Join Early Retirement Today

Resisting temptation
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 AM   #1

Resisting temptation

I know that Cut-Throat and others say they have this
problem beat. I still have trouble with it, even after
years of retirement. I think it's my entreprenuerial
instincts mostly. There is a small clinic building for sale
about 12 miles from here. It's been empty and for sale for years. I know the area well and think it would make a nice duplex. Since I drive by it several times a week
I am continuously reminded. Yesterday (Sunday) I
happened to be driving by the realtor's office who has it
listed. Fortunately, no one was there . In a few hours
the urge had passed. It gets easier to avoid these
"opportunities" , but the ideas still fow
continuously.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Resisting temptation
Old 02-28-2005, 04:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who's gonna manage that duplex? If it's you, is that considered work? 8)

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:32 AM   #3

Aye, and there's the rub! Also, even if you hire
professional management (which cuts into your cash flow), it is still "work" IMHO. I am sure Cut-Throat
would agree having read several of his posts on this
subject.

JG
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our duplex went fairly early into ER - doing without the rental cash flow was a tad nervous - but spitting distance of an age 55 pension helped. Literally consumed the sale/cap gain $ in the first ten years of ER.

When you are the owner of rental property - everything breaks in the middle of the night - or when you a just leaving on a trip - or so it seemed. I do not miss it - even though it helped in the accumulation/savings phase getting to ER.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #5

What's wrong with a little unstructured 'work' managaing a duplex during ER? I think its a great use of a tiny fraction of all that free time we have, can generate nice cashflow or long term returns not highly correlated to stock and bond markets (which dampens portfolio volatility).

Rehabbing, landlording and so forth seem like ideal ER pursuits -- who says ER has to be all about leisure and fun? It got to be so much work for me trying to keep myself amused without any commitments or projects bigger than my wife's honey-do list that I nearly went bonkers until I discovered the joys of low-stress part-time 'activities' which might make a bit of money some day. Maybe its just how I'm wired up.

John, if temptation to do something wholesome and profitable is knocking, what are you resisting? If you spend 100 hours a year researching stock portfolio stuff, how is that any different than spending 100 hours a year managing a duplex? I bet you'd have fun with it anyway, and you'd feel good about yourself to boot.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with you ESRBob, managing a duplex or other RE can be no more work than managing a portfolio. Don't resist the temptation to make some money. JG, if it's what u r good at, and your gut says it will work, go for it.

Beachbumz
Old 03-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #7

JG,

You're having urges to "work", i'm having urges to live like a typical consumer. I keep thinking what it'd be like to own a 2005 Subaru WRX almost daily, though I currently have a 10 year old 240sx.

Live it up now..... ER Live it up now.... ER. Will the pain ever go away
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote