Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We recently sold my Mom's home about 40 minutes north of Moemg. We thought that we would have to paint the inside and some of the outside and do some minor renovations in order to sell since virtually nothing had been done in over 15 years. The real estate agent advises against doing so... in fact the carpeting was awful and we planned to replace it and she suggested that we just clean it. We did a good job cleaning it out (all belongings gone and just some furniture for staging), pressure washed the siding and gutters, shampooed the carpets and had it throughly cleaned. About $500 as I recall.

We did price it accordingly but a couple a bit older than me bought it and plan to rennovate it. They invited me to stop by and see it and I'm looking forward to doing so.

The only thing that we had to do was to replace the main electrical junction panle and breakers and a sub panel that provided HVAC power... the buyer's insurance company insisted on it and that was a common demand in the sale of older homes in the area. The electrical work was ~$1,350... so in total less than $2k for costs to prepare it for sale.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Define "very high-end" please.

Their appliances were not very high end just high end . To me a stove close to $5000 is high end .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Everyone seems to focusing on whether you should remodel for resale. The original question though didn't say anything about resale just about when you "should" remodel.

I would say that depends on what the purpose is of the remodel and what you mean by remodel.

I think the more average time for remodeling a particular area of the house is 15 years. Now most people don't remodel the entire house at one time. They do it in stages. So you might remodel the master bath this year and then 8 years later do the kitchen.

So every 8 years to do some significant remodel of a portion of the house doesn't seem unreasonable. Doing the entire house every 8 years seems unlikely for most people. We are bought to do a major remodel to the house we bought last year (1980s) but are focusing on only a few areas. We aren't doing the kitchen for example. But we might do that in future.

I would not do a major remodel just for resale purposes. Remodels are to enhance your enjoyment of the house and make it more functional for you. Of course, you may need to do some things to get a house ready for sale.

At the house we sold last year, we did do some relatively minor work in our bathroom (replaced counters, sinks and mirrors and removed an upper cabinet). That was fine and not hugely expensive. On the other hand, in our current house we are about to completely gut and redo the bathroom. I wouldn't do that if we thought we would sell any time soon.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Fair point re: OP. We do periodic remodels... on the house we bought in 1986 we added a playroom for the kids and a sewing room for DW and a large walk-in storage closet... total kitchen remodel another year... replaced garage slab another year... plus occasional repainting... wallpapering... taking down wall paper and repainting... you get the idea. Most were DIY except kitchen remodel and garage slab.

On our current home that we bought as a seasonal camp in 2005 we did an extreme remodel in 2011... we tore the place down and rebuilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20101019A.jpg (690.7 KB, 72 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Our pool guy, for what it's worth, told us that most of the homes he services seem to get a remodel every 15 years "and that's when they replace the pool." The house we just bought is 15 years old, but he didn't know that :-)

I think "every 8 years" is about how often the housing industry manages to introduce new fashions in kitchens, baths, etc., and then convince people that anything else looks "dated." It's like any other industry, including divorce lawyers: convince people they no longer like what they used to like, and then sit back and take their money.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

How often a home needs remodeling is a product of how up to date the home was when it was built. Some homes are of standard trim, and some have highline trim doors, cabinetry, appliances, flooring and bathroom fixtures ahead of their time.

Homes built with "contractor grade" materials might warrant an 8 year remodel.

We were in our last house 10 years, and it was built to standard trim levels. I repainted the bedrooms and put new carpets in the bedrooms. I also replaced vinyl tile in the main bedroom bath with 58 cent per square foot ceramic tile--total cost $138. For $1.5K, we had the house in completely new condition and it sold to the third person that looked at it for list price. It helped greatly that we'd already cleaned out the house completely and had moved into another home. Buyers want completely move in houses with colors they won't have to repaint.

Our new home was a foreclosure in remarkably good condition. And it is a home built of higher level trims including high line lighting, soaring ceilings and a den that's 26 x 48'. We were fortunate to have the cash to buy it, as the credit union just wanted it liquidated. And we're in it for less than new homes half the square footage.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Their appliances were not very high end just high end . To me a stove close to $5000 is high end .
Not even close.

$100K USD. Molteni from Electrolux
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not even close.

A person would have to be out of their ever-lovin mind. Either that, or more likely, they would have to be a whole lot more particular about such appliances than I am. You could buy a whole house for that much in some locations! Including the stove.

Here are some houses selling for less than $100K in Springfield, Missouri, for example, a place that is dear to my heart:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...e-90000-100000
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Our pool guy, for what it's worth, told us that most of the homes he services seem to get a remodel every 15 years "and that's when they replace the pool." The house we just bought is 15 years old, but he didn't know that :-)

I think "every 8 years" is about how often the housing industry manages to introduce new fashions in kitchens, baths, etc., and then convince people that anything else looks "dated." It's like any other industry, including divorce lawyers: convince people they no longer like what they used to like, and then sit back and take their money.

I have never known anybody to replace their pool maybe He meant resurface .
Old 06-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Not even close.

For that price I would want it to food shop and cook me dinner .
Old 06-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
People that buy those stoves don't really use them. It's just for show.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have never known anybody to replace their pool maybe He meant resurface .
Yes, generally waterline tile is ready (or is) to fall out, plaster is cracked/gone, and decking needs to be redone. I have two friends here that just "redid" that work at costs between $10 - $15K.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I am at that age when parents die off (although mine died a long time ago). Friends my age all seem to be inheriting money, and using it to remodel houses and go traveling. I mean, what else is there to spend it on.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not even close.

Despite all that flashy gold, you have to ask if it is a good stove.

Beats me. I think I will defer to my personal chef. As a professional, he knows more than myself about this stuff.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
I would expect that your chef would do that.
You do have a personal chef?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I would expect that your chef would do that.
You do have a personal chef?

I do . She is in her early 70's and very reliable . She even clips coupons .She does favor the crock pot and the air fryer a little too much but she has had no complaints from the people she serves .If she did she might go on strike .
Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I am at that age when parents die off (although mine died a long time ago). Friends my age all seem to be inheriting money, and using it to remodel houses and go traveling. I mean, what else is there to spend it on.
My SIL spent about $15 K on a face lift. I think she has some more "work" that needs to be done too!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the remodel, travel, eat & drink well club too. And step children college expenses.

Blow that dough!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do . She is in her early 70's and very reliable . She even clips coupons .She does favor the crock pot and the air fryer a little too much but she has had no complaints from the people she serves .If she did she might go on strike .
I'll bet that $100K Molteni does not have an air fryer built in.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It wouldn't fit in my kitchen either.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote