Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
IMO if you can't afford to have two homes then it's easier to tolerate extreme heat than extreme cold so I agree with the list.
Different strokes, I guess. When it's really cold you can add more layers and bundle up to get warm. In a Southern summer you can't get comfortable in *any* way other than to stay inside with the AC blasting constantly and hibernate from May to mid-October. You can't go around town naked, and even if you could you'd still be miserably hot.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You can't go around town naked, and even if you could you'd still be miserably hot.
If we get too many Californians moving here, that could change. At least those from SF.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In the future those "best places to retire" lists will include only locations 1,000 ft or more above sea level....
I'd go for that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
The Alabama description takes note of Fairhope, a neat city flying under most folks radar. We discovered it in 04 and decided that was the place for us. Then enter Katrina..While not directly affecting Fairhope, the area seemed to become a magnet for Katrina survivors. The house we had our eye on jumped 50K over night, then after that they took their own hurricane hit.
That did it..So long Fairhope.
Ms G and I were considering Ocean Springs MS, before Katrina. We were surprised it was still on the map!

Ocean Springs is a city in Jackson County, Mississippi, about 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Biloxi. It is part of the Pascagoula, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 17,225 at the 2000 census. As of the 2010 census, the city of Ocean Springs had a population of 23,161.
The town has a reputation as an "arts community." Its historic and secluded downtown area, with streets lined by live oak trees, is home to several art galleries and shops. It is also home to a number of ethnic restaurants relatively uncommon in surrounding communities.
Ocean Springs was the hometown of the late Walter Inglis Anderson, a nationally renowned painter and muralist who died in 1965 from lung cancer. The town plays host to several festivals, including its Peter Anderson Festival and The Herb Festival.
Ocean Springs was severely damaged on August 29, 2005, by Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed many buildings along the shoreline, including the Ocean Springs Yacht Club, and the historic wooden Fort Maurepas, and gutted or flooded other buildings. Katrina's 25 ft (7.6 m) storm surge also destroyed the Biloxi Bay Bridge, which connected Biloxi to Ocean Springs.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
With global warming, what will these lists look like in another 20 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's when the best places to bike paddle and the best places to retire lists will merge.
Fixed it for ya...

Quote:
I've been noticing that tornados and hail storms seem to be shifting both north and east. Hopefully north texas will be safe, although Houston may be under water
Hawaii has earned a well-deserved reputation for some of the nation's most miserable paved streets. The local traffic engineers shrug their shoulders and blame it on the high water table and the occasional torrential rain. (They can't blame it on freezing & thawing!) They're always searching for the miracle paving material to stave off potholes and caved-in shoulders.

Then we started driving Houston's streets. As far as I can tell, it's the only American city whose paving is in worse condition than Hawaii's streets... another problem caused by high water tables and shifting soil.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit that the area just north of the Smokeys (TN) was very comfortable in the summer, and very beautiful.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have to admit that the area just north of the Smokeys (TN) was very comfortable in the summer, and very beautiful.
Similar to one of my favorite areas, and a city that often makes these lists: Asheville NC.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Different strokes, I guess. When it's really cold you can add more layers and bundle up to get warm. In a Southern summer you can't get comfortable in *any* way other than to stay inside with the AC blasting constantly and hibernate from May to mid-October. You can't go around town naked, and even if you could you'd still be miserably hot.
Don't you find it odd that someone who hates cold weather(me) lives in one of the coldest areas in the country and someone who hates hot weather(you) lives in one of the hottest?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Like Gatlinburg area?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #30

Quote:
In the future those "best places to retire" lists will include only locations 1,000 ft or more above sea level....
Had a surveyor measure our retirement property. It is 7842.104 above the current sea level.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Like Gatlinburg area?
We spent several pleasant weeks in Townsend TN. But yes, it's in the same general area. Gatlinburg itself is a bit crazy/busy/touristy.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
+1

DW/me have lived in the same area for the last 6+ decades but have lived (me) in Texas for 18 months and (both) in Florida for 18 months, outside the area in which we were born/raised (about 90m west of NYC).

Year round warm weather is not for us. We like the four seasons and the change that each brings, both in foliage and weather. Yes, we even enjoy the snow and the cold nights and crisp mornings that most winter days bring.

Anyway, you can't normally both snow and water ski in the south ...

Different people, different wants/needs. Each place on the map is "perfect" for somebody...
Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #33

Quote:
I've been noticing that tornados and hail storms seem to be shifting both north and east. Hopefully north texas will be safe, although Houston may be under water
Oklahoma = severe weather magnet..
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Several of those choices are right in the tornado belt (Oklahoma to be the number 1)...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
The Alabama description takes note of Fairhope, a neat city flying under most folks radar. We discovered it in 04 and decided that was the place for us. Then enter Katrina..While not directly affecting Fairhope, the area seemed to become a magnet for Katrina survivors. The house we had our eye on jumped 50K over night, then after that they took their own hurricane hit.
That did it..So long Fairhope.

Fairhope was at the top of my list before Katrina, too. Katrina changed everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Don't you find it odd that someone who hates cold weather(me) lives in one of the coldest areas in the country and someone who hates hot weather(you) lives in one of the hottest?
It must be human nature to see only(or more clearly) the disadvantages of where we are, and not the disadvantages of other places where we might live. When we were looking for a potential retirement location, we were looking for low crime and no hurricanes. But what disadvantages is New Orleans known for? high crime and hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Had a surveyor measure our retirement property. It is 7842.104 above the current sea level.
Wow! That's really high. I am at -2.4 feet, and most of my suburb is at -3.6 feet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Meanwhile, the most bikeable cities (Grab your bike and head for Minneapolis - chicagotribune.com) are mostly in cold winter states but none in the above best states for retirement:

I was biking around one of the town lakes in MSP today. Absolutely glorious. More to do here than at our other boring home in AZ.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
except in Virginia, "rising sea level" is illegal so no worries.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #38

For now WV fits the bill for us. A mixture of weather, no earthquakes, tornadoes/hurricanes are rare and those are mild by other standards and short-lived. Not too crowded or desolate. Proximity to family is important.

There is no "one size fits all".