Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired over two years ago and my DW retires on Monday. Our new house in WV, about two hours away, is waiting for us and we hope to close on our house in northern VA by the end of the month. Looking forward to getting out of the high cost and traffic we have here. We bought our property about two years ago. Maybe a bit of an impulse buy but we love the space, the critters, the views,and the quiet (except for deer hunting season). Moving far enough to get the advantages but close enough for some family we have in this area to visit

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I've enjoyed your house-building progress reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Maybe a bit of an impulse buy but we love the space, the critters, the views,and the quiet (except for deer hunting season).
How many deer hunters are you allowed to shoot each season?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am still in the same house I've lived in since I got married. I vacillate between 2 mental states - "get me the h*ll out of here" and "stay put a little longer".

Mr B and I both got stuck here because of spouses who just HAD to be near family, despite the hustorically economic gloominess of the area.
We both want to leave the area, but since "it" is not broken right now, we won't be "fixing it".
After some intial "grass is greener" escapism feelings, we figured out neither of us has a burning desire to tear ourselves up and go through the hassles of relocation.
Ask me again next year...
Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When we were thinking of moving to Springfield, we vacationed there at every opportunity, went to open houses, and talked to a few realtors. Each time we visited we found truly wonderful homes that we would have bought in a heartbeat, had we been ready to do so. There were a plethora of beautiful homes available at very low prices.

Have you tried taking a vacation in your chosen retirement location, and going to open houses? We found that realtors at open houses were mostly pretty bored and they were happy to talk to us about real estate even though we were honest about not being ready to buy.

I second the above comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I am planning on taking about 9-12 months of visiting my eventual destination, which I am very familiar with already, then moving there and finding a suitable rental while I take my time searching for a permanent place. I'm in no hurry, and don't think the US real estate market is going to go ballistic anytime soon. First things first, though - gotta wrap up work!
I have not vacationed in the area I'm planning to move to. I have gone there for some day trips, though not as frequently as in the past.

One possibility I haven't looked into much is taking a leave of absence from work. I can get up to 12 months of my health insurance paid even while not working. Maybe instead of retiring in two years, I should take a sabbatical at that time, see if I can find a part time job in my new area and rent down there while looking at properties. I could put my house here on the market, then when the house sells, go back to the office, clean out my desk and retire officially. (I don't think it's allowed to retire direct from leave without working at least a few days in between.)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
If you don't think the real estate situation is going to be a whole lot better in 2 years (not a stretch), it may be time to get the house prepped for sale and on the market. Moving into a rental (a nice problem to have because your house has sold) is a bit of a pain, but renting and not owning gives you tremendous flexibility to purchase in your final destination.
I thought about doing this a few years ago when I started hearing noises that housing was in a bubble, and with 20-20 hindsight maybe it would have worked out OK. Back then, retirement was still five years or more in the future, and in the end I decided to stay put. But it's an idea with definite possibilities, especially since I am one of the world's worst housekeepers. Probably the house would look better—which I hope means sell faster & for more—if it's unoccupied than it does with me living in it.

The problem is, it would cost me nearly twice as much to rent a one bedroom apartment (I happened to walk by an agent putting out a sign for an apartment on the way to the bus stop yesterday) as I'm paying on my mortgage, and I'd have to pay the mortgage too. I'd have to drastically decrease my saving toward retirement in order to do that. I may have to for a few months during the transition, but I couldn't afford to do it from now until I retire.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. I should probably clarify that I'm planning an in-state move of about 100 miles, not going all the way across the country.

If I decided to move in state I would feel comfortable just visiting it a few times before starting the home search .
Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Our new house in WV, about two hours away, is waiting for us and we hope to close on our house in northern VA by the end of the month. Looking forward to getting out of the high cost and traffic we have here.
If your experience is anything close to ours you're gonna love it. We know it's not nice to gloat but can't help it when we see the DC area traffic reports on TV.

There is not enough money in the world to make us endure that again.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
If your experience is anything close to ours you're gonna love it. We know it's not nice to gloat but can't help it when we see the DC area traffic reports on TV.

There is not enough money in the world to make us endure that again.
Reminds me of my DW's aunt/uncle who lived/worked in the D.C. area for many years (tried to get DW/me to live/work there in the early 70's, after I was discharged from the AF).

They retired in Gettysburg (PA). Little traffic and no state/local tax on their retirement income.

You put up with the BS because you need to. You retire (somewhere else) because you can ...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We are relocating prior to retirement, but to our planned retirement/ESR destination. We pull out of the driveway to travel there (with two cars, camper, 2 dogs, a cat and two kids) a week from today. I can say that the process of preparing for the move and getting the house ready to sell has been very painful, and that is with a paid move that includes having the movers pack all our stuff. It is also hard to say goodbye to our friends, my family, and especially to our lovely home we have been in or about 9 years.

All that said, we knew for a long time that we had no hope of ER/ESR if we stayed where we are now, and we had a destination picked out a long time ago. So we were going to have to move anyway. We would have waited a few more years and then done it, but an opportunity came out of the blue for me to transfer to a stable job that will run as long as I want it to in our planned destination so we jumped on it.

The house we are leaving is not sold yet, although we have had 7 showings and one follow up in the 3 weeks it has been on the market. I would have liked to leave with the house under contract, but there is realistically nothing I could do about it, so it will sell when it sells. In many respects, it may be easier to sell once we are no longer living in it. The housing market sucks, but we beat the sellers of our new home like a rug on the deal (IMO and supported by the appraisal coming in over our contract price) so hopefully it is really a wash aside from a (hopefully) short period of carrying costs on two homes at once.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We are relocating prior to retirement, but to our planned retirement/ESR destination. We pull out of the driveway to travel there (with two cars, camper, 2 dogs, a cat and two kids) a week from today.
Good luck with the move. You going to be in the Denver suburbs? I need a good view of the mountains when I come visit.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Good luck with the move. You going to be in the Denver suburbs? I need a good view of the mountains when I come visit.
Suburbs to the south of the city, but still easily commutable. At this point, I am sick of the goodbyes and winding up and I am ready for a big road trip, a week of camping when we get there, and moving into our new house. Hopefully I shake this miserable cold first.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our new house in WV, about two hours away, is waiting for us and we hope to close on our house in northern VA by the end of the month.
Hmmm... Charlottesville VA is on our short list, I'll be visiting there and several other places in July-August. Best of luck with your transition...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Yipeee!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yipeee!

I listed my townhouse Easter weekend. It was on the market two months, during which NOT ONE PERSON CAME TO SEE IT! I lowered the price twice to get it under the $300K threshold since that seems to be what townhomes are going for.
Last week, I had two people come through. The second made an offer and I accepted after some back and forth bargaining. They are the ideal couple - relocating from Maine, no house to sell, pre-approved, moving to be near family etc. They want the house in 6 weeks which has me stressed out. But I'm quite happy it's sold, given the potential for another housing calamity.
Regarding finding another home, I plan to rent month to month in Sarasota and use my time exploring various communities. When I find "THE ONE", I plan to rent for 6 months to a year in that community. Yes, there are bargains out there. But I don't think a house would sell in FL so I'm going to make darn sure the state and the community are right for me before buying.
My "stuff" is going into storage so I'll be flexible, free and financially ready to plunge into home ownership when the right property grabs me.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hopefully I shake this miserable cold first.
Maybe it is a stress reaction . When I put my New Jersey house on the market I broke out in shingles due to the stress .
Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
I plan to rent month to month in Sarasota and use my time exploring various communities. When I find "THE ONE", I plan to rent for 6 months to a year in that community. Yes, there are bargains out there. But I don't think a house would sell in FL so I'm going to make darn sure the state and the community are right for me before buying.
My "stuff" is going into storage so I'll be flexible, free and financially ready to plunge into home ownership when the right property grabs me.

Great time to rent in Florida since it's low season !
Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We've talked about Mexico for years & visited there. We hope to wrap things up here in August and head that way. The biggest thing we still have to do is give notice to our employers...heavy.

Then we have to sell everything! Good thing is we've lived simple for some time now and have been planning for something like this.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Quote:
Hopefully I shake this miserable cold first.
Maybe it is a stress reaction . When I put my New Jersey house on the market I broke out in shingles due to the stress .
Remind me to get vaccinated before I put my house on the market! The last thing I need is to get sick while it's for sale.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Undoubtedly it is very materially aggravated by all the stress. I finally went to the on-site walk in clinic maintained by my employer yesterday. Diagnosis is bronchitis, dehydration and vertigo. Feeling slightly better today as the antibiotics take hold, but still not right and coughing out my lungs. Today is also crunch day for work for the stuff I have to get done before I split, which is not helping.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #59

I'm a couple of years from ER and already planning my move back to the UK. It will be a big adjustment after spending the last 25 years in the US, but I'm looking forward to it. However, I don't feel as cut off from the UK as I once did as I can now consume lots of British media on the web and I'm even getting up to speed with the real estate market now that the listings are all on line. My ER expenses will be less than in the US and I can get a nice property for around $300k so moving to the UK brings my ER date a little closer.

2 bedroom cottage for sale in Penfold Yard, Quakers Lane, Richmond, DL10, DL10
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Then we have to sell everything! Good thing is we've lived simple for some time now and have been planning for something like this.
You don't have to. You may want to. If you get your FM3 (just one of you) ahead of time, you complete a "Manaje a casa" and can import your stuff duty free. Our friends are in the middle of that process right now. If you import the car, make sure that the import sticker is in the name of the FM3 holder.