Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Again, thanks for all the great replies. It is obviously a very individual decision.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
Again, thanks for all the great replies. It is obviously a very individual decision.
It also depends on what you do and how well it suits your personality type. I know someone who is a high end jewelry designer and maker. She really has no reason to retire - she loves what she does and she's the boss of her own company. Some people enjoy their jobs.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
People often advise me to work part time to transition better into retirement.
I finally decided that I am ignoring this advice.
I thought they were right for a while but not any more.
In fact, I might end up retiring earlier than I thought I would - I'll see ...
Tentative date is summer 2016, but if I can, I'll leave earlier.
I agree with those who say retirement is great, don't do it halfway. That's a healthy view.
Sure, I'll miss a lot of things about work, career, etc. but it's just starting to make more sense to do it this way.
Somewhat agree. In hindsight, my consulting arrangement for a year and a half after retiring was a mistake but something I did not foresee. It was difficult to stay motivated and interested in the work and once travel requirements increased, decided this gig was not for me.

However, my seasonal part-time retirement job has worked out very well. The job is not related at all to my career job (moved from engineering to accounting) and fill in the day of winter when I've little to keep me occupied and remains interesting. A job that is enjoyable regardless of the pay...often think of doing the same work as a volunteer with a community non-profit someday.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It also depends on what you do and how well it suits your personality type. I know someone who is a high end jewelry designer and maker. She really has no reason to retire - she loves what she does and she's the boss of her own company. Some people enjoy their jobs.
That must be true. For so many of us there's a big difference between what you are good at career-wise and what you (still?) love to do. So the career gurus say "Do what you love and the money will follow". However, then we hear of people who start a restaurant because they love to cook or go into the pet business because they love dogs or whatever, and their passion is crushed from the pressures of monetizing it. I could say that's happened to me with my original passionate impulse 27 years ago to have a nonprofit career. So the other career gurus say "It's work! It's not supposed to be fun, so 'Lean In' and enjoy the benefits of plain old hard work". Personally, I hope to grind out full time for a few more years a good profession that is becoming stale, then quit full-stop when I am wealthy enough that I don't have to do it anymore. Maybe then I'll have enough daily bandwidth for a jewelry-making-type avocation to emerge while I'm enjoying a beach somewhere exotic with my wife. Or not!
Old 10-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
There is always a need or desire to be part of the group. Consensus or group decisions seem to be a great fit for most. But you do come across examples where more knowledge of the individual and their circumstances makes an alternate decision a better fit.

By talking things out, it becomes obvious we are similar, but different. Go with a joint decision your family can be happy with.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stress is often a big factor in how much people like or hate their jobs. Nat Geo has a good video called Stress, Portrait of a Killer. I watched it on Netflix but it appears to be available in its entirety on youtube and documentary sites these days:

The gist of it is that lower level members in an organization with low control in a rigid hierarchy, especially those who get kicked around by aggressive alpha males, whether it is baboons in a baboon troop or human employees in the British Civil Service, may suffer more often from health impairing, measurably high levels of stress.

It might be a good resource to view for those thinking about part-time work and what kind of work, or for those considering whether one more year of a high stress job is worth the health risks. But it also shows that not all jobs are horrible, many workers with high control levels and low stress really do like their work.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote