Join Early Retirement Today

Relocation help
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Relocation help

Well, since I am new to this board this may be off topic but in scanning the other sections my question does not seem to fit anywhere.

What is a good online comprehensive resource that will help me research what town/city I will relocate to?

I dont mind paying a fee. In fact for the detail I want I would expect to pay a fee.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Relocation help
Old 06-22-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Enigma, here is one source of information: http://www.city-data.com/

My fee for providing this information is $100.00. You may submit your payment here: http://www.fireseeker.com/results.php

Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Also try this one for several sources of info on moving costs, city profiles, salary comps. etc.
http://www.moving.com/
Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
What is a good online comprehensive resource that will help me research what town/city I will relocate to?
Here's a dumb question, Enigma: what is it about where you're living that makes you want to move?

In other words what's keeping you there, and when you ER what becomes so bad about your location that the positives are outweighed by the negatives?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Here's a dumb question, Enigma:* what is it about where you're living that makes you want to move?*
Nords, That is a very insightful question if you ask me.

In other words what's keeping you there, and when you ER what becomes so bad about your location that the positives are outweighed by the negatives?
Positives

Job: Great employer. Treats me very well, great compensation, great benefits, generally very good co-workers and upper management is decent to work with (I am the 2nd person in charge at the location level. 350 employees.

Area: Incredibly beautiful. Snow capped peaks, huge forests, rivers, lakes, Hits our recreational favorites dead on. My wifes father is 15 min away, Her mother & sister 5 min. (Yes, I get along great with my mother/father in law Great people). Great to have my kids near there elders.

Climate: Very good, very little snow where we live but an easy 30 minute drive up into the mountains to go sledding, skiing. Spectacular spring, summer, fall.

Cons

This once modest town of 18,000 and nearby berg, once 8,000 in 1993 when my company moved me here are now combined* about 100,000-125,000 population for the two communities including outlying areas.* Why? Climate & Area as mentioned above in "positives" also relatively speaking land and homes were priced cheap in 93 when compared to what the area had to offer.* For example: In 1996 I purchased a forested, private 5 acre parcel in a planned estate community. Had a custom designed home drawn up and built with mountain views and excellent neighbors, $195,000 total. A spec home is being built in my neighborhood right now its 2400sf mine is 2100sf. It has a few more frills than mine but is listed for sale at $895,000. Yikes !!!!!

Change in demographic: Not from an ethnic standpoint but what I will label a "kindness" standpoint. The huge influx of people from other areas flowing in brought their ideas, viewpoints, and mannerisms with them. A lot of these folks are nice however on balance the scale has tipped negative in a big way. Rude, selfish, demanding* behavior. Very materialistic. In general the numbers are growing of "not nice people"* All of the above is not in alignment with who we are as people. We used to "fit" but we dont any more.

School overcrowding: 39 students and 1 teacher without an aide in my sons 5th grade class.

Job: All of the stuff listed in pros apply. However it is corporate america and its all about beating last years "comps" the pressure is nuts and because of this the corporate culture has also changed dramatically dispite them resisting this negative change with all there might. Market forces have put them in this position to compete. I am burnt to a crisp after 22 years and the expectations increase year over year. I am going to blow a valve if I stay.

So it boils down to this: Yeah its a really cool place but we dont fit here anymore. What was once a town that made us feel like we had a home, relaxed, at ease, enjoying life no longer exists. In fact it is sucking the life out of us.

Also, I can sell my highly appreciated home and pocket 350k tax free while eliminating my mortgage and move back to a small berg with nice people and a few of the recreational opportunites we enjoy. It may not have the beauty, or recreational opportunities but it will have nice people and I can be with the most important thing in my life. My wife and two kids.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have been poking around at these sites.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/

http://www.bestplaces.net/
Old 06-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just a thought, Enigma...

When I first read Nords' question I expected you to reply with a list of strong negatives about job and location. But your reply was more complicated than that.

So, if you hang around here long enough you realize that a lot of folks find that after they retire, their whole outlook on their present situation changes entirely.

The traffic is no big deal, since now they just avoid rush hour. The hussle is less troublesome since time and deadlines largely disappear. And they start surrounding themselves with like-minded people and minimize their contact with the Californians less civil crowd.

In other words, with all the positives you mention, it might be worth deferring a decision until well after you FIRE -- see if it still looks the same, and then move. But if you now find you like it for all the reasons you mentioned, you will have avoided a big move which may not work out as well as you thought.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, what Rich said.

If you were going to move closer to relatives or to take care of aging parents or just to get back to a place where you used to live before, then that's great. You're moving toward something.

But it seems that you have plenty of reasons to move away from where you are now without anything necessarily pointing you in a direction. That's usually difficult to execute.

The ER lifestyle insulates you from the workplace/commuting issues and most of the crowding issues. Unlike the workplace, you'll have the time to indulge in activities you like and you'll be more likely to meet people who you like to be with.

Sucking the equity out of the home is a challenge, but maybe it's worth tackling that challenge to avoid the hassle of selling, moving, relocating, finding, and moving back into a home. Or maybe not.

And it's entirely possible that there's a school district with a lower student-teacher ratio, or that things will change in middle school.

I do know that it's extremely difficult to cruise through a database of "where to live" criteria and find a place that feels like home. You might end up spending the rest of your life in western Texas, not that there's anything wrong with that!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Your comments helped me look deeper into my motives. The ER angle changing things about how you interact in your community makes a lot of sense. Nearly all of the "jerks" I deal with are in my workplace so that would be eliminated. I have quit shopping with certain merchants because of indifferent, unkind staff. I believe I could eliminate a good portion of one of my major stressors if I did ER.

I asked myself the question "If my house in the forest was paid off would I stay here". I quickly, with no hesitation said yes. I also asked my wife the same question and she said yes.

2 new schools are coming online in my town but that will barely keep pace. Another bond is coming up next year for more schools so that may answer the question.

We looked long and hard at downsizing in our community. Maybe a little older home 1975-85 build in a well maintained neighborhood so I could get a large lot and still maintain some space around me (the current building code allows single family homes to be built on 4000sf lots)

Of course, these are highly sought after homes and in comes the supply side economics and accordingly a big price premium over the median price home. Most of these are in the 350k range. 1600-2000sf on 1/3 of an acre type stuff. I would have no problem doing something like that. I am going to call my realtor today and revisit this idea.

Keep the thoughts coming. Appreciate the input...GOOD STUFF !!!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if thats a standard story. With the real estate boom it doesnt seem like they left any place "undeveloped"
Of course they have made a few places like disneys Celebration thats suppose to be more community orientated. Anyone here live in one of those communities ?
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Once I heard what changes you reported I thought, sounds just like Bend or in the Wmt. Valley.* Then I clicked your profile... yup, just as I thought.

I am an Oregon expat, we retired to Kitsap County Washington.* Frankly the skiing stinks (and at our age isn't on our short list of activities any more), but those who ski take the time to go to Whistler, Sun Valley, Bend or Utah.* Boating, fishing, golfing, however, can't be beat.* The beaches aren't Oregon quality, by in large (cold, just like home).* Schools are good to outstanding, depending on the district.* The library system is great.*

Ashland or Hood River/The Dalles are worthy of consideration. I won't share their treasures least I cause what you are trying to escape.

For all the rest of you: it rains too much, the sun never hits the ground.* The reason why so many Norse settled here is that the weather is just like the old country.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

The very thing they sought to escape they brought with them.

I spent 9 years bouncing around the Willamette Valley and boy it rains alot. Mt. Hood Meadows is still my favorite place to ski regionally although I dont ski much anymore. 70 days a year for 20 years burnt me out on skiing. Born in Central Washington and spent my Youth in NE Washington. Did most of my skiing at Red Mountain, Rossland BC (now thats a great mountain !)

My Uncles nephew on his wifes side is a Kitsap county sheriffs deputy. Loves the place. I think he lives in Bremerton. My Uncle RE to Trout Lake WA from the Willamette Valley. Loves it up there but WAY too much snow for me.

I have some favorite towns I am looking at but will stay hush on the matter.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The Sound operates just like a heat pump... cools the summers and moderates the winters.* Snows about as much as Portland (abt 6 days a year- all but fools hunker down with a cup of coffee and watch the free-style bumper cars).

There are micro climates, on the peninsula one town mild and dry where you wouldn't expect such weather.* The gaps in the Olympic Mtn range keep things interesting.

We RE'd here because Bend/Sunriver is too cold in the winter, the coast a little too wind-swept.* We love the maritime climate, stunning views, sense of community, and convenience to downtown Seattle WITHOUT A CAR!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Brat,

I know where you are but I wont reveal it. The banana belt of the peninsula and its not Port Townsend easy ferry ride to anacortes or vancouver island or drive to Silverdale and go across to Seattle.

Is there good ATV riding up there? I mean lots of good riding.

How about schools? Its a pretty small town, not much of a tax base.

I will reveal myself and say I do reside in Central Oregon. Not much snow in the valley floor but long dry, blustry cold spells. The "winters" are looooooonnnnnng.....I dont do winter sports at all any more although I want my kids to have the opportunity to try it out. Mt. Bachelor pretty much stinks in my opinion since since conglomerate Powdercorp took over. Snow is good but terrain is boring, Rather go to HooDoo. More of a small, family oriented hill.

Trust me. If you like the laid back peninsula vibe you would absolutely HATE Bend now.

It used to be that you would see real buckaroos in town. Wranglers with bunched up jean legs at the boot so when you were in the saddle you still had coverage, Chaps, Muddy boots, Spurs, and a wide brim prairie style cowboy hat. A working buckaroo. Old fashioned manners too. A tip of the hat to the ladies, a polite nod to the men and holding doors open for ladies. Polite folk.

Now its the funky pink cowboy hats With the sides turned straight up and $1000 custom pink cowboy boots with funky pointy toes, skin tight shirt with your belly sticking out. Not that this is a bad thing mind you, just not me.

I miss the blue collar feel. Its who I am. I am a plain guy and I like it that way. I used to blend so nicely.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, the good old days!* When I was a kid there was a vacation ranch near Sisters (north of what is now Black Butte) where the aroma of horses wafted over the swimming hole.* So sweet!!* Joseph, Baker and Burns are still off the beaten path, and if you don't mind the winters any town near the Wallowa or Blue Mtns is a great place for folks who like to ride horses and appreciate back country skiing.* There is where the tack rooms are show places and the folks in western clothes know a steer from a bull.

Once owned a place in SR, sold it when the winter drive over the Cascades with kids was more than I was willing to suffer.*

I don't use ATVs so can't comment on how much they can be used anywhere.* Were that important to me I would contact firms that sell ATVs and ask if there are trail maps and clubs in the area.

It is hard to have a good tax base in smaller towns.* Washington publishes test results by school, a reasonable measure of whether or not the message is getting through to the kids.* Other measures when considering any community would be the crime rate and educational attainment level of the adults.* In addition to these, look to see if the schools have debate, mock trial/constitution clubs.* These programs require a lot of parental involvement - another indicator of strong schools.* Tax base can be misleading because the State is (supposed to) be providing for the base.

As you know, unless you live convenient to Bremerton, Bainbridge or Port Townsend (where there is ferry service to Seattle/Everett) the city is a world away – but that suits many.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sage advise brat, Thanks.....