Realization after a travel abroad ...

NW-Bound

Some folks diagnosed with pancreatic cancer do survive. I am a 7 year survivor and very grateful to be here. The Whipple surgery and simultaneous chemo and radiation were tough to endure. The alternative was worse.

My wife questions why I walk so much having completed 6 half marathons in the last 3 years. My response is my walking validates my good health. I do realize that things can change in a heartbeat but am grateful for my good health today.

So great to hear from a survivor who is doing so well ! Congratulations !

NW-Bound

Some folks diagnosed with pancreatic cancer do survive. I am a 7 year survivor and very grateful to be here. The Whipple surgery and simultaneous chemo and radiation were tough to endure. The alternative was worse.

My wife questions why I walk so much having completed 6 half marathons in the last 3 years. My response is my walking validates my good health. I do realize that things can change in a heartbeat but am grateful for my good health today.
Inspirational. I spent many a day (and night) practicing at a major cancer center and I have great admiration for what you have accomplished. You are the exception who proves the rule. Whether it's good luck, good care, good attitude or all the above, sometimes it all works out OK.

NW-Bound

Some folks diagnosed with pancreatic cancer do survive. I am a 7 year survivor and very grateful to be here. The Whipple surgery and simultaneous chemo and radiation were tough to endure. The alternative was worse...

I am happy to learn that some patients do beat the odds. And perhaps the info I have read was outdated.

While surfing the Web for RV'ing experiences, I stumbled across a blog of a full-time RV'er who is living in the boondocks of New Mexico. He survived leukemia and the full-body radiation treatment. When he got out of the hospital, he left his job and decided to retire early and lived with whatever means and pension that he had. He is now in good health, and leading an active lifestyle.

Many of us here are in the late 50s as I am, or older. When faced with our declining health, we will put things in a different perspective. But let's not forget that disaster can strike without any warning. That brings us back to the OP's premise of retiring when we still have health. We may not know when we suddenly do not have it anymore.

Yes, our health can change in a heartbeat as I found out 7 years ago. I believe I was saved for a reason. It was not my time and there are things I still need to do on this earth.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I believe that man was Randy Pausch. Here is his last lecture:

I had the fortune of attending Carnegie Mellon at that time, and wound up going to that particular "Last Lecture" series (the school offered it as a series for various professors to give a talk if they knew it was going to be their "last lecture" of their life - and sadly enough, Pausch knew that it was going to be close to his last). It was very memorable, and definitely struck a few chords.

I sent Randy Pausch an email after my treatment offering prayer and words of encouragement. I don't know if he ever read it.

Back
Top Bottom