Realization after a travel abroad ...

More power to those old folks who keep themselves fit. But for many, bodies breakdown as we age for various reasons beyond our control (job injuries, arthritis, ...).

There is a lot of truth to this. No matter what they do, some people get the short end of the stick. And then there are those who always seem to get the long end of the stick. With limited effort, fortune and good health follow them around. But I believe the majority of people fall in the middle. They control much, although admittedly not all, of their health outcomes as they get older.

I mentioned my 79 year old mother. She walks 6 miles 5-6 times a week, goes to the gym, and walks up 12 flights of stairs in her apartment complex. Living right next door to my mother is her younger sister, my aunt. I am not sure exactly how old she is but I am guessing about 75. They share the same gene pool and social-economic upbringing. There is nothing dramatically different in their backgrounds (e.g., career choices, injuries). Yet the physical condition of my aunt is rather mediocre. She is overweight, needs a walker, etc.

My mother is active and mobile, but her younger sister is not. The primary reason for these different health outcomes is because my mother and aunt made different lifestyle choices during their lives (e.g., exercise, diet), including decisions made in their more senior years. There is also the attitude issue. My mother believes that there is nothing she cannot do. A guess is that my aunt believes that there is nothing she can do.

When one starts with the assumption that he/she is or will be too old to perform given activities, then there is a good chance that this assumption will be fulfilled. This doesn't mean people shouldn't take advantage of opportunities when they can, including ER. Anything can happen. But personally, I plan to remain active my entire life.

I believe staying active is very important, yet I have made some concessions to things as I age with the belief it will help me maintain an active life down the road. In my early 40s I gave up tennis and running, and replaced them with walking in supplement to my other strength training. The knees were really taking a beating from those activities. Ten years later things have appeared to stabilize. And I am not getting on my roof ever again either! :)

One day, he decided that making left turns onto busy streets was becoming difficult for him. So, he took out his maps and plotted routes for his most common trips that minimized the left turns. Years later I read that UPS discovered that minimizing left turns made for more efficient delivery routes. As usual, he was ahead of his time.

Off topic. But if you dislike making left turns try going to Brazil. At least in Sao Paulo. Roads are designed where left turns are not made. It's crazy. You can drive for miles just to get basically across the street. Just going around in right turns only. :nonono:

I love to whine - but after 20 years of ER trying very hard to sit peacefully and watch grass grow and paint dry I find it doesn't work.

Seems like people and events get you involved and you end up very busy - doing nothing in particular.

heh heh heh - so ya think your gonna get bored in ER eh? Go ahead just try - I dare ya! :LOL::LOL::greetings10:

I rarely use my car or public transportation and mostly walk everywhere around town. I also hike in the mountains on the weekends and climb the 16 flights of stairs up to my apartment at least once a day. And then I look at 2 of my friends who were far more active than me. One came down with lupus which has put an end to her backpacking trips around the world. The other one came down with a brain infection that left him partly disabled. I doubt that a better diet, more exercise, and more positive thinking could have changed any of that. Life can change in an instant. Live it accordingly.

... I look at 2 of my friends who were far more active than me. One came down with lupus which has put an end to her backpacking trips around the world. The other one came down with a brain infection that left him partly disabled. I doubt that a better diet, more exercise, and more positive thinking could have changed any of that. Life can change in an instant. Live it accordingly.

+1

A lot of one's fate is still in the genes.

It would be sad if a person squanders his/her good genes by failing to maintain good living habits. However, one would be too optimistic to think that by "living right" he or she would stay healthy. Good exercise and diet would be necessary, but not sufficient conditions.

I believe staying active is very important, yet I have made some concessions to things as I age with the belief it will help me maintain an active life down the road. In my early 40s I gave up tennis and running, and replaced them with walking in supplement to my other strength training. The knees were really taking a beating from those activities. Ten years later things have appeared to stabilize. And I am not getting on my roof ever again either! :)
I think this is completely sane; it's my approach too. Some guys will whip the horse until it falls down, others find a different way to finish.

The combination of internet media, and people's recent fascination with being stars leads many to push themselves unduly. What counts, I believe, is staying in the game, not winning every inning.

Ha

Off topic. But if you dislike making left turns try going to Brazil. At least in Sao Paulo. Roads are designed where left turns are not made. It's crazy. You can drive for miles just to get basically across the street. Just going around in right turns only. :nonono:
I rarely drive anymore, I did not replace my car after some SOB T-boned me while I was making a left turn. I never liked L turns in traffic. I am also very careful to keep my eyes on drivers making left turns when I am in a crosswalk trying to get across the street. I believe this is the most common urban pedestrian accident. Second is a-holes turning right without stopping, especially where it is less than a hard 90 degree turn.
And I do not cross mid block. I'll walk two blocks out of my way to use a light or at least a flasher.

Ha

Hmmm... Light or flasher?

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Flasher.jpg
    Flasher.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 201
I rarely drive anymore, I did not replace my car after some SOB T-boned me while I was making a left turn. I never liked L turns in traffic. I am also very careful to keep my eyes on drivers making left turns when I am in a crosswalk trying to get across the street. I believe this is the most common urban pedestrian accident. Second is a-holes turning right without stopping, especially where it is less than a hard 90 degree turn.
And I do not cross mid block. I'll walk two blocks out of my way to use a light or at least a flasher.

Ha

Yeah, I bet a flasher would stop traffic... :p

The motto for DFW drivers is "no move is too stupid, no move is too dangerous". People will stop in the dumbest places, and sometimes back up, to make a u-turn. And then there's the "cross three lanes of traffic" to get to the off ramp. And the red light runners, of which there are many...

Impressive for any age.

I mentioned my 79 year old mother. She walks 6 miles 5-6 times a week, goes to the gym, and walks up 12 flights of stairs in her apartment complex.

In late 40s, I finally gave up playing physical sports (soccer, tennis, ...) which put a lot of strain on my already beat up knees. I was hobbling around for 3 days after playing an hour of soccer. Now, the only thing I play is golf. I miss playing soccer terribly but have no regrets. Likewise, I want to travel until I am sure that I will have no regret later.

...Likewise, I want to travel until I am sure that I will have no regret later.
I once said something similar to an fellow engineer 15 years my senior. I said that I liked to do more travel early, so that I would not regret not doing so on my deathbed later.

This engineer shook his head and said "Many patients on their deathbed simply wish for the pain to stop, and not think much about regrets".

Sad, is it not?

I once said something similar to an fellow engineer 15 years my senior. I said that I liked to do more travel early, so that I would not regret not doing so on my deathbed later.

This engineer shook his head and said "Many patients on their deathbed simply wish for the pain to stop, and not think much about regrets".

Sad, is it not?
At least he knew what he was talking about. I would be astonished if any dying man or woman gave a cap what s/he had seen or not seen. People who assert things like this just haven't been paying attention to life.

Ha

Last edited:

Sad, is it not?
That makes sense. My father suffered from dementia. I spent a great deal of time with him in his final week or so, and was with him continuously for the last day or two of his life, including the moment at which he passed away. The last words he ever spoke (which took a great deal of effort and time for him to articulate) were,

"I feel awful".

He was a pragmatic character anyway, but I know that regret about the things he didn't do or see were not the foremost things in his mind, as evidenced by his last words.

Last edited:
I rarely use my car or public transportation and mostly walk everywhere around town. I also hike in the mountains on the weekends and climb the 16 flights of stairs up to my apartment at least once a day. And then I look at 2 of my friends who were far more active than me. One came down with lupus which has put an end to her backpacking trips around the world. The other one came down with a brain infection that left him partly disabled. I doubt that a better diet, more exercise, and more positive thinking could have changed any of that. Life can change in an instant. Live it accordingly.

Yes, there are no guarantees in life.

However, if you take care of your body, the odds are *greatly* increased that you will be able to remain active in your more senior years. That is the path I'm choosing. I see no downsides, only upsides.

There are multiple ways to take care of the body. Well-known examples include not smoking, eating a balanced diet, and getting proper exercise. But even here there are no absolutes. As Dirty Harry once said (reiterated by several people above), "a man's gotta know his limitations." Proper exercise may mean less exercise, not more, or perhaps different exercise.

Yes, if the knees go bad, this may mean walking or swimming instead of running. But this is equally true for a 25 year old. The problem is with the knees, not the age.

And this is where the positive attitude comes in. The mother of a 65 year-old woman in my bicycle club told her, "aren't you too old to go bicycling?" In the mind of the mother, "old people" just don't participate in such activities. Not participating due to physical limitations is one thing. Not participating due to age is something else. I hope I never use age as an excuse.

I take advantage of opportunities as they come. I participate in enjoyable activities today because I want to do them today, not because of a preconceived notion that I will be too physically limited tomorrow. For the most part, there is no bucket list that needs to be checked off before it is to late.

And I am not getting on my roof ever again either! :)

A number of years ago my oldest friend's (now deceased) father fell from their roof (in northern Ontario) into a snow bank.......when my buddy relayed that to me I asked "What's a 90 year old man doing up on the roof?"......he said "That's what people have been asking my mother".

(Knowing his mother, she'd likely still climb up there today. ;) )

That makes sense. My father suffered from dementia. I spent a great deal of time with him in his final week or so, and was with him continuously for the last day or two of his life, including the moment at which he passed away. The last words he ever spoke (which took a great deal of effort and time for him to articulate) were,

"I feel awful".

He was a pragmatic character anyway, but I know that regret about the things he didn't do or see were not the foremost things in his mind, as evidenced by his last words.

My grandfather, with whom I had the privilege to spend his last few days, also had dementia. However, his last words were quite intriguing, as he looked right at me and stated clearly "we're Jewish, you know". This from a lifelong Methodist who had never uttered a word about anything like this before.
But no, he didn't mention any regrets, either.

I am not sure how this thread morphed into a death bed sayings. I am sure for many, regret is not what they do just before they die. The point is to DO things you enjoy while you physically can. It's not really hard thing to grasp, folks. It's a common sense that too many of us don't necessarily follow.

Oh, we all know about enjoying things and activities while we still can. Most of us are in the stage of life when our body is no longer at its prime, and we are too often reminded that our time here on earth is not open ended.

However, these things and activities often take money. And money is the issue most often brought up in this web site. People talk about WR methods constantly. Some want to die broke. Others want to be more conservative to have more money later in life when they are infirmed and need expensive care. In that way, people do live in the present; they are doing what makes them feel comfortable while facing the unknown future.

But the truth is that no matter what one chooses to do, in the end it does not matter that much, as people do not regret what they have done, or fail to do.

Last edited:
While a person on his/her death bed may not voice a "I wish I had spent more time traveling, dancing and playing with the grand kids" type of thing, I do know several people in their 80's and they all tell me pretty much the same two things - 1.) Enjoy life while you have the health and strength to do so, and 2.) Take good care of yourself and buy the best medical insurance policy you can. (Is that rally three pieces of advice?)

Hey, how about them cats? :D
I'm itching to tell you all about their latest escapades. Don't tempt me :LOL:

But the truth is that no matter what one chooses to do, in the end it does not matter that much, as people do not regret what they have done, or fail to do.
Although in our final moments, if we are suffering any discomfort, I think most of us will just be thinking something along the lines of "Aaaargh, this hurts, let's get it over with!" when I'm getting close to the end, any regrets I have will be to do with things I did or didn't do that led to the pain, suffering or death of others. So far, I have none involving humans but I do have one such regret involving a little kitty of mine who died when only a few years old. She had been displaying symptoms that at the time I thought were normal. My failure to take her to the vet may have led to her death. I still miss her and will always live with the knowledge that had I been a little more knowledgeable about cats back then, she might be alive today. Maybe not - but I will never know.

I hope I never have cause to have such regrets involving humans, but those kind of things to my mind are the big ones, the ones worth having, so to speak - not the "I wish I'd visited the Great Wall of China" or "I wish I'd visited all five continents," or "I shouldn't have been so rude to Aunt Gertrude that one Christmas."

So anyway, what was this thread about?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom