Join Early Retirement Today

Rating Health Care
Old 09-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rating Health Care

I am getting ready to retire and have chosen a few area's I might move to that would hopefully enhance my lifestyle during retirement. One item I am having a problem with is trying to gauge the quality of health care in a strange locality. Does anyone know of a website or method or agency that rates the quality of health care by geographical area or any other method?

Thanks
uh

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rating Health Care
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you making reference to cities in the United States or areas throughout the world?

Old 10-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best care in the world, if money not an object, or if you have good insurance or medicare is probably USA. That's why rich Saudis come here.

Also Medicare only works in the USA.

Best heart surgery is the Cleveland Clinic. Cancer care and research is renowned at M.D. Anderson in Houston.

All the large cities with great medical schools are pretty good if you have big problems. It helps to have insurance that you can use anywhere in the country, so if you are really sick you can go to wherever the cutting edge for that particular area of research and care is.

That is why I will go for "old Medicare" when I get there, even though it might cost a bit more.

Ha
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley
One item I am having a problem with is trying to gauge the quality of health care in a strange locality.* Does anyone know of a website or method or agency that rates the quality of health care by geographical area or any other method?
America, right? Unless you're expecting continuing struggles with chronic conditions, I'm not sure it's much of an issue.

It seems that routine care is available just about anywhere, even if it involves an hour's drive to the dialysis center. If you need cataract surgery or cancer therapy, I doubt you're going to try it at the local community hospital no matter how good their reputation is. You're probably going to go to a facility in a major city, perhaps even Johns Hopkins or Mayo.

Am I missing the point of the question?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think you can beat London ON.

World class in every respect.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This article debunks the truth of health care in America.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-healthcare.htm
Old 10-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
This article debunks the truth of health care in America.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-healthcare.htm
Much of this is undoubtedly true, but skew to the question asked by the OP- where to get good health care. Presumably he is talking about the sort of acute care that one needs if he or she has a severe illness, not what % of the population gets their Pap smears or other preventive actions.

Ha
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Consumer reports does a regular thing on health care around the US, mostly by survey. Based on personal experience in my area, their results have been accurate. Two PPO's i've used in the last ten years both sucked and they were low rated. An HMO I used for 4 years was highly rated and I had very positive experiences with them.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote