Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
So anyway, what was this thread about?
I think the thread is about enjoying life while we still can. That, we all agree with. The issue is people enjoy different things, and in different manners.

Same as the OP, I like to travel. And I have never taken a tour. To me, planning the trip and researching modes of transportation, where to stay, what to see is part of the fun. I know more about the places that I visit that way. My wife does not care about that. And same as many others, she might not remember much about the places that she has visited. But who's to say that these casual tourists do not enjoy their visits as much as I do?

And then, there are people who simply want to go out for lunch everyday and do not care to leave their hometown. Or people who enjoy the company of their cats.

See, we all enjoy our life, but in different ways. It's the people who do not know what they want that need to wake up and smell the coffee, or the roses as that might be.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Enough about continents, lets talk cats. I'm skipping the cold ones, myself.
No, no....it's cold cuts...not cold cats. (Likewise, it's stones one skips, not cats.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... I read a study (on internet, of course, so it is 100% true! ) that says a simple majority of us die alone...
I do not remember where I read this, but it was said that in the end, we all die alone, meaning it's something that each of us has to face death by him/herself.

I read a biography of a computer scientist who died at a fairly young age from pancreatic cancer, which is virtually uncurable even if detected early. He said that a "nice" thing about death is that all humans would have to go through it; in that sense, his situation was not that unique, or that he was singled out.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post

So, I'd caution about committing your ER lifestyle with too narrow a focus -- keep flexible and open-minded and make changes when that big curve ball comes your way.
Excellent advice about retirement, and life itself.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How 'bout a cool cat?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #86

Quote:
I don't care whether a cat (or a dog) is hot or cold. I love 'em all

Talking of which, did anyone see the Budweiser Superbowl ad - the one with the beautiful Labrador puppy who befriended the horse? I watched it twice and teared up both times
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Talking of which, did anyone see the Budweiser Superbowl ad - the one with the beautiful Labrador puppy who befriended the horse? I watched it twice and teared up both times
I hope it runs during Animal Planet's Puppybowl, maybe during the kittens halftime show.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #88

Age is a mental disease. A socially contageous mental disease. If you aren't careful, people will project all kinds of reasons why you should be associated with your age. Letting age define you is like looking at the time to dictate your activities.

At 40, I said I'd been waiting all my life to be in my 40's. At 50, I said I'd been waiting all my 40's to be in my 50's. Each age is perfect, although personally life has gotten unbelievably better the older I get with each passing year. I love my age now, and can't wait to see what 70 and 75 will bring.

The great thing about aging is that it's one of the very few wonderful things in life that is not only free, but you don't have to do anything to make it happen.

A 76 year old in man in my gym, looks early 60's and sounds like your high school gym coach, was a former body builder who posed behind Mae West back in the day, told me in no uncertain terms, if you think you're old, you are.

The common perception about aging is that it's usually about loss: loss of vitality, of appearance, personal power, etc. So untrue. Aging is about loss, but of a different kind: loss of being enslaved to all of the false things you think you have to be, or do, or have in your youth (if you're lucky).

Finally, genes or no, absolutely nothing replaces physcial activity, a conscious attention to diet, and ongoing monitoring of health. A good book on this is The Real Age Makeover by Michael Roizen, MD. I cannot understand people who will worry to the nth degree over their PF's when they neglect the single greatest asset they have: their health.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I read a biography of a computer scientist who died at a fairly young age from pancreatic cancer, which is virtually uncurable even if detected early. He said that a "nice" thing about death is that all humans would have to go through it; in that sense, his situation was not that unique, or that he was singled out.
I believe that man was Randy Pausch. Here is his last lecture:

Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #90

Quote:

I saw that ad the other day and loved it!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I believe that man was Randy Pausch. Here is his last lecture:

Yes, it was. I read about this lecture in his autobiography book, but did not think of looking on youtube for it.

I found his autobiography interesting, not because of his academic or scientific achievements, nor because of his ambitions or goals in life. I am not also not interested in whatever professional legacy that he left. What I admired was the man's courageous acceptance of his impending death and of leaving behind his family with young children. That's something that we can all learn from.

I do not know about old people not accepting that we are old. Is it something to be ashamed of? Is denying our reduced physical capacity really helping? I'd rather acknowledge that I am not the young man I used to be, and to enjoy life with my abilities now.

Completely opposite from Randy Pausch is this man, who is a brother-in-law of my wife's cousin. This cousin from out of state called my wife recently to ask for advice. His BIL was dying of leukemia, and had literally a few days left. He was single and had his mom living with him. He never arranged his finances to provide for his mom when he would be gone. Earlier attempts to bring this up were brushed aside, as he could not accept the fact that his treatments might failed. As the surviving mom is the cousin's mother-in-law, he and his wife now have to step in to sort things out, and they are just clueless about this man's finance.

The above is a clear example of how not to die.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did a lot of traveling and outdoor activities throughout my life. I traveled the US for a number of summers in an old VW bus, backpacked the Rockies, Nepal, Andes, Smokies, etc., downhill skied around the US and Canada, camped New Zealand, ran sprint triathlons for a few years, etc. I've led a very active life.

The plan was to backpack around Europe once retired. I even have the packs that I bought a few years ago in preparation for just that purpose that still have the tags on them.

A lumbar back fusion and the very real prospects of needing a knee replacement for one and possibly later for the other have blown those plans. Never saw it coming. It's frustrating to know that all those things are now over. I'm not sure what could be a satisfying replacement. I'm hoping I can still ride my motorcycle and travel a little that way.

You just never know the hand you will be dealt. Do it now before the opportunity passes. I have a lot of great memories and no regrets but sooner or later things change. At 65 it was just a little too soon for me.

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I damaged my plantar fascia on a pointed rock buried in the sand last March. What a wakeup call that was. I got functional again by November but still need to wear my hiking boots during all hikes. No more toes in the sand!

Just completed my first major hike last week.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #94

More thread drift, hiking boots, we were at at a nature center near Tucson, me I am thinking how rough can the trail be, so in flip flops off I went. In the course of about 2 miles we had 7 rattlesnakes on the path. Boots, water, and GPS always.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #95

@Badger: +1

While I've been to ~60+ countries, and managed to pull off one marathon at age 41, before osteoarthritis in both knees told me to quit running, I obviously wasn't as active as you........as 72 looms this year I still do what I can while I can...but the proverbial writing is on the wall.

"Do not go gentle into that good night."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
A lumbar back fusion and the very real prospects of needing a knee replacement for one and possibly later for the other have blown those plans. Never saw it coming. It's frustrating to know that all those things are now over. I'm not sure what could be a satisfying replacement. I'm hoping I can still ride my motorcycle and travel a little that way.

You just never know the hand you will be dealt. Do it now before the opportunity passes. I have a lot of great memories and no regrets but sooner or later things change. At 65 it was just a little too soon for me.

Cheers!
Bummer. But you will find alternatives over time if you keep your antennae up.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Bummer. But you will find alternatives over time if you keep your antennae up.
I figure if I can't stay up on 2 wheels then I'll just have to get a CanAm Spyder. I'll find a way. Thank goodness I was frugal all those years (still am) and now have the means to make a purchase like that if I need to.

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #98
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've decided to go easy on my body till my late 50's. I need to do a small amount of maintenance tjough.

My biggest concern is my back, knees and shoulders wearing out. I played football and baseball in college and it was hard on my body. I kind of feel like I need to pace myself now so I don't wear out
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

NW-Bound

Some folks diagnosed with pancreatic cancer do survive. I am a 7 year survivor and very grateful to be here. The Whipple surgery and simultaneous chemo and radiation were tough to endure. The alternative was worse.

My wife questions why I walk so much having completed 6 half marathons in the last 3 years. My response is my walking validates my good health. I do realize that things can change in a heartbeat but am grateful for my good health today.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Some folks diagnosed with pancreatic cancer do survive. I am a 7 year survivor and very grateful to be here.
Wow! Good to hear (for you and others who may end up with this cancer). Keep walking.