Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

There is always the OMY syndrome, which I am in now (303 days left...). I do think it puts a final cap on me ever having to worry about any finances. And it will provide a much better lifestyle than I live now. I am sure others see their OMY that way too. I am already wishing I retired earlier, and I am not yet retired…

Of the retirees here that could have retired sooner than they did (~55 or younger), do you wish you pulled the plug earlier??

What did you learn after you retired that would have impacted your decision to leave the workforce earlier, if you knew it?

How much earlier would you have left?
Just retired in May, and here's the only thing I can offer from what I've learned. I did OMY, and have no regrets at all. I viewed that OMY as buying peace of mind, which for me, is priceless.

I had planned to perhaps do a bit of consulting or contracting work after retiring and one of the biggest surprises has been that those plans have gone up in smoke. All plans evaporated, and to be honest much of that is because I have no interest. My small advice is when you pull the plug, make sure it's what you want to do, because you never know what post retirement may bring.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #22

As I've posted here before, retired at age 50 with a 1 and 3 year old boys (that was 15 years ago). I had been eligible under an early retirement program for a few years but did not think we could manage on the offered pension. But the powers announced one day in January that the early retirement program ended in two weeks. In my case, I would have not been eligible for another 5 years. Took them up on the offer, but was still concerned if we could make it work, practiced LBYM and had part-time jobs for many years. It was the opportunity to be a regular part of my sons' lives that convinced me to take the offer......and I've absolutely no regrets.
Actually one regret, should have loosened the financial reigns some years ago and did more ambitious traveling with them, it's quickly becoming too late and investments values way up.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #23

Had pretty much always targeted retiring at 58 (this year) when full pension kicked in. In 2010, BS bucket was full, lots of one-time major events paid for (house move, new car, 2 kids college paid for) and all the numbers looked good, so I said "bye-bye". No regrets - it was the right time for me. Only regret is that we didn't travel more aggressively the first two years - DH's physical condition doesn't allow for much of that anymore.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No regrets. I enjoyed my job and the people who i worked with. I worked 80% time and 50% time the last 5 or so years that I worked.

I probably could have retired earlier (or perhaps much earlier) but I ended up retiring 1 year later than I planned. My retirement coincided with getting from two homes down to one home and the reduction in expenses and increase in the nestegg that resulted. However, as luck would have it, we are now in a position where we may buy a winter home so we'll have two homes again.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement is still pretty new to me (April) but I feel like it was the right time (+- a few months).

I had a great job for a great company (one of my friends asked why I would ever retire from suck a great gig as I was able to work from home, was well paid, and worked on interesting things).

I just got to the point where I felt like I had done enough and it was time to move on. Once I got to that point, the bit flipped and I was completely ready to go. So I sort of went from loving work to being done with work very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread. I appreciate everybody sharing their situation and opinions. I just turned 41, and will retire as soon as I can get the house paid off. The goal is to have it done sometime prior to my 50th. Anything sooner is icing on the cake.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Great thread. I appreciate everybody sharing their situation and opinions. I just turned 41, and will retire as soon as I can get the house paid off. The goal is to have it done sometime prior to my 50th. Anything sooner is icing on the cake.

Make sure you have enough to last 35-45 more years though!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

If anything, at times I regret retiring too early. Don't get me wrong I can be as lazy and nonproductive as the next guy and actually enjoy it, but I miss the excitement of the travel I used to do in the world of the employed. For me it comes down to you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's such a cruel world…lol!

I've had plenty of opportunities to go back to my old career, but the thought of varied sleeping schedules and 12 different pillows a month have kept me mostly happy in the ER world.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

When I was still a teenager, I set myself a goal of retiring at 55, and I was fortunate enough to do exactly that.

So in one way, it wasn't early but right on time. In another way, 55 would be considered early by many, so it's all in the eye of the beholder, as with most things.

Can't say I've changed my outlook since then. ER was pretty wonderful from day one and still is.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When I was still a teenager, I set myself a goal of retiring at 55, and I was fortunate enough to do exactly that.
Hey brumeister,

What inspired you at such a young age?? I was almost 30 when I started to even consider an ER goal of early to mid 50's. I had to spend enough time in the w*rk world to understand some of the fundamental realties

FB
Class of 2015, at age 46
Old 09-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
What inspired you at such a young age?
Well, when I was just 14 years old, I watched my grandfather retire at 65. It was the traditional routine (Social security, a small pension, and enough savings to make him FI), but he was already pretty worn out by a hard life. Alas, it was also the start of the inflationary era that wiped out the value of his savings and non-COLA pension.

At the same time, I saw my father starting to look forward to his own retirement, which was still decades in the future. Another case of a hard life. Both of those guys had no education and had put all their faith in their unions to take care of them.

It was pretty clear to me that I didn't want to go down the same road. I noticed that the "standard" retirement age (for SS eligibility) was 65, so I just set myself a goal of getting there ten years earlier. I saw that this would require saving more than the average person, spending less, and watching out for my own welfare instead of relying on others.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #32

Retired a few days shy of 54 and it still seems about right just over a year later. Could have gone a couple of years earlier but that probably would have been too soon. Could also have stayed on indefinitely, feel that I would have resented work more and more.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #33

I retired at 56 with no regrets. The job had gotten boring and two bad apples were making it miserable for the rest of us. Three other folks on my team decided to leave right after I did. I also have chronic pain issues that improved significantly when I didn't have to sit in front of a computer for 9-11 hours a day. Now I'm much more active and have lost 35 pounds too. Can't wait for DW to join me in December! Life is good!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Make sure you have enough to last 35-45 more years though!

That's the beauty of this site! I've been here for a little while now and read it almost on a daily basis. It's the wisdom here that got me focused on my brokerage and savings accounts. That'll be the bridge that gets me to my sixties when my 401k, Roth and a small pension await.

I know I don't post much, but I do read everything, and wanted to say thanks to everybody here for their willingness to share and help!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I retired at 56 with no regrets. The job had gotten boring and two bad apples were making it miserable for the rest of us. Three other folks on my team decided to leave right after I did. I also have chronic pain issues that improved significantly when I didn't have to sit in front of a computer for 9-11 hours a day. Now I'm much more active and have lost 35 pounds too. Can't wait for DW to join me in December! Life is good!
Congrats Dash man on the weight loss. How did you do it?

I lost a similar amount over a 2 year period. DW switched to a part-time schedule and had the time/energy to crack down on our lifetime of poor eating habits.

I accepted the fact that I relied on food rewards to keep myself at work. Think long and huge pizza & desert buffet lunches and BBQ several times a week. DW switched us both to a "whole food" diet minimizing simple carbs (avoid cereal, paste, sauces) and dairy while increasing intake of veggies & lean protein. We lost lots of weight despite little increase in exercise.

Agreed that a couple of bad apples can spoil the whole lot. I left when I faced the fact that the place was headed by a bad apple, so there was no hope for any salvation.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Well, when I was just 14 years old, I watched my grandfather retire at 65. It was the traditional routine (Social security, a small pension, and enough savings to make him FI), but he was already pretty worn out by a hard life. Alas, it was also the start of the inflationary era that wiped out the value of his savings and non-COLA pension.

At the same time, I saw my father starting to look forward to his own retirement, which was still decades in the future. Another case of a hard life. Both of those guys had no education and had put all their faith in their unions to take care of them.

It was pretty clear to me that I didn't want to go down the same road. I noticed that the "standard" retirement age (for SS eligibility) was 65, so I just set myself a goal of getting there ten years earlier. I saw that this would require saving more than the average person, spending less, and watching out for my own welfare instead of relying on others.
Great inspiring story braumeister! It's clear that such a positive, take-charge attitude has helped drive your FIRE
Old 09-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

If you regret to have retired too early, you can always go back to work. If you regret to have retired too late, what is the solution?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jumped at 49. Knowing what I know now, I could have been free at 45! But I was really feathering the nest those last 4 years because I was so burnt out. So, in a way it was good $ wise but wise not so good.

Love my freedom!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My father ERd at 62, a year after I finished college. Speaking at his retirement dinner, he confessed that he had hated his job for years. He went on to enjoy 7 healthy years of ER before developing his first cancer. He bounced back from that and had five more years of moderate health before his second cancer. His last seven years were dogged by ill health.

The retirement speech made quite an impression on me, because I had had no idea how much of a burden his job had been. Watching my Dad's health deteriorate in stages helped me realize how finite we are. I set a long term goal never to become a slave to w*rk. I wasn't always successful, but I kept a long term goal of ER by age 55 in the back of my mind. I never shared that thought with w*rk colleagues, because that was not the culture. But my Dad did understand. He passed away when I was 42. I did achieve my ER goal on schedule, and not a moment too soon. I do know that I was not ready earlier.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Congrats Dash man on the weight loss. How did you do it?

I lost a similar amount over a 2 year period. DW switched to a part-time schedule and had the time/energy to crack down on our lifetime of poor eating habits.

I accepted the fact that I relied on food rewards to keep myself at work. Think long and huge pizza & desert buffet lunches and BBQ several times a week. DW switched us both to a "whole food" diet minimizing simple carbs (avoid cereal, paste, sauces) and dairy while increasing intake of veggies & lean protein. We lost lots of weight despite little increase in exercise.

Agreed that a couple of bad apples can spoil the whole lot. I left when I faced the fact that the place was headed by a bad apple, so there was no hope for any salvation.

Thanks and congrats back at you for your weight loss. I didn't really follow any particular plan to lose weight. I just found it easier to get through the day without snacking and was moving around much more. I worked from home for the last seven years, so the kitchen was right there. Meetings took up most of the day so any break I found myself grabbing a snack. Now I just eat regular meals with an occasional splurge of ice cream on a warm summer day. If I'm out and about I often skip lunch or I'll grab something lite. I'm comfortable where I am at 187, so I just try to maintain it now.