Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ready for Another Ten Best States?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ready for Another Ten Best States?

For retirement that is.
As usual I agree with some, and shook my head at the others.
YMMV

The 10 best states to retire in - Slide Show - MarketWatch
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Top 10 for people who love to sweat profusely for 4-6 months out of the year...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
+1, that's the sweatiest top 10 states list I've ever seen...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In order:

1. Tennessee
2. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama (article here: » Best States for Retirement – 2012 Topretirements ties these as 2.)
6. Arkansas
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Georgia
10. Nevada

Meanwhile, the most bikeable cities (Grab your bike and head for Minneapolis - chicagotribune.com) are mostly in cold winter states but none in the above best states for retirement:

Quote:
Minneapolis finished with a 79; tied for second were Portland, Ore., and San Francisco at 70. Rounding out the top 10 were Boston (68), Madison, Wis. (67), Washington, D.C. (65), Seattle (64), Tucson (64), New York (62) and Chicago (62).
Old 06-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

So, do chiggers, fire ants, hurricanes, or gators figure most prominently in ones retirement plans? I'm just trying to reverse engineer the selection criteria...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No kidding about warm, humid areas! Except for Nevada - warm and dry. Texas has humid areas and dry areas - all warm!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hard for me to make use of the list since it places a premium on 65+ amenities.

Sure would be nice to find a list of the best places to telework/early retire that has a decent combination of tax analysis, cost of living, and internet saturation. Think I've narrowed it down to Seattle or Tampa though, Austin was on there too until I realized Texas is the 3rd highest property tax state and FIOS is only available in a tiny part of the northern Austin area.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Administrator

I'm sure they're all lovely places, but I wouldn't want to live there. The Hudson River is as far west as I'm willing to go.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #10

The Alabama description takes note of Fairhope, a neat city flying under most folks radar. We discovered it in 04 and decided that was the place for us. Then enter Katrina..While not directly affecting Fairhope, the area seemed to become a magnet for Katrina survivors. The house we had our eye on jumped 50K over night, then after that they took their own hurricane hit.
That did it..So long Fairhope.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #11

Their #1 pick, Tennessee, has been my #1 pick for years! I decided many years ago, that if I ever left the old family homestead here in Illinois, that I'd put down roots somewhere in the sticks within about an hour drive of Nashville. We normally visit Tennessee about 4-6 times each year, and love it there!!! Although at this point in time, I'm pretty darn happy here on the homestead!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Their #1 pick, Tennessee, has been my #1 pick for years! I decided many years ago, that if I ever left the old family homestead here in Illinois, that I'd put down roots somewhere in the sticks within about an hour drive of Nashville. We normally visit Tennessee about 4-6 times each year, and love it there!!! Although at this point in time, I'm pretty darn happy here on the homestead!!!
At least Tennessee comes closer to having four seasons than most of the list. The Depp South has a mild winter, but (IMO) you more than pay for it with an awful hot, humid summer that lasts four months or more.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
At least Tennessee comes closer to having four seasons than most of the list.
That is one of the reasons for my choice! I really like having four seasons. Sure, it would be kind of nice to be able to garden year 'round, but I really enjoy seeing the trees change colors in the Fall, and freshly fallen snow in the Winter....which leads up to the trees budding out and flowers starting to poke up in the Spring!

I've never really minded snow my whole life.....absolutely loved it as a kid! Tolerated it after that.....until 5 years ago when I retired! Now I LOVE snow!!! Everything looks so bright and sparkly after a snow fall!!! And I don't HAVE TO get out in it and drive through it anymore!!! I can very easily wait 'til the roads are all plowed and clear before I venture out!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
gone traveling

With global warming, what will these lists look like in another 20 years?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
People will be promoting Arizona beachfront property and the advantages of the "Underwater Florida Villages"?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO if you can't afford to have two homes then it's easier to tolerate extreme heat than extreme cold so I agree with the list. I actually thought Oklahoma would be too cold in the winter as well as parts of Nevada. Unless you can afford to pay someone to shovel you shouldn't retire anywhere that gets snow if you have the option. My 80 year old Grandma still mows here faily good sized lawn but has to have someone else shovel her fairly small driveway. Everything is more difficult in extreme cold. YMMV
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Property (like mine ) near Lake Michigan will become widely known as the Midwestern Riviera? At least that's what I keep telling DW all winter until then...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's when the best places to bike and the best places to retire lists will merge.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
gone traveling

I've been noticing that tornados and hail storms seem to be shifting both north and east. Hopefully north texas will be safe, although Houston may be under water
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been noticing that tornados and hail storms seem to be shifting both north and east. Hopefully north texas will be safe, although Houston may be under water
In the future those "best places to retire" lists will include only locations 1,000 ft or more above sea level....