Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Reaction of your boss when told your ER ing in you 50's
Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reaction of your boss when told your ER ing in you 50's

Next year I'll be announcing my notice of RE at 55 which will be totally unexpected by my bosses and all of management. I will hold steadfast thru all persausion otherwise ( I'll take offers of contract eork for double salary up to 300 hrs yearly - after a three month traveling hiatus).

So what to expect and how will they react from those who have been down this same road?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most likely result, assuming you are well regarded, is they'll say "wow! Are you sure? Anything we can do to change your mind? OK. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

A lot, if not all, of it has to do with your intention and your attitude. If you have bad relationships with your boss and/or coworkers and/or internal/external clients--whether rightfully or wrongfully so--do you really want to end your working life on a contentious note? Wouldn't it be best to leave all the bad stuff behind versus getting involved in it one way or the other ("I showed them") on your way out the door? All depends on how much you have invested in being right versus being happy.

If you have a good relationship, why not leave on a high note? IMO, at the end of our lives, no matter how much or little $ we've acquired, all that's really going to matter is the quality of relationships we had.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The person who was allegedly my manager (but really an old friend) said, "Wow, that's the end of an era". The person he reported to (also an old friend) sat back, looked at me and said, "You XXXXX!" (Xpletive deleted) but with a big grin.

I got the "is there anything we do to get you to stay?" thing too from someone else but I think that's trained management-speak. I said, "well, actually... nothing". He knew I meant it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

As was said earlier, assuming you are well regarded...

When I announced the first reaction was total, speechless shock. Of course my boss was a "spend it while you can" sort who had real difficulty conceiving that someone could retire at 55.

After that came the negotiation, but it was pretty one-sided. I was managing three grants that all ran out simultaneously and I basically said that I would remain through the end of those grants and would work from home 2 days per week and transition to part-time status as the work-load wound down. They couldn't risk having me bail and leave them to manage the grants so they were more than happy to agree with the suggestion.

I would say that I left on pretty good terms with the members of the organization but, because the organization is struggling, there may be a little resentment that I didn't stick around to help right the ship. On the other hand, they didn't have the money to carry my salary after the grants ran out, so I don't know how they would have expected me to stay on.

No resentment from the other 3 persons who left the organization during the same calendar year, however. We are all still on good terms, keep in touch and socialize every now and then.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I sort of did this week as an attempt to get placed into a voluntary layoff that would get me a package. Part of me regrets it, not because I don't plan to leave but because if refused (and that is possible) it puts me at a disadvantage and I don't like that much.

But in my case my boss wasn't shocked since I have been planning and talking ER for a number of years. I will leave on good terms or I will be leaving very soon (if they accept and walk me out the same day which would create some issues potentially but I'll deal with them if that happens).
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

When I decided to leave my job, my boss cussed a blue streak that is still orbiting the earth.

He then smiled and asked if I could stay six more weeks instead of two.

I agreed.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

Please do not assume I am not highly regarded. Any discussion in that regard is well taking up unecssary space at best.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My boss had known that I planned to retire in my mid 50s as a result of a conversation that we had at breakfast one morning when I was 50. We were/are good friends and at breakfast he casually inquired as to what I was thinking in terms of retiring and I told him "zero to 5 years" and he just about choked on his eggs (I think it was the zero, not the 5 years).

When the time came (and it turned out to be six years as I did a OMY because of the recession and wanted to get down to one house before I retired), he was gracious and said that he was happy for me but sorry to see me go and that I added value to our practice and would be missed and that they didn't know what they would do without me. I responded that I appreciated it but that they had a lot of smart people there and what I was doing wasn't rocket science and the I was sure they would figure it out (which the did as I wasn't called back).

All in all, it was a non-event for me, principally because I had dropped crumbs here and there over the years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The boss started a meeting to hand out crappy assignements. I said before you start, I'll be retiring in two weeks. His and everyone else's jaws dropped. I did not give any hints beforehand.

Had my resignation letter in my pocket, been carrying it around for weeks, just waiting for a fine opportunity, pulled it out, signed it.

The silence was deafening.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

I expect it to go much as Steelyman described.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Most likely result, assuming you are well regarded, is they'll say "wow! Are you sure? Anything we can do to change your mind? OK. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
+1

I was very well regarded and got a couple of phone calls to make sure I was serious and that was about it. I thought I'd get a call later to come back and consult but it never came.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My boss was a true asshat about it, even though I was more loyal than he deserved, he didn't speak to me most of my last month. All he cared about was me retiring relatively young (57) might make him look bad, 'why would anyone leave voluntarily?'

And reactions of co-workers up and down the org chart ranged from jealous animosity to genuine best wishes - and every variation in between. And some were not as I predicted, good or bad.

But there's no general answer. No one is likely to know how your boss will react better than you do...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #14

Stunned silence.

And then I hung up.

Gives me the warm fuzzies to this day.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #15

I had been open with my management for several years that I planned to retire in my late 50's (several years from now). Due to changes in my job and my family this last year, I began considering retiring even earlier, at 55. I had an excellent relation with my direct manager so gave him a heads up one day that I was considering this. He's a good guy and I really didn't want to totally blind side him if I chose to retire. One weekend a couple months later, I made the decision to retire and notified my manager that Monday. He was hoping I wouldn't make that decision but was very supportive and gracious. We had a very good conversation. He tested me a bit on why I was choosing to retire so early and if there was anything that might change things. But he wasn't pushy and conversation was very positive. Later that week I had a very similar discussion with next level of management who offered the same tone and positive feeling. Overall my exit was done quickly (my choice) and smoothly (good response by organization) and I was very appreciative and now very much enjoying my retirement. Hope your transition goes as well.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The boss started a meeting to hand out crappy assignements. I said before you start, I'll be retiring in two weeks. His and everyone else's jaws dropped. I did not give any hints beforehand.

Had my resignation letter in my pocket, been carrying it around for weeks, just waiting for a fine opportunity, pulled it out, signed it.

The silence was deafening.
Bravo! Wish I could have seen that!
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

My boss was completely supportive, and a little jealous, but not in a negative way. About 2 percent were haters. Most were very happy for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Pretty much summed up my experience, lol.

I knew I was valuable, just not THAT in-valuable.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Please do not assume I am not highly regarded. Any discussion in that regard is well taking up unecssary space at best.
I don't think anyone was questioning that. When one announces they are a short timer, you have to delegate work that fits the time left and prep those who are picking it up.
I was well thought of... but since I was not willing to do a 30 hour/wk consulting... I doubt I'll see any work. They let me stay as long as I was willing and treated me great. But they have a company to run... and if I'm not running with them... I'm out of the company. Many of them are still good friends.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
....I was very well regarded and got a couple of phone calls to make sure I was serious and that was about it. I thought I'd get a call later to come back and consult but it never came....
Prob a much more common reality than many FIREs would care to admit.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote