Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Manager loses nothing by giving you praise, avoids conflict and has a chance you'll like him a bit more for giving you a compliment (guess that didn't work).

So yeah, who cares indeed
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Unless you signed some sort of contract for a set amount of time, you can walk out.
Even if you signed a contract, you can still walk out. They cannot force you to stay, that would be involuntary servitude.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Another early retiree made her "All Office" email announcement today, pretty sure she's in her 50s or maybe even 40s. So inspiring! Her last day is Monday 6/1, which leads me to speculate our company health plan covers you for the entire month even if you are on the payroll for just 1 day.
HtownRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #104
Confused about dryer sheets

I suspected the same thing at my company but I'm glad I checked. I had to stay till the second day of the month in order to get health care for the full month.
LBYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownRose View Post
Another early retiree made her "All Office" email announcement today, pretty sure she's in her 50s or maybe even 40s. So inspiring! Her last day is Monday 6/1, which leads me to speculate our company health plan covers you for the entire month even if you are on the payroll for just 1 day.
My company had that same rule, something I did not realize at the time when I reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12 and became ineligible for the company health plan. It was a pleasant surprise that I didn't have to switch to COBRA until July.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

It was the opposite for me. I got a golden handshake at 58....management downsizing. And we were financially and emotionally prepared.

My boss flew out to give me what he thought was the bad news. I was elated. He told me after the lunch that I took it very professionally and that I would have great references and contacts. HR called me later to see if I was "OK". It was difficult not to let on that I was thrilled.

Little did he know that I was prepared, and longing for this moment. Even had a lawyer tentatively selected to review the package and negotiate on my behalf.

But, after it was all done, many of my colleagues and associates were surprised the I walked away from the business. More than one told me that working as far into their 60's was a requirement because of their financial situation.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My company had that same rule, something I did not realize at the time when I reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12 and became ineligible for the company health plan. It was a pleasant surprise that I didn't have to switch to COBRA until July.

At one time an HR person revealed to me that this is a state law in many states, mine included.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

My boss was not happy and wanted to reverse my decision to retire early thinking I must certainly be mistaken to leave on my 60th birthday. I kept saying I was not interested, I knew what I was doing and I am retiring early.........Life is too short! It wasn't so much my value as an employee he wanted to keep me around as it was a means to cover up his mess, buy some time to find and train a replacement etc. The toxic environment he created was easy to leave, but leaving my career was difficult as I wasn't 100 percent prepared to make the ER jump! However, sometimes you just need to be prepared to "pull the trigger" when a work situation becomes so toxic it impacts your health negatively. My ER was a year and a half ago and I never regretted ERing! There is life outside of work! I'm Free! Happy dance!

Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownRose View Post
....which leads me to speculate our company health plan covers you for the entire month even if you are on the payroll for just 1 day.
Yes, I think this is quite typical.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wonder of wonders...

Found out they listed an ad for my replacement while I still have 2 months to go! Management was actually persuaded to be a bit less short sighted for once!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

if it wasn't for narcsististic bosses, the Dilbert Comics would never have gained ant popularity because we would not be able to relate to the stupidity of the "office"

Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #112

Update:

So this Weds I give verbal notice of my plans to retire on July 5. I offered to work PT at home to help transition some key projects under construction at about 30-40 hrs / month until early 2017. This also would ensure an extra years retirement match (about $5,000 more). Win win really. Got asked to w*rk 20 hours per week until they can find my replacement, but no longer than end of year, then PT as needed for as long as I want from home. During the half time 20 hrs/week period I only need to come in the office once per week for part of a day to help my current one person junior engineer staff. So I said sure and they seemed pretty appreciative. My goal was to leave on a good note so I still have a PT consulting option so this seems like a good arrangement. I will lose benefits at 20 Hrs/ week or less though. I will switch our family to my wife's plan.

Of course what I need to keep telling myself is that if the process takes longer than expected I can always say I'm done.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

That's a great outcome. Congratulations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Please do not assume I am not highly regarded. Any discussion in that regard is well taking up unecssary space at best.
The Indispensable Man, by Saxon White Kessinger

Sometime when you're feeling important;
Sometime when your ego 's in bloom;
Sometime when you take it for granted,
You're the best qualified in the room:
Sometime when you feel that your going,
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow these simple instructions,
And see how they humble your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,
Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you'll find that in no time,
It looks quite the same as before.

The moral of this quaint example,
Is to do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself but remember,
There's no indispensable man.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #115

More unnecessary space taken by poems applicable to some must be irreresistable. 🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #116

The poem applies to everyone.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
It certainly does! And to some more than others - for example, those entirely lacking in humility. Not that I could possibly think of such an example off the top of my head.......
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Didn't apply to Van Halen when David Lee Roth walked off.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Even if you signed a contract, you can still walk out. They cannot force you to stay, that would be involuntary servitude.
If you've signed a contract, you likely have some carrot waiting for you at the end of it. You can walk off, but you won't get the carrot.

If there was no carrot...what the heck were you signing?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #120

You think Apple doesn't miss Steve Jobs? Look at what its stock price has gone to since he left. Poem makes average Joe's feel great. Does not apply to anyone in a creative position. If you don't work on that kind of team, or on that level you wouldn't get it. I've seen the aftermath linger for a decade or more. It's not the norm, that much is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum