do anything rash. Step down transformer/converter for $30-60 will do ya. Whats the wattage requirement?

See here : Step Up Voltage Converter,Step Up Voltage Regulator,Step Up Voltage Converters,Step Up Voltage Regulators,Step Up Voltage Convertors

If you have a completely "extra" 220v, its also possible to rewire this in about 5 minutes to be 110v. 220's are just a pair of 110v hots and a ground. You remove the red 'hot' wire from its breaker and install it on the neutral bus on your panel, then connect it to the neutral connection on your 110v receptacle, using the black 'hot' and existing ground. Paint or tape the red wire white to show its new role.

This is not acceptable as code in some areas. They want the wire to actually BE white. Maybe if you cut it back and splice a white wire to it wherever exposed it might cut the mustard.

The sewer tap is probably out of the question since I would have to use a rock saw to cut a 125 foot trench to the nearest connection point.

What? They dont sell 125' sewer hoses?

Dont do anything rash.

When it comes to electrical work, I try to err on the side of caution. I got a severe dose of education while attempting to work on an early 80's combination electric range/microwave (yep, it was a harvest gold color). The ability of a capacitor to hold (and quickly release) a charge was burned into me forever.:eek:

What? They dont sell 125' sewer hoses?

Probably not practical, but since you mention it I suppose I could splice together two or three 20 footers and run the output end over to the adjoining vacant lot. Since it would be both down hill and down wind, it should work fine. An added benefit would be to further discourage the owner to build a house on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom