Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksambellamy View Post
I posted the question because so many people were telling me I had lots of earnings years left and I should be hustling. literally nobody except for my wife backed me up on my decision to retire. It's crazy to me that so many people are money hungry that they don't take the time to appreciate what they have.

I just remember what this old man told me as he was close to death. He said: Son, retire when you can , enjoy your life and spend your money......life goes fast ... and just remember you will never see a brinks truck following a hearse.
I too left at the top of my game. I was tired of it, and I had accumulated enough (along with a nice COLA protected pension) to pull the trigger. I have had ZERO regrets. I have never been more satisfied in my life...and I mean NEVER.

W*rk is an identity for many folks (I'd say a majority) so going against the 'norm' will undoubtedly get you some weird looks.

Not only to mention, it's quite rare for someone to retire at 45, so many naysayers are only exhibiting jealousy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OP, I retired at 45 with pension (no health care). I worked PT for 3 years, and one month a year for 2 more years for the kind of cash you were working for. I just kinda faded away a few years ago and last 2 years my only job is to wake up and get out of bed now. I think I did the transitioning PT work more to phase into retirement than needing the money. Im so middle class, I cant change my ways and what I like to do anyways. The cash just builds up anyways and didnt/wouldnt change my life anyways. I like doing nothing. Today I left for a golf match at 6:30 am, home by 1. I let GF have a night off from me. Here it is 10 pm and I havent done a thing since one. The day just flys by. Well... a 60 minute afternoon nap speeds it along too, lol.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
There are precious few jobs that pay more than $10 an hour PT, let alone $20.
I have first hand experience that that is very true.

Perhaps the OP knew someone at the school.
The common wisdom is that the better jobs are only "found" with networking.

I have been applying for jobs outside my field by just applying to ads online. It is not a pleasant experience.

I will probably end up making minimum wage working retail as a seasonal employee.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksambellamy View Post
We are happy and to me that's all that matters, but my friends make me feel like I should be hustling , making more while I'm still young.
I'd suggest that your friends are telling you that to make themselves feel better because most would like to be in your shoes. You have to do you.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #25

[QUOTE=Blacksambellamy;1788971]So I retired a year ago at 45 and went back to work at a school part time. The job is easy just 4 hrs a day 730am to 1130am ... weekends, all holidays and summers off.

The pay is only 20 dollars an hour.

My problem is this. I was a cop for 25 years and never had a holiday, weekend or summer off with my kids. So I'm really enjoying all this family time not to mention I'm stress free.

I know I could be making much more but then I would be working full time. So Im sacrificing this low pay to have a school schedule and lots of time off.

I look at most of our friends and they are working like mad. Most of them have more stuff then we do....Big houses, summer homes , additions, cars ... etc. they all seem so stressed out just wanting more.

We live in a small neat and clean 3 bedroom ranch, no fancy cars and no summer homes. We vacation a few times a year in the Caribbean and summer on Cape Cod at my parents house.

At 45 am i selling myself short by working this low paying school job ? Should I be busting my balls at a high stress job just to make more. ? I have a good pension and free medical and live within my means. We are happy and to me that's all that matters, but my friends make me feel like I should be hustling , making more while I'm still young.

Good for you - you have it nailed, Blacksambellamy!!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #26

You said "my problem is this".

And then didn't say anything that was a problem!

Enjoy!!!!! Life is a journey; there is no one path, no "right" answer. It is not a game to be won by acquiring things or comparing yourself to others.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:44 AM   #27
gone traveling

you lost me at $20 an hour. I know skilled craftsmen who never have and never will make $20 and hour, full time. I had 20 years of experience and expertise before uncle sam paid me $20 an hour. part time in fla will get you minimum wage.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:18 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you are doing fine, and the 20$ an hour i pretty good if just doing it for extra money,I have many employees and only my baker and my kids make that much,the rest are minimum wage or just over, congrats and enjoy, seems like you have a good situation.Worry about what your friends and family think when they pay your bills.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:30 AM   #29

You are surrounded with people "hustling" to support their lifestyle. The more you want, the more you have to hustle. I'm about your age and I'm hustling because I enjoy my profession and they pay me well. Within a few years, I'll do something else as I'm already FI.

If your pension supports your lifestyle and "only" $20 an hour compliments your time in a stress free way, you have your answer until you are bored with it. Alot of people would love to be in your spot. Congrats.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote