Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Impressive for any age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

I mentioned my 79 year old mother. She walks 6 miles 5-6 times a week, goes to the gym, and walks up 12 flights of stairs in her apartment complex.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I believe staying active is very important, yet I have made some concessions to things as I age with the belief it will help me maintain an active life down the road. In my early 40s I gave up tennis and running, and replaced them with walking in supplement to my other strength training. The knees were really taking a beating from those activities. Ten years later things have appeared to stabilize. And I am not getting on my roof ever again either!
In late 40s, I finally gave up playing physical sports (soccer, tennis, ...) which put a lot of strain on my already beat up knees. I was hobbling around for 3 days after playing an hour of soccer. Now, the only thing I play is golf. I miss playing soccer terribly but have no regrets. Likewise, I want to travel until I am sure that I will have no regret later.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
...Likewise, I want to travel until I am sure that I will have no regret later.
I once said something similar to an fellow engineer 15 years my senior. I said that I liked to do more travel early, so that I would not regret not doing so on my deathbed later.

This engineer shook his head and said "Many patients on their deathbed simply wish for the pain to stop, and not think much about regrets".

Sad, is it not?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I once said something similar to an fellow engineer 15 years my senior. I said that I liked to do more travel early, so that I would not regret not doing so on my deathbed later.

This engineer shook his head and said "Many patients on their deathbed simply wish for the pain to stop, and not think much about regrets".

Sad, is it not?
At least he knew what he was talking about. I would be astonished if any dying man or woman gave a cap what s/he had seen or not seen. People who assert things like this just haven't been paying attention to life.

Ha
Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #65

Quote:

Sad, is it not?
That makes sense. My father suffered from dementia. I spent a great deal of time with him in his final week or so, and was with him continuously for the last day or two of his life, including the moment at which he passed away. The last words he ever spoke (which took a great deal of effort and time for him to articulate) were,

"I feel awful".

He was a pragmatic character anyway, but I know that regret about the things he didn't do or see were not the foremost things in his mind, as evidenced by his last words.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I rarely use my car or public transportation and mostly walk everywhere around town. I also hike in the mountains on the weekends and climb the 16 flights of stairs up to my apartment at least once a day. And then I look at 2 of my friends who were far more active than me. One came down with lupus which has put an end to her backpacking trips around the world. The other one came down with a brain infection that left him partly disabled. I doubt that a better diet, more exercise, and more positive thinking could have changed any of that. Life can change in an instant. Live it accordingly.
Yes, there are no guarantees in life.

However, if you take care of your body, the odds are *greatly* increased that you will be able to remain active in your more senior years. That is the path I'm choosing. I see no downsides, only upsides.

There are multiple ways to take care of the body. Well-known examples include not smoking, eating a balanced diet, and getting proper exercise. But even here there are no absolutes. As Dirty Harry once said (reiterated by several people above), "a man's gotta know his limitations." Proper exercise may mean less exercise, not more, or perhaps different exercise.

Yes, if the knees go bad, this may mean walking or swimming instead of running. But this is equally true for a 25 year old. The problem is with the knees, not the age.

And this is where the positive attitude comes in. The mother of a 65 year-old woman in my bicycle club told her, "aren't you too old to go bicycling?" In the mind of the mother, "old people" just don't participate in such activities. Not participating due to physical limitations is one thing. Not participating due to age is something else. I hope I never use age as an excuse.

I take advantage of opportunities as they come. I participate in enjoyable activities today because I want to do them today, not because of a preconceived notion that I will be too physically limited tomorrow. For the most part, there is no bucket list that needs to be checked off before it is to late.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
And I am not getting on my roof ever again either!
A number of years ago my oldest friend's (now deceased) father fell from their roof (in northern Ontario) into a snow bank.......when my buddy relayed that to me I asked "What's a 90 year old man doing up on the roof?"......he said "That's what people have been asking my mother".

(Knowing his mother, she'd likely still climb up there today. )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That makes sense. My father suffered from dementia. I spent a great deal of time with him in his final week or so, and was with him continuously for the last day or two of his life, including the moment at which he passed away. The last words he ever spoke (which took a great deal of effort and time for him to articulate) were,

"I feel awful".

He was a pragmatic character anyway, but I know that regret about the things he didn't do or see were not the foremost things in his mind, as evidenced by his last words.

My grandfather, with whom I had the privilege to spend his last few days, also had dementia. However, his last words were quite intriguing, as he looked right at me and stated clearly "we're Jewish, you know". This from a lifelong Methodist who had never uttered a word about anything like this before.
But no, he didn't mention any regrets, either.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 AM   #69

I am not sure how this thread morphed into a death bed sayings. I am sure for many, regret is not what they do just before they die. The point is to DO things you enjoy while you physically can. It's not really hard thing to grasp, folks. It's a common sense that too many of us don't necessarily follow.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I am not sure how this thread morphed into a death bed sayings.
It's called thread drift. We're good at it here
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #71

Quote:
It's called thread drift. We're good at it here
Hey, how about them cats?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Oh, we all know about enjoying things and activities while we still can. Most of us are in the stage of life when our body is no longer at its prime, and we are too often reminded that our time here on earth is not open ended.

However, these things and activities often take money. And money is the issue most often brought up in this web site. People talk about WR methods constantly. Some want to die broke. Others want to be more conservative to have more money later in life when they are infirmed and need expensive care. In that way, people do live in the present; they are doing what makes them feel comfortable while facing the unknown future.

But the truth is that no matter what one chooses to do, in the end it does not matter that much, as people do not regret what they have done, or fail to do.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

While a person on his/her death bed may not voice a "I wish I had spent more time traveling, dancing and playing with the grand kids" type of thing, I do know several people in their 80's and they all tell me pretty much the same two things - 1.) Enjoy life while you have the health and strength to do so, and 2.) Take good care of yourself and buy the best medical insurance policy you can. (Is that rally three pieces of advice?)
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Hey, how about them cats?
I'm itching to tell you all about their latest escapades. Don't tempt me

Quote:
But the truth is that no matter what one chooses to do, in the end it does not matter that much, as people do not regret what they have done, or fail to do.
Although in our final moments, if we are suffering any discomfort, I think most of us will just be thinking something along the lines of "Aaaargh, this hurts, let's get it over with!" when I'm getting close to the end, any regrets I have will be to do with things I did or didn't do that led to the pain, suffering or death of others. So far, I have none involving humans but I do have one such regret involving a little kitty of mine who died when only a few years old. She had been displaying symptoms that at the time I thought were normal. My failure to take her to the vet may have led to her death. I still miss her and will always live with the knowledge that had I been a little more knowledgeable about cats back then, she might be alive today. Maybe not - but I will never know.

I hope I never have cause to have such regrets involving humans, but those kind of things to my mind are the big ones, the ones worth having, so to speak - not the "I wish I'd visited the Great Wall of China" or "I wish I'd visited all five continents," or "I shouldn't have been so rude to Aunt Gertrude that one Christmas."

So anyway, what was this thread about?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I'll add another thing they tell me - Family and friends are far more important than stuff.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
With an outlook like that he almost certainly will die shortly after retirement...
Yep, or wish he had.

I developed chronic progressive health problems shortly after ER. I'm OK, just had to reformat my retirement plans, mostly replacing highly strenuous activities with more modest ones. I would say the quality of my days is still high, I am fit, have grandkids nearby and we are financially stable. I am writing a book, volunteer teaching and have a 4 h per week "telephone medicine" practice which I can turn on or off at will. I read copiously, we are making new friends every day and travel several times a year. Our ER is different from Plan A, but every bit as wonderful.

So, I'd caution about committing your ER lifestyle with too narrow a focus -- keep flexible and open-minded and make changes when that big curve ball comes your way.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #77

Quote:
"I wish I'd visited all five continents,"
Five, six, or seven? It's all so confusing.

Seven Continents - 7 Continents

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Five, six, or seven? It's all so confusing.

Seven Continents - 7 Continents
I knew I should have checked that before posting At least I didn't use a number like 3 or 4...........

5 was probably the accepted number when I was a kid, and I haven't updated my general knowledge in that area since then. Yikes.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #79

Enough about continents, lets talk cats. I'm skipping the cold ones, myself.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #80

LOL. You folks crack me up (in a good sort of way). I will do my share of thread stealing. I read a study (on internet, of course, so it is 100% true! ) that says a simple majority of us die alone. If someone dies alone, did that person really died? I am at work, drinking decaf, can't think clearly, and begin to ramble .... FIRE me, please, fire me!