Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

This is an interesting question and one I find myself asking as I approach retirement.

About 2 1/2 years ago when things were slow at work I volunteered to temporarily cut back to 4 day weeks - 9 hours/day which is considered part time in my business. Well, one thing lead to another and it became permanent. I have to say I love having Fridays off and really look forward to having all days off. Things were setup for me to work another 2 years like this and retire. Then, my coworker up and quit unexpectedly which has lead to an exponential increase in stress for me. So much so that I'm now looking to retire next year, if I make it that long.

If I could go back and work 2 or 3 days a week the way things were I would do it but as they are now there is no way I would work part -time at my current employer. I might be interested in a part-time job somewhere else if were something I enjoyed and was low stress but since I'm not retired yet I really can't say with certainty.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2c based on my experience: If you downshift straight away into a part-time role you may really enjoy it compared to fulltime.

On the other hand, if you quit completely, after a few months you may find you have developed a terrible allergy to any kind of paid work whatsoever!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think if you are pretty securely FI it only makes sense to find something you love and/or makes the world a better place. Preferably both.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I am working towards ER which will include part time work of 10-15 hours a week. I feel like it is a great primer for full time ER. Also I don't want to touch the nest egg as my retirement horizon is 40 years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

If I worked PT, I would not touch the nest egg except for rents from real estate. I would cease contributing but not draw down.

In that way, it's OMY.

I think the regret would be in not asking and not knowing the answer from my employer.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
I think the regret would be in not asking and not knowing the answer from my employer.
Then do it. Assuming you are going to retire anyway, what do you have to lose?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
My 2c based on my experience: If you downshift straight away into a part-time role you may really enjoy it compared to fulltime.

On the other hand, if you quit completely, after a few months you may find you have developed a terrible allergy to any kind of paid work whatsoever!
+1
Absolutely true for me!
I was a committed worker bee forever, but it was only when I got free of the hive that I really began to see the flowers!
What I Lost
Old 09-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

What I Lost

Quote:
Not exactly the same situation as OP; but, I recently lost a bit of a severance package (four months) by asking about follow-on contract work before I was actually out the door. My mini-mega-corp decided to resend the severance package offer and keep me employed.

Story summary:
  • My position was eliminated by a new executive, longish backstory on this.
  • My offer to continue contracting/consulting very part time, one day a week, made it to the COO's desk.
  • COO and some of his inner circle decided that eliminating me was not such a good idea at this point in time.
  • So, now instead of an exit package and class of 2015, I am looking at class of 2016...or maybe 2017 since I cannot seem to pull the plug myself at the moment.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

I tried to get my employer to let me go part time, but megacorp couldn't figure out how to do that. While I still work occasionally for them and others as a contractor, the vast majority of my time is free. The big surprise in retirement was the ability take advantage of spur of the moment opportunities that come up. As a result, I have met some incredible people and done things one can only read about. I would never be able to have done many of these things if I was working even part time.

The other thing I found was that my tolerance for corporate scat is now zero. I could never go back to being an "employee". As a contractor, I work a specific project and then I am gone, I generally given them an end date when I start. And since I now get paid by the hour, any corporate nonsense that delays the project costs them money.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired 1 Feb 2007. Before I got out of the building a contractor offered me a part time position of 16 hours per week at a large enough salary that I just could not turn it down. I did 3 years in that position before fully retiring. I never had any regrets.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I was offered some software development contract work with my old organization after I retired. But after a few months away from project schedules and deadlines for the first time in decades, I really just couldn't get motivated to get back into it. I was also suspicious that I'd end up being expected to do full time work for part time pay and no benefits, which wasn't exactly appealing.

I wouldn't mind having an alternate income stream to reduce my withdrawal rate on the retirement portfolio a little (mitigating sequence of return risk a bit as I bridge to SS) - but so far not enough to actually work to make that happen.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #52

Quote:
This question is for those that have already retired. Did anyone regret not going part time after your could RE?

I will be in a position to retire next March. I'm thinking of asking my employer if I can go to half time.

I already work from home. The type of work I do would appropriate for this. I am a software developer.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
After working FT for 16 years, I had become so badly burnt out that switching to PT was the only way I could keep working. I had already lowered my expenses a lot a few years before when I paid off the mortgage, so working for just over half my FT pay was not a problem.

But in the next 7 years, I got burnt out again and the only solution was to fully retire (at 45, 7 years ago). Working as little as 12 hours a week in the last 17 months of those 7 PT years was 12 hours too many. I was reaching my ER goal and had become FI by then, so I simply stopped working and never regretted that or the way I arrived at my cherished ER.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #53

I moved to a very part time consultancy when I FIRE'd almost two years ago. It's worked well for me - very flexible hours, work commitments and I'm mostly working with people I like doing stuff I find interesting. There's no stress and I enjoy being somewhat engaged.

The original motivation of being a little but anxious about going cold turkey (loss of relevance, loss of income stream etc) has long gone away, but I'm enjoying it and it doesn't interfere with anything else I want to do. If that changes, it goes of course.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely thread. I just finished my 2nd OMY and am transitioning into retirement gradually at age 52.

I had plans to try and sell my retail computer repair business this year but when my long term employee left in the Spring that plan fell apart once I realized I didn't have it in me anymore to ramp up and train folks, etc. to get the business in a position to sell.

I've been flying solo for a few months. It has been mostly unmanageable and very stressful as the shop is busy all the time. A few weeks ago I reduced my office space by 2/3 and am now turning away all of the undesirable work that comes my way. I am focussing on only doing the work I want to do and I am getting close to reducing my hours significantly. Just a few weeks in under the new regime but it is going very well so far!

Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, DW and I left mini-Megacorps, then w*rked part-time to remodel our second house and sell it. I liked "being my own boss" in that I could set the hours and I found much of the actual work interesting and challenging. Still I was very stressed due the the heavy outpouring of ca$h, dealing with the local building inspectors, etc. It was the same crap I was trying to escape by ER'ing! The day we sold the house was one of the best days of my life, the real start of our ER.

So, part time is better than full time, as long as the hours, not just the pay is part time. Yet, full retirement is better than anything else, at least for us.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I quit megacorp at age 42. We moved to a new town and DH kept working pretty much full time. I was bored, and I felt like our retirement plan had some risk to it so I got a part time job to make a few bucks giving out samples at the local Walmart (not a Walmart employee). I haven't even had my first shift yet and I'm already kind of regretting having done it! We'll see how it goes. I've decided I'll give it a couple of months to be fair, and if I hate it then I'll quit after those couple of months. We don't have travel plans until next year, so maybe I'll at least work till the end of this year.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

This might be your only opportunity to get a part time position, so why not try and see what happens. If you don't like it, quit.

My job was such that part time work would have just been part time pay for full time work, but if yours is different, then maybe it will work for you. Depends also on how your co-workers respond to your new status.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This question is for those that have already retired. Did anyone regret not going part time after your could RE?

I will be in a position to retire next March. I'm thinking of asking my employer if I can go to half time.

I already work from home. The type of work I do would appropriate for this. I am a software developer.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
My VP offered to do a part time gig, I turned it down. I was IT, systems work(bad choice), when the stuff hit the fan it was all hands on deck. I couldn't see myself being able to let go of a critical issue so it didn't make sense to me.

No regrets on calling in FIREd!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #59

My DH quit two years ago and has picked up odd jobs on and off to keep occupied and raise money for his various adventures. It keeps him busy while I'm still working, but doesn't interfere with travel and leisure plans too much.

He does IT work, network installs, and random handyman type stuff, plus a few bigger projects for a friend with a brewery in town.

He's not really the type to just hang out, he has to have goals. But he's thrilled not to ever have to go back to the BS of his former workplace. He's a lot happier with his current setup.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

IMHO when you jump in the water, you don't partly swim. It's more fun to really splash around.

Retirement really can be much better than what you did before. Why do it halfway?[/QUOTE]

Well said! This is exactly what I was thinking!