Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This will help:

* Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum *

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
Sorry, but I don't do abbreviations well. Just what is "FIRE"?
Financially Independent Retired Early

Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Heck, looking back, my whole life has gone differently than originally planned.

heh heh heh - Yep.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #64
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
Financially Independent Retired Early

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #65

In October 2011 I bought a copy of the book Photographer's Survival Manual a Legal Guide for Artists in the Digital Age for $14.44. I should have bought a case of them.

After two sold-out print runs a new copy now sells for $174.01. Would have been a pretty good ROI.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was one of those "Man plans/God laughs" people. I'd planned to work till age 65 (Feb. 2018), the mortgage was on track to be paid off by then, and we would have had another $1 million in assets under some pretty reasonable assumptions. Instead, I got fed up and quit 2 weeks ago after the politics got ugly and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. We'll be fine, I think, but it's not how I wanted to end a career that I've enjoyed and that's provided me with a good living and taken me to places I never thought I'd see on the company dime. So, I do regret not being able to keep that job- I loved the work.

What I remind myself is that DH is 15 years older than I am. I'd known that I might end up having to quit to take on a caregiver role and now we have time together while he's still active and up for travel to interesting places. That's a big plus.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
Sorry, but I don't do abbreviations well. Just what is "FIRE"?
It's a FLA... Four-letter acronym!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Regrets ? I have been retired for 1.5 years now and don't have time to even think ! I almost never have time to hang around on the internet any more.. Decided I was going to become a triathlete and have been working out 4 - 5 hours a day. In my first half ironman in 11 days and if all goes well going to begin training for a full ironman. ... Let's see I lost 105 pounds and run half marathons as partial workouts... Nope no regrets.. loving this whole retirement thing ! Once you have the financial thing out of the way you can really focus on what you really want in life.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Regrets ? I have been retired for 1.5 years now and don't have time to even think ! I almost never have time to hang around on the internet any more.. Decided I was going to become a triathlete and have been working out 4 - 5 hours a day. In my first half ironman in 11 days and if all goes well going to begin training for a full ironman. ... Let's see I lost 105 pounds and run half marathons as partial workouts... Nope no regrets.. loving this whole retirement thing ! Once you have the financial thing out of the way you can really focus on what you really want in life.
Amen to that!

I can't wait. There are so many experiences I want to move forward on, that I never had the chance to with a job, boss, and projects hanging over my head all the time.

Including losing about 80 pounds myself - massive congrats on losing 105! That's awesome!

I have really let myself go sitting in a chair all day and doing nothing but sedentary stuff for years. I try to get on a Nordictrack I have for 30 mins a night, but that's not enough. But by the time I get home, and on weekends, I just don't feel like doing much more than that.

After I quit the 9-to-5 world, though, I plan on amping up my activity level like you did. I remember back in the early 90's, when I lived in Colorado and first learned to ski, I would go to Keystone where they had night skiing, and I'd ski all day, into the night, on Sat and Sun. I definitely want to revisit that.

I'm looking forward to changing my life for the better in so many ways once I can quit and walk out the rat race door forever. I can't wait.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Whatever regret I might have when stopping my lucrative and often enjoyable part-time work in 2012 was squashed when I was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease in 2013, and took an entire year to pursue treatment. I am OK now, but life is too short to spend any minute regretting whatever in the past.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 18 months into semi FIRE, still working about 20 hrs a week from home, but will chuck that at the first overload of BS bucket. I've felt both ways, major feelings of lost youth, then total giddiness of doing whatever I want to do...just this morning woke up at 6:15, then snuggled back down to sleep 2 more hours. FIRE = Priceless
Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 9 months in. No regrets. I'm slightly disappointed in myself that I haven't yet gotten around to most of the hobby projects I wanted to do. While waiting for ER I made a big long list of things I want to do and since ER I've never even looked at it. My non-idle time is consumed mostly by my main hobby, photography. I keep getting myself involved in more and more photography projects that the time I'm spending is like a full time job, with overtime. I have several other hobbies that just aren't getting the love they deserve. All in due time, I presume.

It looks like I'm going to have some larger than anticipated home maintenance expenses coming up soon, as well as a medical procedure next month that's more than I normally spend. It's all in my worst case planning budget but I had hoped not to be tapping so much of that early on. No big deal, just shows you can't plan everything in detail.

I've kept in touch with a couple of former coworkers, but last week I had lunch with the whole department - first time I had seen most of them since ER. Based on what I heard I am **so** glad I left. I sleep well at night knowing that none of that mess is my problem any more.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 1.5 years into retirement and have fully acclimated. We've made six trips in our motor home and we're currently using it as a research facility while looking for property in Melbourne, FL. We like this area. I love controlling my day with exercise, more time to really talk with people, less TV and more travel. I returned from an eleven day hike on the Appalachian trail just two weeks ago. Hiked from Springer Mtn, GA to Franklin, NC. I hiked with a friend that's still working. Unfortunately, my friend was locked into a very tight schedule as he had to get back to work. In some ways that pace was placed on me as well. He did not have time to "smell the roses" on this hike and unfortunately neither did I. I can't imagine going back to the slavery of work.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I worked for 35 years. My Dad worked for 50 years and his wife died the month he retired. I was determined to have enough time to enjoy life. After 12 years retired, I have no regrets. I liked working but I like this better.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I do not have any regrets about retiring. However, I do have other regrets. I posted this on another thread earlier...and it's how I feel:

For me personally...my regret was not following what I was really good at...instead taking another career that to me was stable and predictable...but mediocre in my eyes. It was a good job...but not necessarily for me.

Have any of you felt that you were put on this earth to do something special with your skills and life, or contribute something really good to the world, but got side tracked along the way? That's the way I have felt all these years. I am now working on fixing that and getting on that road I should have been on decades ago. Retirement has now allowed me to focus on my core values without having to have the need for money cloud the way. I feel like I have now been given a second chance in my life...and this time, I'm not going to screw it up. It's about personal achievement.

I know this is getting side tracked...but as a good parent you need to communicate to your kids how important it is to be in the field, (or job), where they are happiest and not something that's just secure. __________________
I was happy to see most people had no regrets, but I feel like I will need a little more than sailing into the sunset, at least during my earlier years of retirement. For me phase two will probably be a job I enjoy, but if not I still feel like I will need to fulfill some purpose that I believe in. I guess I could say I am making money now so I can make a difference later. Not necessarily looking to make world peace but more so inner peace.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokkieny View Post
I was happy to see most people had no regrets, but I feel like I will need a little more than sailing into the sunset, at least during my earlier years of retirement. For me phase two will probably be a job I enjoy, but if not I still feel like I will need to fulfill some purpose that I believe in. I guess I could say I am making money now so I can make a difference later. Not necessarily looking to make world peace but more so inner peace.

Many do that also. I worked part time first three years in retirement. The past year I have done nothing and enjoy that too. But the allure of a quick 6 week job this summer will drag me back in for a few weeks. Those darn Roths are just too appealing to me. I love looking in my Vanguard account and seeing investment gains that can't be taxed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

5 months into retirement ........ Zero regrets!