Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Realization after a travel abroad ...
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Realization after a travel abroad ...

Just got back from a travel abroad (bus tour) while I am still in OMY (plan to retire in 2016) and in splurging mode before RE. Most folks on the tour were in their 60s & 70s. At 52, me and DW were one of the youngest couples. Every time bus topped for a nature trail/hike which requires a good amount of walking, half of the folks in the tour can't/won't join. Some has bum knee, others are too frail to walk for long, .... It reinforced my plan to retire sooner than later before I become a walking wounded and can't do much effective traveling. While we are young ... while we are young ....
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

Amen.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

Reminds me of observation of fellow passengers on cruise/land tour of Alaska in 1995 when we were mid forties. We had to have been about the youngest couple on board; were told it's because (at that time) it was an expensive cruise and only the older folks generally could afford the cost and time. Did enjoy it though.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

+1
I had a similar thought last year while hiking in the Cambodia It is not just the question of how many years we have left but also a question of how many good years do we have left.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD3C View Post
+1
I had a similar thought last year while hiking in the Cambodia It is not just the question of how many years we have left but also a question of how many good years do we have left.
Met an older guy (80-ish) in a restaurant last year.

He asked me how old I was (61).

Then he gave me this gift: He said: "You gotta realize that even if you live to be 90, you've only got 15 or 18 good summers left"

This left an indelible impression on me and I think about it often. (Glad I hung it up at 53!)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Indeed. We really never know how many summers we have left regardless of our age. Best to not waste a single one!
The sentiments expressed above are a huge motivator behind my workouts and diet. I am doing my best now to make sure I can truly enjoy and have a high quality of active life for as many summers as possible, (just in case they are granted to me.)
I think of it as an investment and assume that a few aches and soreness from working out in the present may help offset a couple of decades of much worse later. We will see......
ICNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Preaching to the choir, man.
And don't forget the mental inflexibility that comes (maybe not always) with age, where you can't tolerate the ups and downs of travel, and the things that don't go right. That's perhaps even worse for the oldest to manage, and gets harder every decade.

When I look at the relative cheeriness and ease of handling bumps and diversions of the 20-somethings I know compared to how much faster my 40+ self gets irritable, I really start to think that I need to keep my place on the hedonic treadmill as much as I possibly can, still able to handle the rough stuff...til I just can't.

Edit to add: the outhouse avatar is one such place for this practice. The view FROM it is of Lake Baikal, the world's largest freshwater lake, located in Siberia. The view INSIDE it is the stuff of nightmares.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
When I look at the relative cheeriness and ease of handling bumps and diversions of the 20-somethings I know compared to how much faster my 40+ self gets irritable, I really start to think that I need to keep my place on the hedonic treadmill as much as I possibly can, still able to handle the rough stuff...til I just can't....
I completely agree with the physical stuff; but, I have had exactly the opposite experience with the mental stuff: I was very driven, somewhat angry/aggressive, etc. during my 20's and 30's. Now, I am much more able to just roll with the punches and adjust to whatever comes along. I hope this trend continues as I age.

The kinds of mental changes you mention may frighten me even more than the physical challenges. So, I am trying to fight them just as I do with gym and healthy eating for the physical side.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Just got back from a travel abroad (bus tour) while I am still in OMY (plan to retire in 2016) and in splurging mode before RE. Most folks on the tour were in their 60s & 70s. At 52, me and DW were one of the youngest couples. Every time bus topped for a nature trail/hike which requires a good amount of walking, half of the folks in the tour can't/won't join. Some has bum knee, others are too frail to walk for long, .... It reinforced my plan to retire sooner than later before I become a walking wounded and can't do much effective traveling. While we are young ... while we are young ....
I have found this also depends on the tour. I have done several with Rick Steves who makes it clear that one needs to be able to do things like stand for hours, walk miles on cobble stone streets, and haul your bag up five flights of stairs in hotels with no elevators. While there are often a few folks who can't do these things (not necessarily much over 60, some are in their 50's), most can, although some are a bit slower than others.

That said, I agree. Enjoy life and health while you have them. I think we all have been surprised at some time by the premature death or incapacitation of a friend of love one.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Crap! Durn! Drat! At 70 after 20 years of ER I've had so much fun I was hoping for another 20 year rerun.

You mean I'm gonna get old?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
You mean I'm gonna get old?
Like my old grandpappy said, "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up."

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD3C View Post
+1
I have been thinking along these lines too. I have already told them I am finished at the end of this quarter. Could stay but the clock is ticking, time certainly is precious.

I have been to Cambodia a number of times and love it there. Curious about what you liked best about your trip and what areas you saw.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

CaliforniaMan, I started in Phnom Penh then Siem Reap, Battambang, Koh Kong, Snooky and Kampot/Kep. Hiking the rainforest was a great experience. It is a tragic nation with a long cultural history.
The open visa situation and number of NGO's provide a great deal of opportunity for w*rk like volunteer activities for those who stay long term.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
Administrator

When our good friends in England retired at age 60 they told their 2 daughters that they expected, at best, 15 good years for the hiking style travel they loved, so they shouldn't expect them to be available for regular grandparent duties. They turned 70 last year and still are our inspiration for staying fit and and having a very active retirement.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Edit to add: the outhouse avatar is one such place for this practice. The view FROM it is of Lake Baikal, the world's largest freshwater lake, located in Siberia. The view INSIDE it is the stuff of nightmares.
I do not like "nightmares". I never demand 5-star accomodations, not even 4-star or 3-star (or is it that I am too cheap), but "nightmares" would ruin my trip.

So, no primitive travel, nor camping for me either, unless it means camping in my generic but comfortable motorhome. Call me chicken, which is fine with me, but I know my weaknesses.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #16

Plan A was to take an Alaskan cruise, when we were old and feeble. Changed to Plan B when we found an active small cruise, with great hiking, kayaking, twice a day.

We liked our trip so much that we are leaving soon to repeat this adventure in Hawaii.

100_2716.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Good post. I could not agree more. Retire and travel young while you know you can fully enjoy it.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #18

Alas, there is the classic dilemma. While young and physically able to do the more active vacations, money, available time, family obligations etc ......and saving for retirement often work against doing those vacations.
I joke that my current life is like an Alfred Hitchcock TV show: I can now watch Monday Night Football without concern about getting up early the next morning to go to w*rk. But, in general I rarely can stay awake past 10 PM!

On a serious note DW and I do take this to heart. We both have bad backs, but toughed it out for our glorious sightseeing trip to Italy last year (lots of walking tours). And this summer we plan to go to Israel. But we are also planning built-in "rest breaks" such as the occasional half day of touring vs full day.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Our peer group has been retired for 10+ years. Basically breaks into three groups:
1) Our group who are determined to stay active and fit.
2) A group who say that sitting, relaxing, drinking and other pursuits is what they worked for, and
3) A group that have been stricken by bad luck in diseases of various kinds.

So for groups 1) and 3), keep active while you can and enjoy life. For group 2), enjoy it to the fullest because it could end at any time!

I enjoy mountain hiking and biking, as well as long walks on the beach. On one of those beach walks I injured by plantar fascia by stepping heavily on a rock hidden in the sand. That was a wake-up call. So I have worked hard to get back to group 1) from 3).

Plus I now wear proper walking shoes, even near the water.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Crap! Durn! Drat! At 70 after 20 years of ER I've had so much fun I was hoping for another 20 year rerun. You mean I'm gonna get old? heh heh heh -
Old is always a few years more than your present age so it always stays fluid. I was playing golf with my neighbor this past summer and he noticed a person across the fairway that is his usual playing partner, he told me. He said, "See that guy? He is 90 years old and plays everyday. He has one foot in the grave and still comes out here." BTW- My neighbor is 84 and he didn't mention himself about having a foot in the grave.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote