Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

rainy days - Im bored already! what will happen once I retire?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

rainy days - Im bored already! what will happen once I retire?

Been raining all week. Due to surgery recovery this summer has not been what I anticipated. Been out of work since May 21st - 6wks sick leave, 4wks vacation then "early retirement" kicks in August 1st.
Been raining all week so Ive been in the house doing some cleaning, watching Lifetime, etc. Im bored now- how will I ever survive retirement?

Seems I need a push, something to strive for, a goal
retiringat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Suggest you keep working to avoid dying early of boredom. Plus, we need the SS tax base.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I already left - the boss is a bitch
retiringat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though I have occasionally been bored, I don't ever recall thinking "I wish I was at work"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Were you involved with anything outside of work?
After I ERed, I chose to set up and maintain a web site and news alert system for a local organization I care about. It's amusing, sometimes angering but always stimulating, and since I'm a volunteer I can blow it off when I want to travel or do something else.
If you didn't have any interests outside of your job, maybe you should think about looking at course catalogs of a nearby community college, and if there isn't one, some correspondence school maybe. Take a class in something you've never had time for - cooking, gardening, writing, whatever. You'll meet new people and get outside yourself. It worked for me.
Or volunteer at a soup kitchen. Just seeing unlucky people down and out makes me feel grateful to have a roof over my head and a sofa I can stretch out on whenever I want to.
Volunteer to teach English as a 2nd language? That's on my list.
And then there's the gym. Endorphins, and also people that are fun to observe.
We are so fortunate to be able to choose howwe spend our time.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
I already left - the boss is a bitch
Don't worry you can always find something else.

As REW said this retirement thing is not for everybody, it's a lot of stress doing nothing all day. SS and medicare can use the money.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Take a class , find a project , go to the gym daily , make new friends , try out new recipes , take a trip , remodel a room , clean out your closet , read ,shop , go to the movies , take a walk , visit a friend , have a nooner , organize your files , go to the beach , find a hobby , plan a trip , help someone , sell on ebay , organize your pictures ,clean out your spices , go for a bike ride , plant a garden , learn to cook Mexican food , make home made pizza , join an investment club , volunteer
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This is awful, retiring@50. BTW, how did your surgery go?

About three months before my R-date, i started photographing my workday, emphasizing the most boring parts so that I can remember why I wanted to leave. I went over a year confirming to myself each day that the j*b held no redeeming virtues. Maybe you could concentrate on the worst parts; you may be in a normal "buyer's remorse" phase, mourning process? Thinking of the boss as a bitch is a start. In the past, when I left j*bs, it usually took about 3 weeks to get it out of my system and start concentrating on the good future. All the best to you.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #9

Moemg, what are you trying to do, kill the guy?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #10

Moemg, I'm calling to cancel the cable & phone landline, eliminating garbage pickup in favor of composting, selling my wife's car she can walk she's tough. Heck I may sell one of the kid's I need to move the date closer so I can spend my days as you just described.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Easy. Move somewhere where it doesnt rain.

So far its only rained here once since about January. And that was for about 20 minutes and just enough to ruin the clean car.

Of course, its also about 100 with zero humidity and a nice 15-20 mph wind right now, so theres tradeoffs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #12

I used to love rainy days when I was w*rking. I was just glad no one else was outside enjoying a nice day while I had to suffer inside.

Now, I enjoy a rainy day or two so I can rest up from all the outside fun.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Now, I enjoy a rainy day or two so I can rest up from all the outside fun.
Me too, 'cause if it's nice out....I'm outside doing something or just sitting in a comfy chair under a shade tree sipping something cold. Rainy days are for resting up and watching old westerns!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
Been raining all week. Due to surgery recovery this summer has not been what I anticipated. Been out of work since May 21st - 6wks sick leave, 4wks vacation then "early retirement" kicks in August 1st.
Been raining all week so Ive been in the house doing some cleaning, watching Lifetime, etc. Im bored now- how will I ever survive retirement?

Seems I need a push, something to strive for, a goal
Isn't the daily sponge bath enough motivation?
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

You need a hobby you can do indoors. I read, nap, go to movies, play on the computer, and do woodworking when the weather's bad. When the weather's ok, I go outside to play.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Rainy days are for resting up and watching old westerns!
I love rainy days, when it isn't flooding! The rain is so peaceful and soothing, rinses all the dust and dirt off, cuts the heat, makes the plants grow, and encourages the birds to chirp happily.

It rained today, and since I took this week off from work, I was home. I cancelled my plans and decided instead to organize my files and listen to the rain. It was a really pleasant afternoon and now my files are nicely organized.

It rains twice as much here in New Orleans as it does in Missouri, and that is something that I think I will miss after I move north.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Moemg, what are you trying to do, kill the guy?
That's a gal. I looked up her previous posts. She has been fretting over ER, about not having anything to do, ever since joining this forum. I have seen other posters with the same problem.

Retiringat50, do you live alone? What activities have you had outside of work? Nearby family members?

My wife has been taking her ER very well, due to having her parents and siblings living in town, whom she gets along with very well. I have been easing myself into ER, working part-time for the last 5 years. It's difficult to let go, I know. I have many friends in the same profession who are still working, and once I leave, I will not have much in common with them anymore. I have been trying to make friends in this forum. How's that working for you?

PS. I am not a type-A personality, I don't think. Probably type AB.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I agree with NW-Bound. Perhaps you need to ease yourself into retirement by working part-time in an area that sounds interesting to you.

Retirement is about being happy...there are no set rules.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #19

R @ 50 - you need to find something to do pronto or you're gonna go nuts. Not to be demeaning, but almost all your posts have to do with "what to do" after retirement. You must be type A, and must have allowed your work to define you. You probably need to go back to work of some kind...PT, FT, volunteer, etc, otherwise I think you will think yourself into a depressive state. You don't want that...it is not healthy, retired or otherwise.

Here's a thought: How about becoming a financial advisor, or perhaps doing retirement clinics as a volunteer? You obviously know something about getting the FI part right (but need work on the "what do you do all day" issue).

Bottom line is that you need to do something fulfilling, and you need to find it fast. You will find some suggestions on this board, but you won't find what suits you without some exploring. Maybe you should polish the resume, the retirement clinic PPT presentation, and soul search your heart/mind for some of those "always wanted to do___________" items.

Good luck, keep posting, let us know how it goes and if we can offer any more help.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

My Father retired at 52. Not long after, he was walking out of the bank when he saw a traffic warden writing out a parking ticket. So he went over and said "Aw come, I've only been inside for two minutes, give me a break!". But the Traffic Warden said he didn't care and continued to write up the ticket. So my Father said, "You are all the same, you should be out catching the real bad guys, doing something really useful". The Traffic Warden, starting to get annoyed suggested that he hold his tongue."Aw screw you, give you a uniform you think you are the Gestapo!". Really annoyed, the Traffic Warden, wrote another ticket for harrassing a public official. Undeterred, my Father replied, "Shove where the sun don't shine Nazi". So the Traffic Warden said, "Right, that's it. I'm gonna write up tickets for the partially worn tire and a loose rear light. The fines are gonna p**s you off and because you got 4 tickets on one occassion you'll have to go to Court! Ha. How clever are you now wise guy! See you in Court" and gave my Father a smug 'I have the Power" grin.

So my Father answered.......................................... ..

.................................................. .............

"I don't care buddy, I'm retired, have nothing better to do and by the way, this ain't my car" turned around and walked off!

So you see, if you use your imagination, there are a multitude of ways to entertain yourself during the day.