Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here is a traffic cam picture from Medford, OR:
Where do you guys buy such narrow cars?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Are you sure the first photo is Medford? Looks like Seattle to me. I-5 four lanes each direction through Medford? I wish. It is two lanes each direction except at exits.

The jam up one direction in Portland? If that was taken today the cause would have been the problem the State is having with a repaving on a freeway bridge south bound on I-405, it was entirely closed well into rush hour and last I looked there were cones, trucks and workers still in middle lane. Asphault was peeling(??) - guess the contractor can't handle temps as high as 80! Helicopters woke me as King TV had one of their helicopters watching the fun.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Don't bite on T-Al's bait Brat. He's just setting up for a sales pitch for the druggy & doggy infested neighboring house down in the cold foggy area he lives in in NoCal. Think the idea is to get more neighbors so there will be more than 7 people attending his gigs and he'll maybe have someone to bike with. His area is remote and Medford is only the closest airport - of course it looks like the big city to him.

No need to come here folks - nothing to see, move along now...

Eureka to Crescent city California is a very very pretty area with a good Costco and a great discount liquor store just before the Oregon border. Also has some great trees and I suspect good access to medicinal herbs if that is your pleasure. Not bad home prices either.

I feel like Medford is pretty right wing as opposed to the more liberal northern Oregon..
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I think they feel the need to balance out Ashland and the Willamette Valley politics.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Well, here is the traffic in Bellingham.

It is mostly Canadians going to COSTCO for cheap gas.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Are you sure the first photo is Medford? Looks like Seattle to me. I-5 four lanes each direction through Medford? I wish.
Well, maybe not. The image is labeled: medford-or-traffic-cameras-10-2.jpg and the web site is

Medford OR Traffic Cameras (Android) - Screenshots

But they might be generic traffic pictures.

Quote:
He's just setting up for a sales pitch for the druggy & doggy infested neighboring house down in the cold foggy area he lives in in NoCal.
Oops, got me.

Actually, every time I mention our cool temperatures or lack of crowds, I think "Hey, what are you doing? Do you want more people here?" But I gotta tell it how it is.

That house next door is still vacant, and I expect/hope it will be vacant for a few years at least.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, every time I mention our cool temperatures or lack of crowds, I think "Hey, what are you doing? Do you want more people here?" But I gotta tell it how it is.

That house next door is still vacant, and I expect/hope it will be vacant for a few years at least.
Pretty area Al - if it wasn't a similar area to Independence Oregon weather-wise I'd still be thinking of it..
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Pretty area Al - if it wasn't a similar area to Independence Oregon weather-wise I'd still be thinking of it..
Looking at the terrible weather in the rest of the nation, I think the best course for a Northwesterner is to come to grips with clouds and rain. Learn to enjoy standing in a river with rain pouring down while you try ot figure out how to tell if that slight bump on your line is a Steelhead or a rock. You ca always take apint of something to help.

It sure beats sliding around on the ice half the year in the midwest, and trying to avoid heatstroke the other half. "When was spring?" "I think it was last Tuesday."

Ha
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Looking at the terrible weather in the rest of the nation, I think the best course for a Northwesterner is to come to grips with clouds and rain. Learn to enjoy standing in a river with rain pouring down while you try ot figure out how to tell if that slight bump on your line is a Steelhead or a rock. You ca always take apint of something to help.

It sure beats sliding around on the ice half the year in the midwest, and trying to avoid heatstroke the other half. "When was spring?" "I think it was last Tuesday."

Ha
+1

Ed
Tired of -40 in the frozen north.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I feel like Medford is pretty right wing as opposed to the more liberal northern Oregon..
My close relative in Ashland days it is pretty liberal--too liberal for them.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
My close relative in Ashland days it is pretty liberal--too liberal for them.
yeah, but Ashland is le arsty-fartsy. "oooo - we're auf to play the grawnd pee-ahno". Shakespeare Festival fer gosh sakes. Not like the Eugene hippy-dippy Oregon Country Fair Oregon Country Fair or Corvallis' kinetic Da Vinci Days Races & Revelry :: da Vinci Days

Feel like Medford is more akin to the Sublimity Harvest Fest and tractor pull Sublimity Harvest Festival
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

They never go to Shakespeare in Ashland! We love it, though. We could live in Ashland happily.

T-Al is right about Medford. Too hot.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

We have definitely decided to look at Portland when we go to OR (it probably will be our first stop since we found a campground that looks really nice right outside it). Are there neighborhoods that are better for FIRE that we should look at? We definitely want a house with a basement so from what I have read, an older neighborhood would be in order?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

That really depends on your budget. I will PM you with the name of the realtor we used, she came recommended by another buyer. We knew the neighborhoods but we had never really house shopped before so her help in valuations and negotiation was needed. She lives in close-in SE and knows the neighborhoods on the east side very well.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Googling "Portland neighborhoods" brings up a remarkable list of references.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Our friends just got back from a visit to Portland. They said, "Gosh I'm glad we don't live there. It was hot and crowded."
Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #77

Quote:
Our friends just got back from a visit to Portland. They said, "Gosh I'm glad we don't live there. It was hot and crowded."
It was hot because we just finished a visit up there, and Mother Nature is determined to see me remain miserably hot wherever I go.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Yeh, summer arrived about 10 days ago, maybe last another 10 days. Temps in the high 70s-mid 80s. For us that is HOT!

Articles such as that in the NY Times travel section today brings lots of visitors in August. I hope they don't get the wrong impression about our weather.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
They never go to Shakespeare in Ashland! We love it, though. We could live in Ashland happily.

T-Al is right about Medford. Too hot.

My parents retired to Rogue River, 15 miles north of Medford (50 miles north of the OR/CA border) 30 years ago. Comparatively speaking I'd characterize the climate as mild. A 3-10 100+ days and about the same number of 20- days a year. In the Rogue Valley, I think Ashland has by far the most charm, between the wonderful Shakespeare festival and the University of Southern Oregon campus. Grants Pass Oregon is also very liveable little city, with slightly cooler days, and much less foggy winters than Medford. The only thing Medford has going for it is shopping.

I only spent a week there but Eugune OR. impressed the heck out of me as place to retire, sort of likely Berkeley, without the smell and the crazies.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired to SW Oregon near Grants Pass about 12 years ago from the Bay Area (California) and I have been extremely pleased with this move. The housing cost differential enabled us to buy outright a little 7 acre place that we turned into a mini goat farm and quite frankly If I'd known this sort of thing is actually doable I would have done it much earlier. I love music and to me it's quite amusing that I actually go the symphony and Jazz festivals far more frequently that I ever did while living in the big metropolis.