Join Early Retirement Today

Quick Update
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quick Update

WoW. A lot can happen in a month.

I retired May 18 and our intended first RV voyage had to be cancelled due to mechanical and other issues with our RV. We sent it back to the factory for repairs. They took a month to go over the rig and then sent it back to us...a week too late for our first real RVing trip.

We rescheduled some of the sites and then headed out again the first week of June. We had a wonderful time meeting fellow RVers and checking out the various thngs around Zion Nat. Park. We were also checking out the repairs made to our unit and discovered some additional ones even after the full factory and chassis inspections. Not good.

To shorten the story....we eventually discussed our issues and problems with this coach with the CEO and then the president of the RV company. They reluctantly agreed to buy it back from us. We sold it and then went looking for a new rig that would meet our needs better of extended time on the road with grandkids and dogs.

Speaking of dogs...we also bought a pair of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels; one Tri-color male and one Blenheim female. They are 11 weeks old (this would explain my absence from the board over the past several weeks.). They are a handfull.

We are also picking up or new rig today. We decided on a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. It is a beast but we felt it was a good choice with our need for extended sleeping arrangements and extended time on the road.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

SteveR, thanks for the update. You certainly lead an interesting life...

If you don't mind me asking, what brand RV did you 'return to sender'? I'm in the serious phase of looking for one and gathering every piece of information I can get my hands on regarding people's experiences - both good and bad.

Thanks.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is one beautiful RV. RV really does not describe it.
Tiffin Allegro Bus Motorhomes - 24 to choose from at Lazydays!

I've been on the road for about 3 weeks now in my Casita.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm in the serious phase of looking for one and gathering every piece of information I can get my hands on regarding people's experiences - both good and bad.
REWahoo, have you decided on the type of RV yet? You know, Class A, B, C, or TT, or 5th wheel, etc... Or are you still totally open?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
We are also picking up or new rig today. We decided on a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. It is a beast but we felt it was a good choice with our need for extended sleeping arrangements and extended time on the road.
Wow! Like I've said before, some folks around here swing heavy bats.

Congrats!

Ha
Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
REWahoo, have you decided on the type of RV yet? You know, Class A, B, C, or TT, or 5th wheel, etc... Or are you still totally open?
I started out looking for what is sometimes referred to as a "B+", actually a Class C but without the cabover portion to provide better aerodynamics and less wind noise. After searching unsuccessfully for two months for a gently used one at a reasonable price, I've come to the conclusion there is better value and much better selection available in a Class A. That's where I'm focusing my search now.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just make sure whatever it is, that its chigger-proof.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's where I'm focusing my search now.
REW - what's your storage situation? Would you store your rig at home? Covered?
Just curious. Around here for a 40' covered storage area it could cost $200-$300 per month depending on location and amenities.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Just make sure whatever it is, that its chigger-proof.
Nothing is chigger proof. I'm hoping for chigger resistant.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion there is better value and much better selection available in a Class A.
I think you've come to the right conclusion. Did you come across any older Blue Birds yet?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just curious. Around here for a 40' covered storage area it could cost $200-$300 per month depending on location and amenities.
This is defnitely not the LBYM section of this forum.

Ha
Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I have a 5 acre lot so I'll be able to park it at home. It won't be covered, at least not initially. I can park it behind my water tank (2,500 gallons) so that the tank and a grove of trees will screen it from view, a HOA requirement. If I do cover it I'll have to extend my drive down the hill behind my house to have room to build a structure large enough to house it. The cost to do that may be more than I'm willing to spend.

I know, I know...what are you saving it for?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
I think you've come to the right conclusion. Did you come across any older Blue Birds yet?
I've run across one or two, but didn't see anything that caught my attention.

Most of my focus has been on Tiffin, Newmar and National RV models. I purchased the motor home rating CD from RV Consumer Group and have used that as a guide. The accuracy of some of their ratings on how a model handles has been reinforced by my discovery that a majority of low mileage used Class A's (2002 or older) have very poor handling scores.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I believe Steve had a BornFree, which generally is a great brand. Lemons can occur anywhere.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #15

Good to hear from you, I hope you enjoy the new RV and it serves the purpose better than the one you turned in. I'm glad to hear they took it back without too much BS.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I believe Steve had a BornFree, which generally is a great brand. Lemons can occur anywhere.
Ouch.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about your false start, Steve. What a bummer after such high expectations.

The RV business is a funny one. These are really complex machines -- kind of like combining your house and car into one giant Swiss army knife. Good luck with the new one - looks impressive. Intimidating, even.

We are close to upgrading our Class B, depending on the numbers on our trade-in -- should know this weekend. I hope you'll keep in touch as you travel. I've heard that every self-respecting RVer sooner or later ends up at LazyDays outside Tampa, so drop me a message when you get your calling.

Speaking of LazyDays, it is worth a stop. Gigantic in scope, enormous selection, but a mixed reputation for service and support. They founder is a major charitable contributor to the institution where I work, so he gets big credits on that account.

Keep us posted.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've run across several lately that are school busses, ripe for conversion. If this is your interest, here in Texas they have had a good number of really cheap buses go at auction for under $1000, which for a diesel blue bird, is a steal. Just strip it and redo to your satisfaction, or maybe work with a custom shop to have them build it out. I thought about doing the former, but decided I just didn't have the energy, if I had found these deals 3 or 4 years ago, I would have jumped on it.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
Just strip it and redo to your satisfaction, or maybe work with a custom shop to have them build it out. I thought about doing the former, but decided I just didn't have the energy...
Not only do I lack the energy, but also the patience to see a project of that magnitude through to its conclusion. I'd probably end up cutting corners somewhere in an effort to save a few bucks and end up with something DW wouldn't be too excited about.

My best bet I think is to look for a gently used motor home. I hope to find a very well cared for 2000-2001 model some widow in desperate a financial bind someone really needs to sell. I've come across a couple of bargains, but not the right motor home. I have an advisor who keeps telling me to be patient and the right sucker deal will come along, and I'm trying to listen to him. But my faith in his wisdom is weakening as I recently learned he's become a member of Heaven's Demons, a notorious Minnesota scooter gang.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
I've run across several lately that are school busses, ripe for conversion. If this is your interest, here in Texas they have had a good number of really cheap buses go at auction for under $1000, which for a diesel blue bird, is a steal. Just strip it and redo to your satisfaction, or maybe work with a custom shop to have them build it out. I thought about doing the former, but decided I just didn't have the energy, if I had found these deals 3 or 4 years ago, I would have jumped on it.
Yeah, I thought about converting one too. But that's it, only thinking. I would never attempt to do it, knowing for sure that the end result would be either horrible or never completed

Anyway, at the present time, I don't have any interest in a Class A. I'd like to get my feet wet with an older, smaller Class C like a 22.5 or 26.5 Lazy Daze.