Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was not surprised in the least.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I
Before my announcement, he was like an evil stepmother/diva breathing down my neck, using intimidation and bullying (as if that would entice me to work harder and longer somehow). After my announcement, his tone has changed completely - His tone now is nice and pleasant with a lot of smiles like a good house guest might act. It makes no sense to me. It is creepy. And sad. How can someone's behavior change so drastically?? He could have been nice to start with and I would have stayed longer.
I've worked in places with really good environment... and really bad ones. Some managers managed by intimidation (evil stepmother)... they push and force thinking this gets the most out of you. Well in my opinion there are better ways to get more from employees. But after your announcement the major club they had to mange you with (your job prospects going forward) is gone. At least that is my guess as to what happened.

Some of the places I worked put extreme pressure on the first level of management. I think this causes much of the bad management behavior. Yes they need to get a lot of work out of the employees. But there are different ways to motivate people... and the same method likely does not work on everyone.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #43

I gave about 3 months written notice to retire (left in the month I turned 60). I had been talking about doing this for a year or more and everyone knew it (I worked for a government agency with civil service and union protection). My boss wished me well and then proceeded to heap lots of work and special projects on me in order to get the most out of me before I left. This was duly noted by co-workers who have confided that they plan to give 2 weeks notice when their time comes and not one day more.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always been curious how people know if someone is going early. None of my coworkers know how old I am. They might wonder if I'm 65 but they wouldn't know for sure. Unless someone looks very much younger, I never assumed they were going early.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Please let us know the overall company wide reactions you get. I'd be real interested in the variety of reactions you experience.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
No problem Al, here's an update:

For some background, I have always preached early retirement and saving to the new folks and anyone who would listen. Many people knew I was retiring "sometime in the next 5 years or so" so it wasn't a huge shock. Just a surprise that the day had finally come.

The email announcement went out this morning at 10. In the 4 hours since I've gotten about 20 handshakes and 78 emails or hallway congratulations. 77 of them were clearly happy for me, wishing me luck, jealous in a nice way, etc. Many were interested in my next enterprise which I listed as "hobby farm". In retrospect I should have just said gardening and growing healthy food. About 1/3 of the folks ask if I have any plans for more work on the side.

One guy I don't really care for said "must be nice, we can't all be so lucky". Of course he's the guy building a $500K house on a lake

My boss's boss was very happy for me and wanted to know my secret. I described things like LBYM, avoid debt, live off one paycheck of a dual income, budget, plan, invest decently. I'd say that about 5% of the folks were truly interested in how to retire extra early and another 15% had a passing interest in how I did it.

Once the euphoria dies down we'll see how the remaining 10 days in the office go...
Old 03-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
I've always been curious how people know if someone is going early. None of my coworkers know how old I am. They might wonder if I'm 65 but they wouldn't know for sure. Unless someone looks very much younger, I never assumed they were going early.
I assume it depends on what early means. I retired at 50, and despite my hard partying life there's no way I looked anywhere near 65. So it was pretty obvious I was retiring early. If I retired now (59) it might be a little harder to tell, although I would like to think I would still look too young. I do know I'm not getting as many "you're too young to be retired" comments these days.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #47

My boss was also a friend and I made it no secret that ER was in my plans. He had mentioned in the past that he would like a heads up when I had a time planed. I had mentioned that 55 was my goal. In 2007 I was turning 50 and figured that I was ready. He was a little supprized but was happy for me being able to do it. He did talk me into staying for 6 months, but I agreed to only work part time, I told him I expected to make a 12:00 tee time.

I still stop by for lunch a couple of times a year to catch up and visit.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I assume it depends on what early means. I retired at 50, and despite my hard partying life there's no way I looked anywhere near 65. So it was pretty obvious I was retiring early. If I retired now (59) it might be a little harder to tell, although I would like to think I would still look too young. I do know I'm not getting as many "you're too young to be retired" comments these days.
I too retired at 50 and I'm now close to 58. I've noticed the same thing about the "your to young to be retired" comments. I use to also just tell people that I was unemployed.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

The reaction of the chairman of our board: "But 'Bryan' I don't understand...you're too young for Social Security." !!!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

When I told my boss I was retiring in my fifties, he said "But you're sixty..."

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

The day I handed my boss (the CEO) my resignation letter, he cried. Then a few days later, he was angry. A week or two after that he wouldn't even talk to me anymore.

No matter how well you think you know your boss, you'll find out who they really are when you tell them you're retiring.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
The day I handed my boss (the CEO) my resignation letter, he cried. Then a few days later, he was angry. A week or two after that he wouldn't even talk to me anymore.

Your old boss sounds mentally unstable. Probably good that you got out of there.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

My boss was too retarded to react. She told her boss, who was even more socially retarded and between the both of them asked if I would reconsider after they both stepped on me hard over the past couple of years. I had researched my situation working at this utility Cooperative and knew I was working for a Narcsisistic team that I needed to escape from. It was like leaving prison and being free from their controlling and demeaning supervision. I was glad to escape and could care less what these terrible and pathetic supervisors thought. For me.......I survived and glad to be free! I wish some of my co-workers could have walked away and FIRED like I was able to. Life is to short to be imprisoned by stupidity.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I too retired at 50 and I'm now close to 58. I've noticed the same thing about the "your to young to be retired" comments. I use to also just tell people that I was unemployed.
I'm not sure if you are joking, but if not, why would you say you're unemployed? Why not say "my investments did well, so I don't have to work"? And then smile, knowing that they are probably envious.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #55

I gave my two-weeks notice last Tuesday. My boss has been ignoring me since Thursday. Win!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I retired three years ago and had lunch with my old boss last week. As part of that conversation he asked my age and I told him. I thought it funny that he had me about 6-7 years younger and thought I had retired at 50 when I really retired at 56.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #57

Not to derail the thread, but if healthcare was truly mobile (and affordable, etc... yadda yadda), you would see far more people leaving toxic work situations for greener pastures. One of these pastures might be ER.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
So what to expect and how will they react from those who have been down this same road
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
envy
Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine said - "My dad still works and he is in his 70"" my response - good for him for finding something that fulfilling.

My silent self said "whatever"
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #60

LOL....it was basically shock and awe. I retired last year at 56.
I worked with a bunch of "all hat, no cattle" types

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum