Join Early Retirement Today

Remote Island retirement - alone and naked
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Remote Island retirement - alone and naked

Just sharing an interesting article I read -
Japanese Hermit, Masafumi Nagasaki, Has Lived Naked And Alone On Sotobanari Island For 20 Years [PHOTOS] - International Business Times

This 76-year old Japanese man retired on a remote island 20 years ago and has learnt to live frugally, alone and naked (yeah, wears no clothes - plenty savings there). He still looks strong and healthy (naked picture included in the article). In his own words - "Finding a place to die is an important thing to do, and I've decided here is the place for me," he said, reported Reuters. "It hadn't really occurred to me before how important it is to choose the place of your death, like whether it's in a hospital or at home with family by your side. But to die here, surrounded by nature -- you just can't beat it, can you?"

Doubt I can do this but he does have a point about dying surrounded by nature.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If he's happy...I'm happy for him.

As for me...modern conveniences have become a habit.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I love that he's still got his cigarette. Man knows how to live.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how much of his own urine he drinks.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I wonder how much of his own urine he drinks.
Ha ha! Apparently he is quite civilised - buys his water once a week from a nearby settlement. Won't be surprised he has a good stock of beer too!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #6

I wonder what kind of reaction he gets when he walks through the settlement and into the stores naked?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Misleading thread title - he wears a hat.

Wonder if that $120/week is his calculated SWR?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Administrator

From the article,

Quote:
For 20 years, Nagasaki has lived on the Sotobanari Island just west of Japan's Okinawa prefecture. He was originally a photographer, working in the entertainment industry. However, he eventually decided to leave his job and get away from it all.
Whew, I'm glad I didn't work in the entertainment industry, if that experience drives people to a retirement so LBYM that they have to live alone and naked for 20 years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Sometimes, what that guy is doing sounds like heaven.

I agree about finding a place to die. Too many people end up in a hospital, hooked up to machines that are doing nothing but prolonging the inevitable. When my FIL had his stroke, they said he'd never recover from the coma. It seemed best to let him go. 18 days later, with no food and minimal fluids, he finally passed. I wonder about the humanity of that sometimes.

Between this and my diatribe in the fat people live as long as skinny people thread, I'm in serious downer mode today. I need some bacon or something.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
If he's happy...I'm happy for him.

As for me...modern conveniences have become a habit.
Conveniences like a morphine drip if I ever have a lingering illness/death (happy thought!). And clothes! Me walking around naked is not a pretty thought.

His life sounds idyllic in its own way, but not at all to my taste. I could have chosen another island (I have visited Big Island, Maui and Kaua'i), but they are all too "un-spoiled" for me. I still want to go to Costco and (heaven forgive me) Burger King and Wendy's, etc. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

This guy seems obsessed with dieing, but seems to have come to grips with it. Pretty much LBYM to the max, I'd say.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Conveniences like a morphine drip if I ever have a lingering illness/death (happy thought!). And clothes! Me walking around naked is not a pretty thought.

His life sounds idyllic in its own way, but not at all to my taste. I could have chosen another island (I have visited Big Island, Maui and Kaua'i), but they are all too "un-spoiled" for me. I still want to go to Costco and (heaven forgive me) Burger King and Wendy's, etc. YMMV
Man...I hear ya. The first thing I thought about (with all my toof issues) was the lack of novacaine!

...........and my comfy bed.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
(I have visited Big Island, Maui and Kaua'i), but they are all too "un-spoiled" for me. I still want to go to Costco and (heaven forgive me) Burger King and Wendy's, etc. YMMV
You need to come back! Kona's got a Costco. Not sure about the other two.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingHomework View Post
You need to come back! Kona's got a Costco. Not sure about the other two.
I will indeed have to come back. I love the Big Island! I love the volcanos. I love the moonscapes and tropical forests. I love the wide open spaces. I love driving the Saddle. I could definitely spend another two weeks exploring this natural wonder of an Island. I just don't think I could live there - even WITH a Costco! Thanks for the invitation.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
I love that he's still got his cigarette. Man knows how to live.
Where does a nudist carry his cigarettes & matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
It seemed best to let him go. 18 days later, with no food and minimal fluids, he finally passed. I wonder about the humanity of that sometimes.
My mother chose the "voluntary stopping eating & drinking" approach when her metastasized cancer started making her bones fragile. 18 days is toward the long end of the bell curve; I think she only needed a week. Her "humanity" issues were with her quality of life when she broke her leg. She was perfectly logical & lucid about the process, and she even hung on for the time it took my brother and I to fly in and say goodbye.

Books on "slow medicine" describe the process. Essentially any pain from hunger is less than the pain they've been tolerating from other sources, and it can be reduced with morphine or other palliatives. Regardless of the degree of pain, they've developed the willpower to see it through. Perhaps exerting their control over the process is preferable to the way their life has become.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Where does a nudist carry his cigarettes & matches?
I really, REALLY don't want to know.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

20 years? It's taking him a lot longer than Thoreau...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote