Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Bored? Who has time to be bored? Since my last post my wife has been leaving chore lists every day. At least my old warden was less demanding than the "little Hitler" that I married.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sunny days = golf. Rainy days = old movies, reading, internet, napping. Life is so simple now.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
. It's difficult to let go, I know. I have many friends in the same profession who are still working, and once I leave, I will not have much in common with them anymore. I have been trying to make friends in this forum. How's that working for you?

I had the same worry about friends since most of mine were people I worked with but I've been slowly making new friends . It's pretty easy in Florida since everybody is from somewhere else and they are looking for friends also .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have many friends in the same profession who are still working, and once I leave, I will not have much in common with them anymore.
Those are not "friends" - they are co-workers.

If they truly are friends, do you meet with them on a social basis outside the office (e.g. sports, parties, kids, etc.)?

If so, that relationship should/will continue, since you are meeting in a non-work situation.

I had many "working acquaintences", but no friends. How do I know? I see none of them since I retired a bit over a year ago.

When you retire, you will (after a time) understand that your former j*b was just that. A phase in your life (like childhood, elementary/high school, college, etc.)

The next phase of your life should be exciting, interesting, and fulfilling. However, unlike the other "life events" that you "had" to do, your future is your own to plan/pursue. There is no "parent/boss" telling you what you must do.

Now you have the time (and hopefully the money ) to make this the best time of your life (it certainly is, for me )...

If you have a "false start" in your retirement, the advantage is that you have enough time (the rest of your life) to "get it right"!

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
Seems I need a push, something to strive for, a goal
Same feeling I had. The first year was like being on vacation, 2nd year I wanted "something to do" but for some reason lost interest in radio control airplanes, a hobby I'd enjoyed for 20 years. I guess I just went as far as I could with that. I also did not want to commit to a job or anything else that would have a set schedule.

A friend was building a full-size airplane (Pitts S-1) an acrobatic biplane so I spent a couple of years helping him with that 2-3 days a week. He says he wouldn't have finished it if I hadn't kept showing up to work on it.

I bought a small boat with a 5hp outboard and went fishing. I hadn't been fishing since high school so thought I'd try that since so many people seem willing to spend all their waking hours doing that if they could. It's all right, but not something I want to do all day every day.

After that I gave up and started looking for a job. In an act of desperation I was even a car salesman for a month. That was kind of neat - it was the first time in my life I've ever been fired from a job. While I have many talents, sales is not one of them.

It took a few years to find a job that (I think) will fit. I've only been there a week and a half, but the people are decent, for what I'm doing the pay is absurdly high, it gets me out of the house and will pay for some toys.

YMMV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PittsS1.jpg (18.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
(Pitts S-1)
Nice!

My father (who had a Timm N2T-1 at the time) had a "flying partner" who had a Pitts Special (Red/White stripes) back in the late 50's.

I remember the time my father's friend drew a fine from the FAA on going inverted on takeoff a few feet above the ground and doing a 180 outside loop resulting in going in the reverse of his takeoff roll. Those were the days ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Walt, I found that some of the hobbies I had before retirement just don't get me going the same way either. Oddly, playing the piano and guitar and improving my skills just isn't interesting me the way I thought it would. I am so impressed with T-Al who is doing sight reading drills!

I still garden and we are working on a landscape project. I have drifted more and more into beading projects; to the point where I don't have people to give things away to anymore and have actually thought about trying to sell some of my stuff. So far, just a thought.

One thing I truly am enjoying is working with my cousin on our old family farmhouse which we own together. Unfortunately, it had become a dumping ground for family stuff, mostly from long deceased grandparents and parents. We are doing a serious case of mission organization while another cousin, who is a remodeling contractor, is working on rebuilding floors that are suffering from dry rot. Or wet rot.

I like projects.

When this place is done, I am going to go help some good friends work on organizing their basement full of stuff.

I think this all appeals to my obsessive compulsive nature.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

R@50,
While you are still laid up from your surgery, find one 'chore' that needs to be done and that you can do. I guarantee, that 50 other more interesting things will pop up and before you know it, the entire day is over.

-- Rita, Procrastinator-in-training
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

BTW, it is raining today and I am thrilled not to be digging in the dirt on our landscaping project. Day off!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cycling, kayaking, hiking, playing music, reading... so much to so, so little time!
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #31

1st year i wasn't bored at all. this year i'm not really bored but i am getting itchy. i think i'd be ok if i was perpetually traveling but i'm stuck in real estate & no idea how long this might last. maybe i'll get a job.

i think it was walking lawton (fla gov lawton chiles) who used to take a different someone's job for a day and work it once a month or something like that. maybe that would be fun.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
Been raining all week. Due to surgery recovery this summer has not been what I anticipated. Been out of work since May 21st - 6wks sick leave, 4wks vacation then "early retirement" kicks in August 1st. Been raining all week so Ive been in the house doing some cleaning, watching Lifetime, etc. Im bored now- how will I ever survive retirement?
Seems I need a push, something to strive for, a goal
Have you been reading Ernie Zelinski and working through his "Get A Life" tree?

What have you read so far? It's a bit of a concern when the board's posters recommend all sorts of books & websites and yet the OP keeps asking what they'll do all day...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Walt, I found that some of the hobbies I had before retirement just don't get me going the same way either. Oddly, playing the piano and guitar and improving my skills just isn't interesting me the way I thought it would.
Same here! I was an avid sailor before retiring, and I assumed I would do a lot more of that, plus flyfishing, playing tennis, etc.

Once I retired though, those things lost their appeal fairly quickly. I gradually realized that for me those were recreative activities that had helped reduce stress in my career life. Now that I was retired, I didn't need to destress anymore!

We travel most of the time. That's the biggie. On top of that - it's various projects like Martha. Maybe the traveling is just one giant project!

If you had told me that almost 9 years retired and the wanderlust till raging - I would have never believed you.

But still, when I think of the future I think - wow, when we get done with our long (decade?) fulltime RVing stint, then maybe we'll do more international travel (especially by ship), etc., etc. I still dream of all the places I'd like to go. My sister just moved to Jakarta so I'm dreaming of the birdwatching trips we'll have to squeeze in in that part of the world when we go visit. It never ends!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #34

Boy I thought it was just me. I am at the year two mark, give or take a few months, and I was tempted to go back to w**k part time because I felt bored. Talked it over with hubby and he said he'd support me in whatever I chose to do.
A rainy day brought me to my senses since I really do not like commuting is foul weather (or at all for that matter.)

Looked around the house and found a myriad of deferred home improvement projects I have meant to get to "if I only had the time". Well now is the time. We are currently in the process of painting the living room. We got the dining room and foyer done also. (Nephews were home from school wanting to earn a few bucks so that jump started that project.) Now that the down stairs looks nice one just cannot have the stairwell looking, well, tired so they will get done also. Which leads us to the second floor.............need I say more.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
One thing I truly am enjoying is working with my cousin on our old family farmhouse which we own together. Unfortunately, it had become a dumping ground for family stuff, mostly from long deceased grandparents and parents. We are doing a serious case of mission organization while another cousin, who is a remodeling contractor, is working on rebuilding floors that are suffering from dry rot. Or wet rot.

I like projects.
Perhaps that's part of it. For the last couple of months I've been working on FIL's house to get it ready for sale and was actually enjoying that, seeing the dramatic difference that a coat of paint, replacing all the electrical outlets & switches and door hardware, new closet doors (it has those bi-fold sheet metal ones that always bind) and generally making it look brand new.

Then the security clearance came through and now I have to work! The timing is lousy.

But I like the people I'm working with - some interesting stories yesterday, some of them grew up without running water, hauled their water from a creek, and really did use pages from a Sears catalog and corncobs. It puts a lot of things in a different perspective. Although I did grow up in a small crowded house it did have central heating and indoor plumbing, an unknown luxury to those guys.

And the "work" can hardly be called that. I also loathe long commutes and this could hardly be better, with a ten minute drive and two traffic lights.

So the pace on FIL's house will slow, but we'll get it done.

And then I'll see if I can talk DW into taking a train trip around the country. That sounds like fun.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Those are not "friends" - they are co-workers.

If they truly are friends, do you meet with them on a social basis outside the office (e.g. sports, parties, kids, etc.)?

If so, that relationship should/will continue, since you are meeting in a non-work situation.

Now you have the time (and hopefully the money ) to make this the best time of your life (it certainly is, for me )...

If you have a "false start" in your retirement, the advantage is that you have enough time (the rest of your life) to "get it right"!

- Ron
I have many coworkers, but these are my true friends. The true technical types tend to be introverts and type B, else they would have gone into management. So, we are like-minded and enjoy each other's company. It does not mean we don't argue about politics all the time. No name calling though!

But when you retire, and having "the best time of your life" (market permitting of course) while they are still toiling, you cannot keep telling them about your travel and adventure, while they fret about their work.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same feeling I had. The first year was like being on vacation, 2nd year I wanted "something to do" but for some reason lost interest in radio control airplanes, a hobby I'd enjoyed for 20 years. I guess I just went as far as I could with that. I also did not want to commit to a job or anything else that would have a set schedule.

A friend was building a full-size airplane (Pitts S-1) an acrobatic biplane so I spent a couple of years helping him with that 2-3 days a week. He says he wouldn't have finished it if I hadn't kept showing up to work on it.

I bought a small boat with a 5hp outboard and went fishing. I hadn't been fishing since high school so thought I'd try that since so many people seem willing to spend all their waking hours doing that if they could. It's all right, but not something I want to do all day every day.

After that I gave up and started looking for a job. In an act of desperation I was even a car salesman for a month. That was kind of neat - it was the first time in my life I've ever been fired from a job. While I have many talents, sales is not one of them.

It took a few years to find a job that (I think) will fit. I've only been there a week and a half, but the people are decent, for what I'm doing the pay is absurdly high, it gets me out of the house and will pay for some toys.

YMMV.
Interesting story. Make sure the ER gods do not blast you with lightening and thunder.

BTW, if you have the talents for building a kit plane from scratch, then I'm sure you can get a job helping others build their kit planes. I, on the other hand, would probably bolt the tail onto the wing.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately evolution has saddled us with tendencies to focus on the negative, and have positive feelings of accomplishment. In additon to Moemg's suggestions, I make longs list of to do s. Every day I look and see if there is something I want to accomplish. When I do I feel great.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

My uncle used to say this before he passed away from cancer... "You have to earn each days' happiness." He'd clean the house gutters, run 5k races, all while going through treatment. Very inspiring and I think it's applicable here.
hova22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #40

RetiringAt50,

Everybody is different, (thank God), and you may need a little time to adjust. You know...you don't have to be doing anything!

Here's a start if you are in the southeast...(I plan on taking a few of the blacksmithing courses myself)... The world is waiting...Life is too short!!!!

John C. Campbell Folk School