Join Early Retirement Today

Retire in Minnesota
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retire in Minnesota

I never would have thought I would see his, but Market Watch has finally picked Minnesota as a Retirement destination.

And they published the article in January. And on the eve of the coldest day of the winter so far, with wind chills below -40.

So all your Floridians (and Texans) that are tired of the low taxes and high humidity, migrate north!

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

To me, long hot summers (especially the humid kind!) are much worse than long cold winters. The first city they mention is Duluth. It sits on Lake Superior, so summers are quite comfortable. And if you don't like the cold weather, they have a skywalk connecting most buildings downtown. And it's hard to think of another place where you have such easy access to so many awesome outdoor activities while still having all of the comforts of a decent-sized metropolitan area.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
To me, long hot summers (especially the humid kind!) are much worse than long cold winters.
Agree! I ruled out FL as a full time "move to" state last September because it was that bad.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me that all those destination lists just pick a random assortment of cities each year and then write up some plausible reasons for picking them.

One of these days, I fully expect to see Fairbanks on somebody's list.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Agree! I ruled out FL as a full time "move to" state last September because it was that bad.
I'm with you, but Florida is a prime retirement destination. I'd be interested in hearing from others where the appeal lies, and whether the positives offset the excess humidity.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I'm with you, but Florida is a prime retirement destination. I'd be interested in hearing from others where the appeal lies, and whether the positives offset the excess humidity.
I could see myself spending 181 days a year there, maybe a bit more. There is no place better to be than SW FL in the winter. Tomorrow here it will not even be above 0.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #7

One summer we were heading up to Duluth. It was 85 degrees until we dropped down next to the lake, and I'm not sure what the temerature was, but it was brisk; a long sleeved shirt and long pants were not enough, with the windchill.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

I'll be retiring in St. Paul. I like it here. As they say the cold winters keep the riff-raff out.

Watching the Crashed Ice course going up at the Cathedral as we speak, even if it is freezing out!
Old 01-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Had to google it.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It depends so much on the individual. I don't come out of long sleeves until the temperature goes above 80 and I'd suffer horribly and die in MN, except perhaps in July and August. A good friend is the opposite - he suffers from the heat at 75 and doesn't put on long sleeve shirts until the temperature is below 30.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

My blood is too thin for those long cold MN winters. Maybe I am mixed up, but I thought MN was not really a great tax and COL state for retirees?

Don't like the high humidity of FL much either. So looks like neither is on my retirement list!

If I was given choice to live in the desert, swamp, or live in snow, I would take desert for sure.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

What you don't see in that photo sengsational is the huge Cathedral to which the start of the course is attached. It really is a sight. Here's a photo that captures it:
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #13

Well, bah, there was a photo there. Don't know where it went.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #14

MN is a beautiful state and I can see the appeal of living there, retired or not. I spent many happy weeks in MN during long ago summers as my Dad was a fisherman. The state is used to snow and cold weather and undoubtedly does a good job with road maintenance/indoor amenities. If I ever move from PA, though, it will be to a state with no estate tax. I am mulling over the possibility of VA (maybe VA Beach) for a little over half the year and staking a claim to residency there eventually. I lived in Tidewater VA in the late 70's and early 80's and loved the area although it is likely much changed (as am I for that matter).
Old 01-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #15

DW and I spent 20 years in Iowa and enjoyed visiting the Twin Cities. I also have fond vacation memories of vacationing in the northern part of the state when I was a child. There are a lot of wonderful things to do throughout the state.

However, DW gave me a clear warning that we would never move to "the M state", as she called it. She firmly believes that snow should be restricted to mountaintops and any temperature below 50 degrees Fahrenheit is intolerable. When we first drove to the Twin Cities in the winter I had to explain ice fishing to her when she asked, "What are all of those cars doing out on that lake?" She really can't understand why people would choose that for entertainment.

I agree that Minnesota could be a wonderful retirement location for those who enjoy the occasional touch of frostbite for entertainment.

I could entertain living there between May 1 and October 1.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Lived in Minnesota as a high school kid. That's why I now live in AZ!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived in MN all my life. My wife can't tolerate heat or high humidity so it looks like were going to stay here.
Plus the new Grandbaby motivates us to stay put.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Retire in Minnesota

Great state.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

When we first drove to the Twin Cities in the winter I had to explain ice fishing to her when she asked, "What are all of those cars doing out on that lake?" She really can't understand why people would choose that for entertainment.

I got a chuckle out of this statement. I love sharing my ice fishing story. A couple friends and I were going Ice fishing on Lake Of The Woods. This is a huge lake/river system that borders Canada and Minnesota. One of my friends brought with a buddy of his from some where down south. This guy was dead set on not driving on the lake. He was adamant the whole way that when we got to the lake that we would let him out of the truck and that he would walk to the fishing spot. He was mortified when we stopped the truck, jumped out and set up the fish house and drilled holes to start fishing.... He had no idea that we had driven across 7 miles of ice! I think all of the plowed roads, fish houses, other trucks and the islands we crossed confused him.... Maybe you have to be from Minnesota to appreciate this kind of humor!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Summers up there are wonderful. Both weeks of it! (didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if anyone already used that one)