Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Congratulations! Also, a sincere thank you for all your introspective posts over the years, I have a much better understanding of the world outside the US..........
Agreed! I just posted how you helped me on another thread (not about understanding non-US life, but about socializing not being good for everyone).

Congrats! With your intellectual energy, you won't be bored!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious Rambler, where did your forum name come from? This perhaps?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Rambler! Always encouraging to hear success stories.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

congrats
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks all! I appreciate the comments and congrats. I've been too busy to follow up. Tonight I posted a notice on our Church's Facebook group page to give away stuff we don't want to move back...I didn't expect many takers in our expat community, but we got rid of the kids beds, dressers, electric heater, kerosene heater, lamps, various decorations and kitchen stuff, all within a little over an hour. Four people wanted our freezer, and two wanted the BBQ....these are hard to find in Tokyo, and the response from the time I hit the send button was within seconds...not hours or minutes. I'm really happy about this because we didn't want to haul this stuff back to the States just to take it to the dump...and it is REALLY expensive here to get rid of things.

Everything is going smoothly. Two moving companies come tomorrow to quote...after today, we'll be saving a few bucks.

R
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Just curious Rambler, where did your forum name come from? This perhaps?

Purron, when I was in middle school, one of the other kids found a Rambler hubcap on the schoolyard, put it on my head like a hat and called me Rambler...it stuck. It never particularly bothered me because we all had some nickname or another. This stuck with me throughout high school, but dropped off when I went to college away from home. ...And because I have a tendency to "ramble" when I write, I figured it was appropriate for a screen name...

R
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Purron, when I was in middle school, one of the other kids found a Rambler hubcap on the schoolyard, put it on my head like a hat and called me Rambler...it stuck. It never particularly bothered me because we all had some nickname or another. This stuck with me throughout high school, but dropped off when I went to college away from home. ...And because I have a tendency to "ramble" when I write, I figured it was appropriate for a screen name...

R
What a great story
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #48

Congratulations !!!! May all your retirement dreams come true !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #49

We are now 6 weeks post announcement. Tomorrow the movers come for their second day of packing and hauling. They originally said it would take 3 days, now saying probably will stretch into a 4th day. My farewell for the local team is tomorrow. I did not want a big "to do" but my Japanese colleagues inform me that much as a funeral is more for those left behind than for the departed, so is the farewell for an appreciated colleague. So, I will go and do my best to enjoy it.

Each day passes with mixed feelings. Honestly, from the time the decision was made until the announcement (over two months in between), I probably experienced more melancholy than joy. With every passing day, the ratio shifts more to the joy side of the equation. The realization that I no longer have to attend 3 day meetings, nor ride 13 hour flights to attend them (or worse, 24-28 hours door to door incl two or more connections) leaves me tickled to death.

On the other hand, I will sorely miss some (definitely not all) of my colleagues. I will not miss having my PA insist on putting meetings in my schedule when I need time to think of other things. I will miss the effort she puts into making sure my needs are met and my comfort assured. I will miss my CFO's help managing costs to be able to hit a profit target. I will not miss his calls and emails informing me of every little crisis. I will miss the discussions with my HR director about finding ways to motivate people. I will not miss the calls and emails about conflicts between colleagues, the sexual harassment claims and the resultant HR councils and firings. With every passing day, I see another one of these issues that "I never have to deal with again", and that brings the cheshire cat grin back to my face.

All is well. Christmas is right around the corner, and this year's gift is time.

R
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wishing you all the best!

I'm Free x Rolling Stones - YouTube
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #51

Thanks for your insights into your feelings as the big day approaches. I had a terrible time sleeping for those last few weeks, but after the day had come and gone and we completed our move to our new place then all the stress fell away completely. - And we only moved ~250 miles, not thousands of miles like yourself.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations Rambler! Your plans all worked out. This thread brings back recent memories for me when I retired. It wasn't that long ago when I was in the same situation as you. You will really enjoy the freedom from all of the work day hassles you mention. You will appreciate your new life. Enjoy! You earned it.