Join Early Retirement Today

Recreational land???
Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Recreational land???

We recently sold some very beautiful pristine land because of unforeseen bad issues. We enjoy doing many equine and outdoor activities and like being very close to National Forest. So it hit me that for the money we had in the above mentioned property we could easily buy quite a few different say 1 acre plots of land around the US, close to NF and enjoy these places during the better months of the year. We have long brutal winters that would be nice to escape when/if the wife retires. My thinking is to barely develop the land but pull a Living Quarter horse trailer, large camper or maybe even build a very simple, very small rugged mini house on the lots. I'm talking a month or two at a time. We don't have much need for city amenities. Researching it, 1 acre lots like I would be interested in is dirt cheap.

Anyone doing something similar to this?
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my neck of the woods the trouble is that you have to have a source of water and somewhere for it to go when you are done using it. Not so easy here.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a lot of work, expense and too many unknowns for my taste. Water, sewer, electrical hookups can be very expensive and difficult to obtain in some places. Why not just spend less money on a nice RV and move it where and when you want? There are a ton of nice RV parks out there.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Might have to install septic and water but that's pretty easy. We have to have a place for the stock but wouldn't take more than an acre of land. They would get plenty of exercise. Seems very cheap compared to the tax, special assessment, tax more just for the heck of it, for the place we just sold.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you own land, but don't occupy it full time, you may well have issues with the locals using and abusing it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

"If you own land, but don't occupy it full time, you may well have issues with the locals using and abusing it."

Number 1 reason why we sold the last place!!! Issue after issue!!! But that land was very, very remote and much larger so the thinking (or not) is that if we downsized into a really small tract of land, possibly completely fencing it, the issues might not happen
Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Might have to install septic and water but that's pretty easy.
I suppose if your pockets are deep enough it can be 'pretty easy'. In my neck of the woods it costs upwards of $30K to get water and half that again to install a septic system.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

In a lot of the places we've been researching, it looks as though you can do the work yourself which we have several times now so the cost is substantially lower than having someone else do the work. But you are correct it can get expensive. I would stay away from places with crazy building permitting and procedures. We put a well in at the last place that cost us 30k and considerable research from a hydrologist and we brought him in from a very long way away and he was still half what the locals there were charging. We won't do that again. We're just trying to figure out a snowbird type arrangement that would work for us.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...possibly completely fencing it, the issues might not happen
In my experience, you are only making it more interesting for locals who stumble upon it to explore after cutting the fence wire, knocking holes (only large enough for a person if you are lucking, large enough for an ATV if you have the other kind of luck), etc.

I grew up in this kind of rural area and am not proud of many things I did to amuse myself in my youth; and, my exploits were mild compared to many of my contemporaries.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We always enjoyed camping in remote state parks. There is a lot of that kind of recreational land available to the public. You may not have it "all to yourself" but many of these places are really large and it's easy to get away from the campground and feel like you do. Personally, I can't imagine owning it myself.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Oddly enough is that the place where we sold is primarily 65+ yr olds and slightly higher end places, so I would never have guessed they would act that way. They would never do anything when I was there but never bothered them to after I was gone. It was coming down to litigation or application of speed knots to their brainless nogins!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oddly enough is that the place where we sold is primarily 65+ yr olds and slightly higher end places, so I would never have guessed they would act that way. They would never do anything when I was there but never bothered them to after I was gone. It was coming down to litigation or application of speed knots to their brainless nogins!
I read a rural forum (tractorbynet) and stories about absentee owner land problems are the norm. Hunters, fishermen (if there is a pond), snowmobilers, 4 wheelers, drug cookers, gun shooters, romantic couples, trash dumpers - the list is endless.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I read a rural forum (tractorbynet) and stories about absentee owner land problems are the norm. Hunters, fishermen (if there is a pond), snowmobilers, 4 wheelers, drug cookers, gun shooters, romantic couples, trash dumpers - the list is endless.
I'm currently in rural Arkansas for a few days. In an area about 30 miles from a good sized city. In the last few days I have seen many plots in rural wooded areas that for all practical purposes have been broken into, trashed, burned to the ground, etc. most of these I am told were "summer homes".
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You might look into campgrounds/communities that sell lots as trailer spaces, if you're really enamored with a particular location. I know of one where you can build small outbuildings, as long as the primary occupancy is in a RV.
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! I wouldn't have thought it was so common. Glad I posted this as I am rethinking smaller lots now. Lots as trailer spaces would work but not for having/using stock.

Maybe a new business venture?? Na, not looking good at all. Thank you for all the replies.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have some land not so remote but thought about putting well and septic to rent out to travel trailer two spots

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently it is in hay. I only need about an acre out of 50 to put someone on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm currently in rural Arkansas for a few days. In an area about 30 miles from a good sized city. In the last few days I have seen many plots in rural wooded areas that for all practical purposes have been broken into, trashed, burned to the ground, etc. most of these I am told were "summer homes".
There are quite a few rural locations in AR that use to have mobile or manufactured homes. I have given some thought to buying a number of these as personal RV lots. Maybe even renting them out as side income. I'm not sure its a good business venture and the taxes on the property would likely be higher than renting individual RV spots as needed. Haven't really had time to fully investigate.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
There are quite a few rural locations in AR that use to have mobile or manufactured homes. I have given some thought to buying a number of these as personal RV lots. Maybe even renting them out as side income.
Like aja8888 I spend some time in rural Arkansas - usually a couple of weeks every year. I can't see a positive outcome in this venture. Tax issues aside, your tenants would almost certainly disappoint you when it comes to how they'd treat your meth labs property.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Like aja8888 I spend some time in rural Arkansas - usually a couple of weeks every year. I can't see a positive outcome in this venture. Tax issues aside, your tenants would almost certainly disappoint you when it comes to how they'd treat your meth labs property.
No joke, our rural home in MO. The neighboring farmer had a rented out an old dive 1/2 mile away. DW calls me says two undercover Sheriff's deputies and a State trooper want permission to use our land as a stake out. We cooperated as there was no way we wanted the methheads around. About a month later I come home there's 20-30 official vehicle's out there. Turns out they weren't manufacturers, they smuggled Ice(Meth mixed with PCP) across the Mexican border to sell.

Odd part they couldn't get a warrent based on the evidence they had. Cars coming and going, and all night parties. There was a small child living there part time, they got the warrent based on back child support, then saw drugs.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote