Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

No regrets or disappointments here, and I've been retired for almost 4 1/2 years. My health and fitness level are better than before I retired, which I feel very good about. And I have plenty of interesting things to keep me busy.......too many at times, actually. Retirement is definitely every bit as good as I thought it would be

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

ER'd three years ago at 48/56, and absolutely no regrets, other than that I dragged my heels those last two years, afraid to cut the cord on our very healthy paychecks even though my DH kept assuring me we had indeed reached FI.

The way we've approached our ER is to constantly challenge ourselves mentally and physically. Many is the day we come home good and tired from our pursuits, happy to have the rest of the evening in to relax. The difference between now and before, is that before we'd come home 'brain dead' and tired.

We are not the kind of people that will ever be able to simply relax, which is likely why we both achieved such financial success in our respective careers. So for us, ER is about pursuing new passions that continue to feed us. So far it's working out pretty fantastically, and I can't imagine any circumstance that would bring us back to the world of employment.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
That said, in my opinion, one needs to be realistic about early retirement once there. If every day is good... are they still? Without being whacked by a big stick everyday, "good" can become the new normal, which means it won't feel as good as it did in the beginning. You just get used to it, and may not appreciate it as much. I am NOT talking about going back to work, but rather the human condition of complacency. We can always find something to complain about, after complaining about work is over.
I saved this snippet from a post I read recently. Can't remember who wrote it or what forum it came from, but I thought it was inciteful.

"The trick with this is recognising that most of the pleasure comes from the delta from your normal experience rather than the specific experience itself, so overdoing good experiences actually lessens their relative goodness over time. If that makes sense?"
Old 05-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRetired View Post
I saved this snippet from a post I read recently. Can't remember who wrote it or what forum it came from, but I thought it was inciteful.

"The trick with this is recognising that most of the pleasure comes from the delta from your normal experience rather than the specific experience itself, so overdoing good experiences actually lessens their relative goodness over time. If that makes sense?"
I agree. Context plays a big part.

IMHO, people who retire and say "everyday is like being on vacation" are still viewing retirement through the work lens.

Personally, I felt like I was really retired when it no longer had the work context but was "this is how I live".
Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I agree. Context plays a big part.

IMHO, people who retire and say "everyday is like being on vacation" are still viewing retirement through the work lens.

Personally, I felt like I was really retired when it no longer had the work context but was "this is how I live".
Similarly, when I ERed after working the last 7 years part-time, I saw ER as getting rid of the nuisance of working because even only 2 days a week it had been interfering with my personal life, often causing frequent scheduling conflicts with my midday and weekday evening activities.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Similarly, when I ERed after working the last 7 years part-time, I saw ER as getting rid of the nuisance of working because even only 2 days a week it had been interfering with my personal life, often causing frequent scheduling conflicts with my midday and weekday evening activities.
By "midday scheduling conflicts with activities", I think you mean "napping", right?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
By "midday scheduling conflicts with activities", I think you mean "napping", right?
LOL yes, that was one of them, and my favorite, of course! But I was also referring to my midday volunteer work (often followed by a 3 PM siesta).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #48

Five months in, my only regret is that I was able to watch more television when I was working. Now I have to force myself to watch the programs I've recorded (ones my wife doesn't like), during the day.

Actually, I think the TV was a de-stressor while I was working. It was a way to zone out. Now I don't need it.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #49

Seven years in and no regrets or disappointments.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #50

None, Nix, Nil, Nada!

Been retired about 8 years. Each year is better than the last. I retired to nothing! Went to the lake, watch TV, walk in the morning. I tell people I have found something I am really really really good at! Doing nothing! and I am going to keep doing it. I don't need 'meaning' to my life, or to make a difference. Just like our dog, everyday is Christmas.

I should also point out, finance is going better than forecast. That helps.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #51

I do not have any regrets about retiring. However, I do have other regrets. I posted this on another thread earlier...and it's how I feel:

For me personally...my regret was not following what I was really good at...instead taking another career that to me was stable and predictable...but mediocre in my eyes. It was a good job...but not necessarily for me.

Have any of you felt that you were put on this earth to do something special with your skills and life, or contribute something really good to the world, but got side tracked along the way? That's the way I have felt all these years. I am now working on fixing that and getting on that road I should have been on decades ago. Retirement has now allowed me to focus on my core values without having to have the need for money cloud the way. I feel like I have now been given a second chance in my life...and this time, I'm not going to screw it up. It's about personal achievement.

I know this is getting side tracked...but as a good parent you need to communicate to your kids how important it is to be in the field, (or job), where they are happiest and not something that's just secure. __________________
Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #52

Retired for nearly 4 years. No regrets at all. This is where I should be at this stage of my life. My ex colleagues and relatives still ask me what do I do all day and I just don't bother to reply much. I am coming to 54 and I just want to do what I enjoy and to report to no bosses or to handle staff relationships. I want to spend time with loved ones and friends and myself. Right now I am enjoying my home with a cup of tea and this forum - wouldn't want to trade it for a cup of free office coffee in a cubicle dealing with lengthy emails! No regrets!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
None, Nix, Nil, Nada!

Been retired about 8 years. Each year is better than the last. I retired to nothing! Went to the lake, watch TV, walk in the morning. I tell people I have found something I am really really really good at! Doing nothing! and I am going to keep doing it. I don't need 'meaning' to my life, or to make a difference. Just like our dog, everyday is Christmas.

I should also point out, finance is going better than forecast. That helps.
Not retired yet, but already feel like a +1. Especially the part about 'don't need meaning'. My whole life has has had 'meaning' built right in, good times and bad, easy times and hard. Took a while to realize it, but well worth the wait...
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired four months now so I am a Newbie, but thus far I love it and cannot think of a good reason to go back to that structured work life. I am still adjusting, but this feels soooooo good!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Have any of you felt that you were put on this earth to do something special with your skills and life, or contribute something really good to the world, but got side tracked along the way? That's the way I have felt all these years. I am now working on fixing that and getting on that road I should have been on decades ago. Retirement has now allowed me to focus on my core values without having to have the need for money cloud the way. I feel like I have now been given a second chance in my life...and this time, I'm not going to screw it up. It's about personal achievement.

Same here - I have often phrased it as "I've valued the jobs that I've had, but not enjoyed them. I've enjoyed my hobbies, but not valued them. I'm hoping that ER will allow me to value the things that I enjoy.

After all, 35 years of w*rking resulted in 5-7 different jobs (depending on how you want to count changes of employment and my core group of 3 hobbies has remained constant. Had I grown up in a different environment I might have been comfortable taking the risks that would have been needed to monetize the hobbies, but instead I kept searching for the secure job that would provide a feeling of fulfillment as well. Never happened.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #56

3 yrs ER'd and no regrets
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired in December 2013 at age 59 so I am still new at this. I find it to be an amazing experience! I love the freedom and flexibility. Just returned from a trip to Arizona which was beyond description. Two more trips in the works. Have taken advantage of some programs at local museums which have been excellent. I read many books to help prepare and am grateful for all the wisdom on this site. I feel that all that prep work made all the difference. I have no regrets.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

The past 8+ years of FIRE have been the best years of my life. It has been long enough that those prior 30 years are starting to fade. I was made for retirement. From the age of 25, that is what I wanted.

My sole regret is that I didn't travel to Hawaii prior to retirement, and now cannot afford a second home there (DW is not moving). My retirement problem doesn't seem to elicit much sympathy from others.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

Still new at this

I retired at the end of 2013 and I'm still in the "pinch me - is this really true stage" The winter up north was cold and brutal (and is still cold even though it's May). But I have no regrets thus far. I love having the time to do the things I always dreamed about when I was working. I also get to spend time with my elderly parents and that is precious to me. Plus my 4 year old Westie thinks it's cool that I'm home everyday. Life is good.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #60
Confused about dryer sheets

Sorry, but I don't do abbreviations well. Just what is "FIRE"?