Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
There will always be more people "riding out" a volitile RE market .... people have to live SOMEWHERE. Also explains why stocks are much more risky (RE poor liquidity).
Plus the 'trading costs" for RE is 6% commission plus the cost and aggravation of a physical move, whereas a srock trade is the cllick of a mouse and $10. NO wonder stock prices are more volatile.

But some people are just in denial about property values returning to their baseline trend and keep clinging to the notion that "this time it's different". Yeah right just like with dotcoms...

My biggest concern is that the subprime fiasco might cause the long term appreciation trend to become a thing of the past.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

doesn't seem to be hurting the clampett estate. 30-day change: up $507,502. check out the ceeement pond.

Zillow - 750 Bel Air Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90077

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But some people are just in denial about property values returning to their baseline trend and keep clinging to the notion that "this time it's different". Yeah right just like with dotcoms...

My biggest concern is that the subprime fiasco might cause the long term appreciation trend to become a thing of the past.
Aren't you sort of subscribing to the notion of "this time it's different" by saying that long-term appreciation may end with this "crisis".
starter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've been on the real estate roller coaster before. This is the 4th house we've tried to sell. Two were sold in a great market (1988, 2002) but we bought a house in 1988 in the Washington DC area that we sold 8 years later for LESS than we paid for it. Bought September 1988 for $202K, sold in February 1997 for $200K. Of course now that same house is on Zillow today for $458K...

The market goes up, and people forget that it sometimes goes down. That's the way it is.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #45

Is it advisable for the buyer (me) to offer the buyer's agent an incentive to for every 10k that he can knock down on the price? I think the agent gets 1.5% of the sale price. The broker and office gets the other 1.5%.

I'm looking for 1-BR or 2-BR condos in Boston. I looked at one broker's web site, and it clearly lists some decent-looking condos in the $200k to $250k range, but when I called, the agent was so eager to steer me to the $300k+ condos in the Harvard Square area. Since I will turn this condo into a rental in a few years, I don't want it to be too fancy. I also don't want to spend an extra $100k just so that the agent and his office can make an extra $3000.

I'm going to strike off this particular agent from my list because he's obviously not working in the buyer's best interest. However, I'm thinking that the other agents I call will do the same thing because the incent for the buyer's agent is not structured for him to find the best deal for the buyer because the pay off comes from having a high sale price.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Unless you get someone who really cares about their job, the buyers agent is working for two thing. One is their commission, and the higher the sales price the higher the commission; the other is the seller who is actually paying them. Unless you get a "true" buyers agent that you are paying a fee and is not receiving payment from the seller. Some states have those.

A lot of agents also will not mention a purchase price or help you negotiate beyond showing you comparable sales. Most of them are afraid of the associated liability should you decide later that you could have gotten the home cheaper but the agents "bad advice" led you to pay more.

There are pretty good agents out there. Mine gives me any commission over 2.5% back in gift cards, lists for 2% and gives me her feelings on what the desperation level of the seller is and what price range I should be offering in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #47

why would it benefit the realtor to steer a customer to a higher price? wouldn't it behoove the realtor to steer the customer to a lower price which would accelerate the sale? isn't the lesser percent of something greater than a higher percent of nothing? perhaps not understanding this is why i never went into sales.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
"Now that the buying fervor is over, it will mean regression to the mean" kcowan

I hear a lot about this regression to the mean when people talk about real estate. However, if you mention that the stock market is way too high and must inevitably suffer a "regression to the mean" a whole forest of people will come forward and say they ride out all drops and buy more stocks at every opportunity.

That is not only inconsistent it doesn't make any sense either.

boont
The statement isn't inconsistent if these same people had sold on the way up and are diligently following a constant-mix portfolio strategy. However, unless most people are running their portfolios using a computer program, my bet is that they did exactly the opposite.

Even if they aren't using leverage, doing so would still require balls of steel. Hm...I'm going to use that as my new screen name.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
why would it benefit the realtor to steer a customer to a higher price? wouldn't it behoove the realtor to steer the customer to a lower price which would accelerate the sale? isn't the lesser percent of something greater than a higher percent of nothing? perhaps not understanding this is why i never went into sales.
True, but CFB and I pointed out the same thing. If the buyer's agent gets paid a percentage of the the sale price, he's really getting paid by the seller, so follow the money, and you'll find the agent's true loyalty. The point is that I wasn't dreaming when I felt from my initial conversation that the buyer's agent wasn't working in my interest. I'd have go to realtor.com to find me a real buyer's agent.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Easy. 3% of 350,000 is better than 3% of 300,000. And someone who quals for 300 will probably qual for 350.

Further, the average 350,000 house looks better than the average 300,000 house. Once you've showed a customer something larger, nicer and/or in a better part of town, everything else looks like crap. Its an easier sale to make because the buyer likes and wants it more, even though its a little more expensive.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
so follow the money, and you'll find the agent's true loyalty. The point is that I wasn't dreaming when I felt from my initial conversation that the buyer's agent wasn't working in my interest. I'd have go to realtor.com to find me a real buyer's agent.
That point was made for me in Malcolm Gladwell's "Freakonomics" where research showed that realtors tended to take more time to get more money for selling their own homes, yet tended to go for lower prices and quicker sales when selling customer's homes.

Apparently they're willing to take a little less on each transaction if they can make it up on volume.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote