Looking for International Living 7 6.86%
Just want out of the current location (need to get away) 15 14.71%
Have more resources, moving up in the world 2 1.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
W2R, what do you see ahead for the Big Easy in the next 10 years?
People here will continue their struggle to recover, and will continue to be hampered in their efforts to a greater or lesser extent by the usual problems (Louisiana politicians, corruption, poverty, and so on...). A steady stream will leave as they wind up their affairs. Others will show up so I expect the population to remain about as it is now.

Quote:
Will it recover?
Let me get my crystal ball out... (closing eyes)... OK, here is what I see: New Orleans will improve. It will never return to what it was before.

Quote:
How will it change?
Sorry, my crystal ball is not giving me a good read-out. Hmm. It will continue to have great food and tourist attractions (these have already returned). The population may never return to its previous level, though. New Orleans still has less than half the people that it had before. The "New New Orleans" population will include a much greater proportion of Hispanics who were not born in this country, but came here to work on the rebuilding and decided to stay.

The levees/floodwalls/drainage system will never be rebuilt to a level that provides the level of safety we had in 2005. Despite that, every three months the announcement will be made that everything is just as good as ever, and by alternate three month announcements we will be told that only temporary patches have been attempted (if that) and we have no defense from being flooded by even the mildest rainstorm. (That's not really a change, but a continuation of what has been happening so far.)

We will probably get a new hospital in ten years to replace one of those that were lost. Most of the doctors and other medical personnel who have moved away may not come back, though.

Some attempts will be made to repair the infrastructure but most of it will still be badly damaged. Eventually the National Guard (which is still patrolling our streets due to the wildly spiralling crime and murder rates) will go home.

Quote:
And how are people getting through the day?
Hard telling. We have been through a lot. There is a fundamental security and trust in the predictability of one's environment that is lost after a disaster of this magnitude. Focusing on my ER plans and dreams helps to keep me on an even keel in that regard, somehow, though I cannot really explain why. I guess I am empowering myself with the idea that I can control my future to some extent.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what a contrast between new orleans/katrina & homestead/andrew. according to recent miami herald article Homestead growth upstages Broward - 06/28/2007 - MiamiHerald.com homestead fl is now the "fastest growing community of its size in the country."

as for me, i figure i've already put in time served. i've been in my house for 13 years and in florida for more than 30. where do you vacation when you live in vacationland? to where do you retire when you live in retirementville.

i moved here with family in high school. got itchy to leave about 13 years ago but then the ol'man died & mom started developing alzheimer's so here i stayed. brother will be here for another 8 years until the youngest goes to college. have a few friends but they work all day. a cousin who's moving to mexico in 15 years for her standard retirement and another cousin who has no plans to stick around much longer. everyone else i love who used to be here is dead. i have no idea why i'm still here.

i clicked a few buttons. i need to get away from all the ghosts. i want something new in my life. i want better weather. not just a 1/2 year of the best weather in the country. i want great weather year round even if i have to move around to enjoy it. i also checked "looking for international living" which i suspect will lower my cost of living (though that does not motivate me so i didn't check it).

when i try to think of how to make my life as interesting as i can, i keep coming back to living a vagabond life. relocating, relocating, relocating.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
what a contrast between new orleans/katrina & homestead/andrew. according to recent miami herald article
Yes, given the good and poor but hard working salt-of-the-earth local residents struggling so hard here, it's superficially perplexing. Perhaps it would help to recall that Andrew/Homestead was due to a hurricane while in contrast, Katrina/New Orleans was the result of levee/floodwall/drainage system failure. Apples and oranges.

For great weather year around, how about Hawaii? I grew up there and the weather is very nice, if you ever get tired of traveling and want to settle in one location.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yes, given the good and poor but hard working salt-of-the-earth local residents struggling so hard here, it's superficially perplexing. Perhaps it would help to recall that Andrew/Homestead was due to a hurricane while in contrast, Katrina/New Orleans was the result of levee/floodwall/drainage system failure. Apples and oranges.

For great weather year around, how about Hawaii? I grew up there and the weather is very nice, if you ever get tired of traveling and want to settle in one location.

Sorry New Orleans is not suitable to live. It is a neat town.

OTOH, it is kinda nice to be release from the obligation (self imposed or not) to just pickup and go. If I were to relo... I would probably rent at the prospective location for a couple of years just to be sure it was a match before I permanently settled in. My desire would be to go to a tropical location. Since we are not in a (need to stretch the money) situation, that location might be someplace like Hawaii (Nords... I am jealous).
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
My desire would be to go to a tropical location. Since we are not in a (need to stretch the money) situation, that location might be someplace like Hawaii (Nords... I am jealous).
That sounds great, doesn't it? I can't figure out a way to afford it and live the way I would like to live, though, since I will be retiring on a shoestring. We have been looking at Springfield, Missouri due to low cost of living/housing there. NW Arkansas and northern Alabama are possible alternates. These are all nice places, too. I think nearly every location has some plusses that can make living there fun.

I still haven't totally ruled out New Orleans, and if recovery here is strong enough to be nearly miraculous in the next 2-3 years, I might stay. Who knows? My crystal ball might be malfunctioning. I would need to see much more rebuilding, improvements in crime, health care, traffic, and infrastructure, and big improvements in levees/floodwalls/drainage if I were to stay.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

After thirty years in New Orleans - snow in the winter is cool. Pain in the butt to drive in sometimes - but I can pick my time cause I'm ER'd.

When it gets uncool - I can move back from a 4 season climate to a 2 or even 1 season location.

Remember Bear Bryant's linebacker.

I guess greater Kansas City doesn't leap into the average person's mind when the subject of vacation/retirement paradise comes up.

heh heh heh heh - and that's just ducky with me. . They say home sales have slowed in Overland Park?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
After thirty years in New Orleans - snow in the winter is cool. Pain in the butt to drive in sometimes - but I can pick my time cause I'm ER'd.
My sister and niece moved to central Kansas from N.O. shortly after Katrina (she'd lived in N.O. for 30+ years). The niece really thought the snow was wonderful. She'd only ever seen snow once or twice in her life, but never for more than a day or two.....she's 16. My sister is not so impressed with it, since she grew up with snow in northern IL. I guess you could say it's all a matter of perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I guess greater Kansas City doesn't leap into the average person's mind when the subject of vacation/retirement paradise comes up.
We had never given KC a thought for vacation until a couple of years ago when a tour company we travel with frequently had a trip there. We had a good time and saw quite a bit. We went to a neat little museum, "Arabia Steamboat Museum". It was really interesting. We also took in some of the Christmas festivities while we were in KC. And of course, we ate our fair share of BBQ!!! YUM!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, given the good and poor but hard working salt-of-the-earth local residents struggling so hard here, it's superficially perplexing.
I'm curious-- have you read John Barry's "Rising tide : the great Mississippi flood of 1927 and how it changed America? He's the author of "The Great Influenza" about the 1918 pandemic and he's just as thorough on the Mississippi. Spouse has noted that despite tremendous advances in technology and disaster response, over 75 years later not much had changed in Katrina's aftermath. I'm not encouraged that lessons will be really learned or that enough money will be spent to avoid repeating history.

Quote:
Now I'm really curious. I'm familiar with the things that take people away from the islands, but many return in their 30s & 40s. What kept you away and what's keeping you away?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Now I'm really curious. I'm familiar with the things that take people away from the islands, but many return in their 30s & 40s. What kept you away and what's keeping you away?
You have probably discussed this before, but what would a 2 bedroom 2 bath townhouse/condo cost that doesn't have a water view? In other words, a low end place but not located in a high crime area.

Just wondered for grins.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You have probably discussed this before, but what would a 2 bedroom 2 bath townhouse/condo cost that doesn't have a water view? In other words, a low end place but not located in a high crime area.

Just wondered for grins.
More than I care to spend... you focused right in on why I haven't moved back to the islands. I do look on realtor.com now and then but haven't seen anything on Oahu that screams "Buy me!"

Right now I have a 3 BR, 2 bath, 1558 square foot house built in the 1970's but updated with granite countertops, crown molding, art alcoves, 5 sets of French doors, etc. It is in an excellent, very quiet neighborhood convenient to everything and I would imagine it might be worth on the order of around $200K or less. I don't think I could get much for that on Oahu. I know that in Missouri I could get the same kind of house and have some left over to pay for the move, re-decorating, and a whole lot more.

Pre-Katrina New Orleans used to be somewhat similar to Honolulu, so it was a great compromise for me. A city that is really just a big small town (check!), warm weather without snow (check!), diverse, cosmopolitan population with many interesting languages and cultures mingling and side by side (check!), a port (check!), surrounded by water in all directions (check!), lush foliage (check!)... I could go on, but it felt like home and it was affordable. Plus, the job was here so there was a great motivation to feel that way.

P.S. - - Nords, that book looks absolutely fascinating!! I read all the reviews of it on amazon.com just now, and I really want to get a copy of it. Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #31

Quote:

i'm not sure it is apples and oranges. maybe macintosh & granny. certainly hard to compare to that flooding but the destruction here was so bad, that when i went down to report on the destruction the day after i almost threw-up and had to take a break because i'd never seen anything like that before.

i suspect what is more apple & orange is the resources & desirablility of the areas destroyed, as andrew occurred in a growth state. but also this is almost 15 years already since andrew and as you say, it would take a crystal ball to see new orleans then.

i think you're right on hawaii though and do consider that for distant future. i think i'll be able to afford at least the big island. but before that i'll try snowbirding first as a vagabond and then maybe as a liveaboard.

when i'm to old for all that i'll plant my last garden on hawaii and then i'll plant me.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Except for outrageous property taxes,
I already live in a less expensive part
of the country [ Dallas, Texas ]

I have thought about moving to a
smaller town nearby... but not
out of the greater DFW area.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I will relocate from California to Texas in one year.

Why? To return to "roots" and to enjoy a much lower cost of living.

We decided to accept a two-year contract to move to California (from Tennessee) in the first place knowing that a move to Texas would be inevitable. I do like the climate here, but $1+ million for a house that would cost less than half that much in Texas makes little sense for a retiree who doesn't have to stay put.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #34

Moved from the midwest to Colorado to enjoy semi-retirement after divorce (I still have career goals but I don't work for $$$ very much). Lived in Colorado in the early 1980s and loved it but ended up moving to the midwest for 24 years. I felt like a fish out of water. Never felt like home. Both kids moved to CO to go to college so now I have family here too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Colorado and plan to stay here forever.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
We moved to a neighboring state to a "55 or better" community. The area where we had lived for 30 years had gone down hill - increased crime, changing demographics. We looked at these communities over a wide area and moved to the one we liked the most. This kept us within reasonable distance of family and friends. The move from a "blue" to a "red" state was a bit of a culture shock but after 2.5 years we have adjusted nicely.

We really like the lifestyle here. We have developed a great circle of friends within the community, something we never had before.

Grumpy
Hi Grumpy,
How do you like living in a "55 +over community". ?? My husband and I have looked at a few and, when we become 55, we would like to think serious about that lifestyle. they seem like a fun social environment. But, the cost -- we currently live in a 4 BR 3 Bath (4,000 square foot) 2 acre home $500,000 in a suburb of Phila. and the 55 + cost around $350,000 for 1/3 of living space and no ground. I hope it will be worth it.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre View Post
Hi Grumpy,
How do you like living in a "55 +over community". ?? My husband and I have looked at a few and, when we become 55, we would like to think serious about that lifestyle. they seem like a fun social environment. But, the cost -- we currently live in a 4 BR 3 Bath (4,000 square foot) 2 acre home $500,000 in a suburb of Phila. and the 55 + cost around $350,000 for 1/3 of living space and no ground. I hope it will be worth it.
Jane,

We are not sure about a 55 community. But we have a large house with some property.

No matter what, we are downsizing when we ER. I think part idea of those communities is to reduce your outside work effort. Is is a condo with an extra fee monthly?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Jane,

We are not sure about a 55 community. But we have a large house with some property.

No matter what, we are downsizing when we ER. I think part idea of those communities is to reduce your outside work effort. Is is a condo with an extra fee monthly?
I have thought of an over 55 community. To me the plusses are:
(1) not being bothered by the neighbors' children, and
(2) no outside yard maintenance.

I think I can address (1) by a judicious choice of neighborhood, lot size, and fences. (2) would require a yard that is nothing but grass, and hiring someone to mow it.

For me, this could work.

If I lived in a 55+ community, a disadvantage might be that I could be subject to hefty assessments being imposed on me that wouldn't be consistent with my "living on a shoestring" retirement plans. Also, it would be annoying to have one's neighbors deciding on what you can and can't do with your property (attractive but non-standard color of paint? cutting down unwanted trees? and things like that).

Guess I am just not suited to a planned community of any type, despite the obvious advantages.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I left Silicon Valley because it was a great place to work, but only an ok place to live. Hawaii is the exact opposite, a great place to live but only an ok place to work (relatively low wages).
Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved to a rural area to fullfill a childhood dream to live on a farm. Well, I have done that. After working for the Gov. for over thirty years and being moved around about every three years or so I still have the the urge to move.

I have enjoyed retirement, the feeling when I get up in the morning and know I am in charge of my day, not someone else is wonderful. I feared not having enough money to get by in retirement, so far that isn't a problem. Then again I live in an inexpensive area and live an inexenpsive life style. I heat with wood ($200yr) water $15 a month, electricity under $40, no state tax on my retirement checks.
The draw backs are; far from relatives, still an outsider after 2 years, shopping is rather basic, health care is good but basic, services there aren't any.
I have been thinking about moving again next year, it would make three years here which would fit the pattern of moving I have been in for decades. I just haven't figured what or where is the next place.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I moved to a rural area to fullfill a childhood dream to live on a farm. Well, I have done that. After working for the Gov. for over thirty years and being moved around about every three years or so I still have the the urge to move.

I have enjoyed retirement, the feeling when I get up in the morning and know I am in charge of my day, not someone else is wonderful. I feared not having enough money to get by in retirement, so far that isn't a problem. Then again I live in an inexpensive area and live an inexenpsive life style. I heat with wood ($200yr) water $15 a month, electricity under $40, no state tax on my retirement checks.
The draw backs are; far from relatives, still an outsider after 2 years, shopping is rather basic, health care is good but basic, services there aren't any.
I have been thinking about moving again next year, it would make three years here which would fit the pattern of moving I have been in for decades. I just haven't figured what or where is the next place.

Yes. Sometimes those things we have dreamed about do not turn out to be quite as we imagined for one reason or the other. Still, if you did not try it, you would not have the experience and would wonder about it.

What I have begun to understand is that these sort of things are not categorized as attempts that were mistakes, rather life experiences. You may be ready to turn the page to another chapter... another life experience.