Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #61

I love this thread.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I love this thread.
Me too. Makes me want to buy an old cabin.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For good deals on used or new construction materials, check out a local Habitat For Humanity store. Ours is called ReStore. Tons of stuff donated to HFH that sells for pennies on the dollar. I'm building a cabin for my wife, a 'she-shed' that looks like an old miner's cabin from the outside, complete with a covered porch and rocking chair, a pot belly stove and plumbed water to a hand pump sink. She's dolling it up with frills and such inside. I got several old windows, over 150 years old, that the glass is that old-time ripple when you look through it for $30 each. I scrapped off 2 or 3 layers of paint and they really add the old-time look to the cabin.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Our first cabin had an outdoor pump and an outhouse. Lighting came from coal oil lamps.

But we had fun. During the day, in the sunshine, there was nothing better. Water and sand everywhere. At night playing crazy eights by the oil lamp, then sacking out early because of all the sun.

Eventually I sold that upgraded cabin because we were 2300 miles away from it. The total initial outlay of $2000 plus sweat equity returned $200,000.

Nine years ago, both my boys got a windfall inheritance of $50k, and they both bought cottages. The joy continues (although they do not remember oil lamps).
Old 05-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Our first cabin had an outdoor pump and an outhouse. Lighting came from coal oil lamps.

But we had fun. During the day, in the sunshine, there was nothing better. Water and sand everywhere. At night playing crazy eights by the oil lamp, then sacking out early because of all the sun.

Eventually I sold that upgraded cabin because we were 2300 miles away from it. The total initial outlay of $2000 plus sweat equity returned $200,000.

Nine years ago, both my boys got a windfall inheritance of $50k, and they both bought cottages. The joy continues (although they do not remember oil lamps).
I now have ROI envy. No way I'll come close.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Mmmhmmm. Cabin discussions should not include ROI.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #67

Agreed. For something like this you are doing well with any R on the I.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4legsgood View Post
Mmmhmmm. Cabin discussions should not include ROI.
This. If anything, the R is the satisfaction from the rehab and enjoyment of the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I love this thread.
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
And I can't live with the blue formica backsplash, so we'll put up black chalkboard contact paper for now, and corrugated tin later. Shopping for replacement items on craigslist as we want to keep the comfy- well loved look it has.
When we upgraded to granite countertop, I painted the formica backslash to better match the kitchen. That was years ago and I haven't been motivated to do more with it yet. It looks fine. I used a good scrubbable paint with a base coat that would adhere to formica.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This. If anything, the R is the satisfaction from the rehab and enjoyment of the cabin.
12909.jpeg

12917.jpeg

This is why I bought it- first one is younger son fishing- second is me and older son watching the sun set. I think this may be the best money I've ever spent
Old 05-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Yes we were overwhelmed with our good fortune. I consider all real estate to be a lifestyle expense. Once in a while we get lucky. Other times not so much. But the investment in family memories is priceless.

(I learned how to hammer nails into the studs at age 4. Dad was patient and sacrificed the few bent nails until I got the hang of it. When I sold it, I was 58.)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #72

Be careful on weekend cabins , we started ours years ago for fun we bought foreclosed land ( just dirt ) 1600.00 an acre . We built a small metal building , the paint on the metal buildings is a galv. paint so it is good many years. We used closed cell ins. (supposedly ) the best insulation you can have, plumbed it modern with pex used the latest technology in AC/ Heat Ductless Mini. On and On The little house is a technologically easy to care for home . So now we are retiring to it next month . Not big but taxes are low and the view is incredible .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Our first cabin was a tar paper fish camp, and who knows how many meals went out of a screened eating porch?

My grandmother paid $4500 for 200' of prime deep water frontage in 1945. Today, those lots are worth $550k+ not including any structures.

We are up to 5 generations using it.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Attachment 28467

Attachment 28468

This is why I bought it- first one is younger son fishing- second is me and older son watching the sun set. I think this may be the best money I've ever spent
Some nice rivers are about 20-30 minutes from us. Forest trails right out the door. We'll likely be buying ATVs this summer...
Old 05-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #75

The ghost town near our cabin:
https://binged.it/2KLzGGm

Nearby view:
https://binged.it/2KLzXcm
Old 05-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The ghost town near our cabin:
https://binged.it/2KLzGGm

Nearby view:
https://binged.it/2KLzXcm
Very nice country. We came close to betting it all on the abandoned military base in Condon Oregon.

There is a little mining town called Eureka in Nevada. Long stretch before you find a Costco over on the other side of the state. But there are a couple little cabins that somebody with lots of time and wood skills redid back in the 70s.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...n2_w41n8_crid/

Doesn't make sense for us, but I am such a sucker for something different. Rock house? Cool interior woodwork?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #77

Contacted a welder friend of mine about building a couple of simple metal supports for that cantilevered front deck.

He is also a sculptor, and had a much better idea.

He wants to make them look like logs from the forest, something similar to this:
ETA: Being the FIRE forum, I should add that he wants to do it for me at cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front deck brace sample.jpg (772.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 AM   #78

That will look awesome. You have very helpful friends!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Contacted a welder friend of mine about building a couple of simple metal supports for that cantilevered front deck.

He is also a sculptor, and had a much better idea.

He wants to make them look like logs from the forest, something similar to this:
ETA: Being the FIRE forum, I should add that he wants to do it for me at cost.

What a novel idea! Very clever! Plus you can hang your bird feeders or houses right up next to the cabin on a few well placed branches
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #80

Got some more work done today. Applied second coat of paint to two sides of cabin, finished ledger board for deck, and loaded up a cord of wood we're giving to a low income friend. Also listened to the 1958 Grundig I restored a few years ago... Back in the day, it was a $1k radio!!! It has a sweet sound. Good old tubes.

And I'll end with a question. Who does that to a toilet seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0878.jpg (1.05 MB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0879.jpg (622.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0882.jpg (895.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0881.jpg (620.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0883.jpg (458.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0869.jpg (453.2 KB, 70 views)