Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Even in a cold climate, the breakeven/payback on triple glazed high tech vs basic double glazed is pretty long at anything like today's energy costs. If you do a search, you'll find lots of (disinterested) third party articles re: triple glazing payback. Good luck.
I bought my triple pane for the increased comfort and noise level reduction...return on investment was not a factor. I was willing to pay for those benefits, but someone else may not be quite as willing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most buyers won't care, and therefore won't pay a premium for triple glazed windows over double. Unless the realtor points it out, most buyers probably won't even notice.

Even in a cold climate, the breakeven/payback on triple glazed high tech vs basic double glazed is pretty long at anything like today's energy costs. If you do a search, you'll find lots of (disinterested) third party articles re: triple glazing payback. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I bought my triple pane for the increased comfort and noise level reduction...return on investment was not a factor. I was willing to pay for those benefits, but someone else may not be quite as willing.
I agree. But IME most buyers don't, just trying to answer the OP's question.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #23

Quote:
I agree. But IME most buyers don't, just trying to answer the OP's question.
Oops...I missed the part where they said they are moving in 5-10 years. In that case, I agree that they are not a worthwhile investment.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If you don't have spray foam walls or 6" walls filled with fiberglass bats and R38 in the attic, triple pane seems like putting a silver saddle on a mule.
Since OP seems to have their question answered, hopefully a little drift is OK...

I'm sure you are right, but does anyone have a good easy-to-read source on this? Windows make up only a fraction of surface area of a home, and while they obviously don't insulate as well as a typical wall/ceiling, does the difference in good/better/best windows really have much overall effect?

Seems like a fairly simple formula summing the conductance, taking into account the conductance values and area of each, then again with a delta for the windows. But I don't think I've ever seen this spelled out.

-ERD50
Old 04-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Since OP seems to have their question answered, hopefully a little drift is OK...

I'm sure you are right, but does anyone have a good easy-to-read source on this? Windows make up only a fraction of surface area of a home, and while they obviously don't insulate as well as a typical wall/ceiling, does the difference in good/better/best windows really have much overall effect?

Seems like a fairly simple formula summing the conductance, taking into account the conductance values and area of each, then again with a delta for the windows. But I don't think I've ever seen this spelled out.

-ERD50
I don't think this contains a formula, but it does show loss contributions around the house. Just seems to me that triple pane windows will have diminishing returns if other key areas are not up to snuff:
Energy Loss in Homes and the Benefits of Insulation [infographic] - Green Home Gnome