Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

A acquaintance is convinced I am only scraping by and should take my pension and Social Security as soon as possible. Told her not to worry about me.
He, He. I remember hearing a similar comment from a neighbor. My response ~"Thanks for that advice Joe" I think Joe is still concerned about us, but can't afford to retire himself "just yet."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Most co-workers first expressed shock, then they congratulated me, with a significant number of them telling me they were jealous. One co-worker I still meet for lunch regularly still always tells me she's jealous.

A couple of them asked how I did it, or how I knew I had enough to retire. Those led to some interesting discussions about LBYM, tracking expenses and retirement planning tools such as Firecalc.

One told me I was too young to retire and I "still had a lot left in me". As if retirement meant I had to spend my remaining time in a rocking chair on the front porch.

My immediate boss had the most unusual reaction, though not unexpected given his personality. He first began probing to see if I was leaving because of something he had done. Then he discussed the performance review cycle that was just completing, and if I had only told him about this a few days earlier he could have given me the lowest rating in order to potentially save some else's job. After going on like this for 15 minutes, he finally lightened up and congratulated me. We then discussed how I did it and what I thought of his own financial trajectory toward retirement.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
My immediate boss had the most unusual reaction, though not unexpected given his personality. He first began probing to see if I was leaving because of something he had done. Then he discussed the performance review cycle that was just completing, and if I had only told him about this a few days earlier he could have given me the lowest rating in order to potentially save some else's job. After going on like this for 15 minutes, he finally lightened up and congratulated me. We then discussed how I did it and what I thought of his own financial trajectory toward retirement.
Boy, I bet you are going to miss him.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Boy, I bet you are going to miss him.
Oh, I miss him every day!
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
Oh, I miss him every day!
Perhaps you'd have better luck with a laser dot as opposed to open sights.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Everyone said/says "Wonderful! How I envy you!" and/or, "So, which contractor are you going with?"

They just can't believe I'd leave that "easy" contractor money on the table. And it certainly wasn't a lightly-made decision. But time > $$.

Edit: The people I like most are the ones who say, "But you're too YOUNG to retire!" They know I'm retirement age. They are just being sweet.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Perhaps you'd have better luck with a laser dot as opposed to open sights.
Comments like this are why I love this site!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I gave my notice that I was retiring the chairman of the board said, "How can you retire; aren't you too young for social security?" I guess he didn't think I had investments, like he did. To forestall the jealousy i tell most people, that my wife and I are going to give it (ER) a try but we will definitely be "scraping by". That seems to satisfy them. If they only knew!

-BB
Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm surprised by the number of people who have said "what will you do all day?" As if that changes if you retire older vs younger? I could well argue that the longer you stay the harder it is to find something to do all day; 1 because you are older and may be able to do less; 2 because all you know is work.

While I haven't retired yet the plan is in place and I've told several friends but no one at work yet. Here I expect 3 reactions, people that are happy (or jealous) that you can make the plunge, people that have no clue how you can retire sooner (these ones are the ones that don't know anything about LBYM) and some of the engineers who work for me who will be happy but upset since I have been the buffer between them and upper management and that will be gone