Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
You can do two weeks standing on your head...

Congratulations!
I'm a little iffy about standing on my head, but sitting on my a** sounds more like it

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

10% of your 2 weeks is now gone!!! Enjoy

Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I sent the 2 weeks' notice on Friday and nothing has been said at work today. I wasn't marched out the door or anything, I'm just working. My boss hasn't talked to me and hasn't told anyone, as far as I can tell. I told a few people. It's pretty surreal!
Maybe your boss hasn't read her email?

Audrey
Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I delivered my resignation letter in person to my bosses. I felt they deserved to hear it from me directly.
I think it is both discourteous and unprofessional to deliver a notice of resignation via email.

However: all too many bosses deliver important communications that way, without any prior consultation or personal interaction. If that's the case at thinker25's workplace, I certainly don't blame her for going the email route.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I think it is both discourteous and unprofessional to deliver a notice of resignation via email.

However: all too many bosses deliver important communications that way, without any prior consultation or personal interaction. If that's the case at thinker25's workplace, I certainly don't blame her for going the email route.
I agree with you, Milton. But I did not want to make any assumptions about Thinker25's workplace, either. However, even if I had been subject to company emails being the method of delivering lots of big news, I would not have wanted to deliver my biggest piece of news that way. I wanted to savor the moment of telling them I was leaving. And I did.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

When I told my boss I was leaving, that was by phone (he worked in a different state). What I remember (funny then and still now...the w*rkplace) was that during the discussion he asked if he wanted me to tell my group or him. I said I'll tell them. Boss said, sure, he understood. As soon as I go back to my desk, I hear the phone ring of a co-w*rker's. Then I hear soft discussions in cubicles near mine saying, "did you hear the news...." gossip sure travels fast
Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #67

Quote:

Both my boss and I work from home on Friday so delivering it in person was not an option unless I wanted to give more (or less) than 2 weeks' notice. I did not want to do that - and get a ton of extra work for my efforts. It was best done the way I did it.

We have a workplace where a great deal of communication is done by email. I don't find it inappropriate in this case.

We did discuss it in person on Monday.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #68

No criticism was intended, and I apologize if it came across that way. None of us are (or at least, were) familiar with your work arrangements.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #69

Quote:
No criticism was intended, and I apologize if it came across that way. None of us are (or at least, were) familiar with your work arrangements.
Not a problem, just wanted to explain what apparently wasn't clear.

The news is out now, and people keep enviously coming over and expressing massive envy. I just say (essentially): get old, save a great deal of your paycheck, LBYM and pay attention to your investments.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The news is out now, and people keep enviously coming over and expressing massive envy. I just say (essentially): get old, save a great deal of your paycheck, LBYM and pay attention to your investments.

That's great! About the people coming over with massive envy. I remember when I FIRE'd, on the final day, a co-w*rker came up to me and said that she really admired what I did and said she wished she could do the same. I'm sure there's some of both going on towards you. Envy and admiration that you did it
Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
That's great! About the people coming over with massive envy. I remember when I FIRE'd, on the final day, a co-w*rker came up to me and said that she really admired what I did and said she wished she could do the same. I'm sure there's some of both going on towards you. Envy and admiration that you did it
It's pretty entertaining listening to people say they couldn't possibly even max out a 401k plan. I work in IT - these people make good salaries...
Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I followed a similar plan. Always maxed out my 401K plan (worked in IT also). There was one guy who worked with me who was in his early 20's, but like many then, retirement in 20+ years from then feels like an enternity -- not realizing the magic of compounding. The way I look at it, those years help make a good running start til FIREing, and hopefully we have a soft landing
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #73

Quote:

The short answer I gave to my envious coworkers when they asked me how I was able to FIRE at age 45 was this: "No kids, no debts." And it did not matter to me if the inquisitive coworker were married or single, childed or childless, debt-free or debt-full.

One coworker I have remained in touch with in the last 18 months since I retired, still wonders how I cover my expenses even though I have told him a few times in the detail I have written in this forum. He turns 66 this year and hopes to finally retire next year, to the glee of some of his coworkers who don't like him so much.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

How does it go this week so far after you sent that email last Friday?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
How does it go this week so far after you sent that email last Friday?
My boss finally sent the email blast so now everyone knows - although a lot of people had no idea I was 62. I look much younger. Anyhow there has been lots of envy and some accolades from surprising places - which has been very nice. Since I am trying to not burn bridges, I have kept my mouth shut about a lot of why I'm leaving.

I have some stock remarks I make about wanting the summer off, and also a friend dropped dead about 4 weeks ago - I say that was a major reality check. That stops them - dead....

A lot of the people around my age are interested in exactly what I'm going to do - but also a lot know retired friends who are busy all the time. I don't work with too many who wouldn't know what they'd do with all that free time.

Envy is the main reaction.

It is less stressful being there... because the worst is over and what on earth could they do to me now?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Soon all the workplace drama will fade into the sunset. I recommend starting to focus your attention on the place past work.

In the meantime, do the right things, be professional and let them give you a fair well party if that's the usual thing in your office.

You will look back on this time often. I sure did. If you're lucky, there will be one or two friends you keep in touch with. Those who are more interested in their friendship with you than discussing office politics or complaining about the boss.

This time will pass very quickly then you will be off to a new adventure. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #77

Excellent advice from Purron.

Quote:
Since I am trying to not burn bridges, I have kept my mouth shut about a lot of why I'm leaving.
This makes sense. Regardless of what problems there are were in your workplace, it is essentially behind you now and there is no reason to be negative. As Dale Carnegie said, "never criticize, condemn or complain".

Quote:
It is less stressful being there... because the worst is over and what on earth could they do to me now?
Exactly right.