Realization after a travel abroad ...

Good post. I could not agree more. Retire and travel young while you know you can fully enjoy it.

We looked at it a different way. We'd say "travel young, even before ER, while you can fully enjoy it."

We spent fairly generously (given our modest means) on traveling and active vacations all along, even though that spending delayed FIRE. While it's true, as in OP's example, you're likely to be more active in your 50's than in your 70's, there are also many things we did in our 20's and 30's we likely couldn't have done in our 50's.

We agree, RE and be active early in retirement. But, even more importantly, spend on age appropriate vacations, travel and activities all along, even if this delays FIRE by 2 or 3 years.

I can't believe I'm only 50 and already have soreness in my joints (one knee mainly). An advanced scoliosis and sciatica don't help much either

Have you tried yoga? I have had similar issues and have less pain and am more mobile now than I was twenty years ago thanks to yoga.

Have you tried yoga? I have had similar issues and have less pain and am more mobile now than I was twenty years ago thanks to yoga.
No I haven't but I've been thinking that some kind of exercise regime to build up muscle strength (other than riding a bicycle daily, which I already do) would be a good idea. I am not good at disciplining myself to do things that are not already part of my lifestyle, which is why riding a bicycle (my only form of transport) to do errands is my main source of exercise.

Thank you for the idea though. It may be time for me get tougher on myself and get used to the idea of self-discipline :)

No I haven't but I've been thinking that some kind of exercise regime to build up muscle strength (other than riding a bicycle daily, which I already do) would be a good idea. I am not good at disciplining myself to do things that are not already part of my lifestyle, which is why riding a bicycle (my only form of transport) to do errands is my main source of exercise.

Thank you for the idea though. It may be time for me get tougher on myself and get used to the idea of self-discipline :)

I don't do it enough, but severe pain can be a great motivator. :) I found out the creaky knees - scoliosis - sciatica were all related by tight muscles zig-zagging front to back and side to side up and down my body, pulling everything out of whack.

Bike riding is great, but I think for me too much bike riding when I was younger and not enough stretching and full range of motion exercises were the start of some of my problems.

We looked at it a different way. We'd say "travel young, even before ER, while you can fully enjoy it."

+1. I am the OP and this is what I have been trying to do more of before RE in 2 years. No time to waste.

Absolutely. Thankfully, we had some great times touring around, hiking and backpacking, white-water rafting, etc., before we both retired. Now we've both had joint issues in fairly early retirement. Trying to work on those with exercise and weight loss, but not kidding ourselves, we probably won't have the getupandgo we used to have.

We have three friends who have cancelled their trips to PV due to deteriorating health this year. They are paying the piper. Exercise is the only way to keep the piper at bay!

In addition to the physical fitness aspect of adventure while younger/more capable, there is the issue of time decay - AKA progress. I have never regretted those early productive 'lost years'.
One of my favorite bike touring destinations was the Colorado Rocky Mountains. DW and I loved chasing/watching the Red Zinger Classic in the late 70's. At that time the roads had far less traffic and Colorado motorists a more supportive spirit towards cyclists. Brekenridge, Vail/Copper Mountain, Aspen were quaint little towns during the summer season.
In the early years of Mountain Biking, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, Durango were a pleasure. Its just not the same experience today. Alas, it is a Double edge sword. I imagine the younger people will think the same about the present time when they look back. I know the difference. :)

The following is a snippet that my 79 year-old mother wrote in recent letter:
... I am so thankful to have very good health and energy. Of course, I do work at that by maintaining excellent nutrition and exercise. I try to walk six miles (very brisk) at least 5-6 times a week. When the weather is bad, I go up to the penthouse to use the treadmill (which I don't like very much), or walk the stairs here in the building (there are 13 floors), or I can always go over to the gym ...
Note that when she says "walk the stairs," it means that she walks up all 12 flights from the ground floor to the penthouse on the 13th floor. In previous correspondence, she wrote that when she is not feeling well, she just walks up the first 5 flights of stairs and then takes the elevator to her apartment on the 11th floor. (Of course, being the empathetic son that I am, I chastise her for being so lazy at times ... "I don't care if you have the flu. Suck it up, lady. Next time I want all 12 flights out of you.")

While people experience a variety of physical (and mental) circumstances, many beyond their control, I believe much of the aging process depends on: 1) how you perceive yourself, and 2) how you care for your body. While this may sound trite, and it is not meant to minimize the real physical problems some people face, you are only as old as you act and feel.

In my opinion, if you think you are too old to perform a given activity, then you probably are too old. So do not give up. Change your self perception. Do not use age as an excuse. This is entirely different than acknowledging real physical limitations, either inherent or those caused by health issues. I will never run a 4 minute mile, but I am never going to tell myself that I am "too old" to run a 4 minute mile. And at age 54, I am fairly confident that I can still run a 5 minute mile. Yes, it first may require several months of losing weight and a lot of interval work on the track, but age will not be a factor.

You are never too old to exercise. I know many people in their 60's, 70's, and 80's who bicycle 50-100 miles. Interestingly enough, while bicycling today, I passed a retired woman from my workplace who was out running. She is ~60 years old, yet was on a run of at least 10 miles. In the hills. Nice form. Relatively fast. While this level of activity may not be for everyone, there is some form of exercise for all. But do not hesitate to think big.

I believe the OP's post is reflective. It is true. It is unlikely that any of us will live forever, at least on this earth. Take advantage of your opportunities when you can. This means ER for many of us. But I am disappointed to hear comments like, "there are only 15 good summers left." This sounds defeatist, at least to me. Yes, things may happen. That part of the body may stop working like it used to. And there may not be much that can be done to change the situation.

But I plan never to be too old. I do not believe my 79 year-old mother does either.

In addition to the physical fitness aspect of adventure while younger/more capable, there is the issue of time decay - AKA progress.

Seize the moment so to speak. Once things are gone, you can't come back to it even if you want to. For instance, by the time I got around to visit Yellowstone for a week, it was well after 1988 fire which destroyed a lot of beautiful trees.

We ran in to many 70 and 80 yo couples on extended sailing trips in the Bahamas. If you can put up with those rigors, you can handle a bus tour.

The keys are diet, physical fitness, and mental attitude. Of course, good genes are helpful too.

But, I agree with the OP sentiment.

ERing while still young (55) and healthy was a significant factor in my ER timing. First thing I did was joint a gym to get physically healthy and started taking classes to stay mentally sharp.

. But I am disappointed to hear comments like, "there are only 15 good summers left." This sounds defeatist, at least to me. Yes, things may happen. That part of the body may stop working like it used to. And there may not be much that can be done to change the situation.

But I plan never to be too old. I do not believe my 79 year-old mother does either.
I agree 100% with your entire post, and especially this part. I sometimes wonder where the hell people who say things like this spend their time, or what an extremely constrained life they must live. There are extremely active and competent people all around us at almost any age. A condo building I know has a 90 year old woman who has been widowed for30 years. She walks all over her lakeside community every day rain or shine, for many miles. My former wife's Auntie went climbing in the Peruvian Andes at age 83. If health fails, you die. There are many worse things.

Ha

But I am disappointed to hear comments like, "there are only 15 good summers left." This sounds defeatist, at least to me. Yes, things may happen.

I use thoughts like that as a motivator to get out there and do things now while I am able to, even if it means going alone. We can eat healthy diets, exercise regularly and have strong relationships with family and friends, but that is no guarantee we will have a long and healthy life.

Shawn, your Mom sounds like a really great person!

I started yoga classes last Fall and it feels like the fountain of youth. I wasn't having joint pain, but my muscles were tight from hiking and backpacking. I feel more fluid when I move now. There are people in class in their 70s who are more limber than I am, I find that very encouraging.

It does for some but my experience being around many 60+ folks (two different private golf clubs) is that the older retired ones do most of the complaining and bitching. You would think life would be pretty good when the toughest decision of your day is if you're going to play 9 or 18 holes of golf but some just have too much time on their hands and complaining becomes a bad habit.

Played golf a few years ago, country club in which I sold my membership. Absolute beautiful day on a beautiful golf course, surrounded by good guys. I was just struck by the amount of bitchin and complainin.

Am 53 and love traveling. Still quite mobile but flying long hauls with transit flights to get to a destination is getting harder for my body. So, do travel more to those far off places when you are younger.

I agree 100% with your entire post, and especially this part. I sometimes wonder where the hell people who say things like this spend their time, or what an extremely constrained life they must live.

A regular poster on the bogleheads wrote something about 3 years ago that really startled me. I think the person is about 65, but I could be wrong. He wrote something like (from memory, not a direct quote), "Retirement is depressing because you just sit around and wait to die."

Whoa. That is depressing. Maybe I shouldn't retire if that's all the future holds. Unfortunately, I often read and hear similar statements by other people - some retired, some not. And then there are those who tell me I will be too old to do many of the activities I enjoy.

I want to backpack the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada, and maybe the Continental Divide and Appalachian trails too. Another goal is to summit Mt. Everest. There are dozen of national parks I want to see, and not just to the visitor's center. Then there is a bicycle trip across the US. A sub-orbital or even orbital space flight would be a blast (figuratively, hopefully). There are more mundane things too, such as resuming trail running/racing. And I have never done Half Dome in Yosemite, a little surprising since it is nearby. The only time I tried was on a Thanksgiving Day several years ago. The falling snow did not turn us back. But the lightening near the top sure did. So Half Dome is on the list too.

But a lot of people tell me that I will be bored in retirement and not physically capable of doing anything beyond wiping the drool off my face. Such negativity, which I hear a lot, makes me wonder if I am properly and realistically assessing my upcoming retirement situation.

So I am always delighted to hear about "old people" who remain very active. Yes, some of it may be due to genes, some of it may be due to luck, but I think a lot of it is due to personal perspective and reasonable efforts to care for the body. While I sometimes joke to my friends about getting old, and it certainly seems like a new pain shows up every day, I do not see this as a limitation.

I often watch the show "Gold Rush" on the Discovery Channel. One of the featured gold miners is John Schnabel, who is 93 years old (94 next month). While he may be slowing down a bit - retired from gold mining a year or two ago - he is still physically and mentally active. He may die tomorrow, or he may live another 20 years. But he does not let age get in his way. I want to be - and plan to be - just like that.

Last edited:
A regular poster on the bogleheads wrote something about 3 years ago that really startled me. I think the person is about 65, but I could be wrong. He wrote something like (from memory, not a direct quote), "Retirement is depressing because you just sit around and wait to die."

With an outlook like that he almost certainly will die shortly after retirement.

We recently started going to a nearby gym, which I approached with some mild apprehension because one knee has been sore on an off for years (had surgery on it 20+ years ago). Within a month that pain was almost entirely gone. So maybe those guys who wrote Younger Next Year know a thing or two.

It was because of the knee that I was thinking of selling my motorcycle in the spring because I wasn't sure I'd be able to hold it up. I'm going to hang on to it a while longer.:dance:

Another inspiration was my FIL, who passed away last month after a year in a nursing home. Granted no one wants to go out that way. But for all of his life, despite somewhat declining health for his last two or three years, he walked every day. Just five years ago he walked 7 miles a day, almost every day, and when he couldn't do that he went to a mall.

While he didn't have much money and the last three years he had some serious health issues, he was still one of the happiest people I've known. Everyone who met him, even during his nursing home stay, along his life commented on that.

He had a sign over the fireplace mantle for decades: "Attitude matters. Pick a good one."

So he was doing something right.

It does for some but my experience being around many 60+ folks (two different private golf clubs) is that the older retired ones do most of the complaining and bitching. You would think life would be pretty good when the toughest decision of your day is if you're going to play 9 or 18 holes of golf but some just have too much time on their hands and complaining becomes a bad habit.

Seems like common denominator with this and mikefixac post is private country club set. I play a lot of golf with 60+ folks at public course, and they seem generally very happy, grateful, and fun to play with. Best round today with 62 year old.

More power to those old folks who keep themselves fit. But for many, bodies breakdown as we age for various reasons beyond our control (job injuries, arthritis, ...).

More power to those old folks who keep themselves fit. But for many, bodies breakdown as we age for various reasons beyond our control (job injuries, arthritis, ...).

Very true. One of the people I admired most at a young man fresh out of college was an older fellow near retirement. We developed a good friendship that lasted until his death. He did his best to keep in good shape both physically and mentally. But, he realized that he was slowing down in some areas. Rather than moan and groan about it, he found alternative ways to keep on going.

One day, he decided that making left turns onto busy streets was becoming difficult for him. So, he took out his maps and plotted routes for his most common trips that minimized the left turns. Years later I read that UPS discovered that minimizing left turns made for more efficient delivery routes. As usual, he was ahead of his time.

the company shave 28.5 million miles off its delivery routes, which has resulted in savings of roughly three million gallons of gas and has reduced CO2 emissions by 31,000 metric tons.

This thread reminds me of thoughts I had in my early 30's, when I landed a job doing the exact same work as a group of men in their early 40's. (Several were openly resentful of my sex and supposed youth, but that's another story). Some were already growing big bellies and bad backs, and loved to refer to themselves as "old farts," "old soldiers," "curmudgeons," and the like. I quickly surmised that they were simply fending off attempts to get them to do more challenging work, and I'm sure this attitude extended into their leisure life as well.

Amethyst

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom