Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
A reality show, Travels with Alan and the Missus, then
I would love to watch it! I agree that it seems like you and your DW are living the dream. Good for you.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I admire all the older nomads including you Alan because you are all still open to adventure .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I would love to watch it! I agree that it seems like you and your DW are living the dream. Good for you.
Thanks,

For us our motto is "adventure before dementia", we've known too many couples where one or the other becomes too ill to travel. Fortunately this is something that both of us wanted to do and were able to retire early enough to do while still in good health.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Skim. It doesn't get better. I found it unpersuasive. What it comes down to is packaging an intriguing idea into a padded book (part of which recounts how she came to write the book!), branding the "home free adventure" concept, and promoting the heck out of it to increase book sales. It's working, based on how it's gained some traction in the media.
I waited a couple weeks to get this book from library, and lasted for one chapter. It seemed like another "aren't we cool" book.

If someone wants to travel a lot on relatively small money, experienced travelers on this board get right into the nitty gritty, and this seems very helpful.

Ha
Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Sitting here in Vanuatu I found the article interesting and could relate to it just a little. This is our 5th year in retirement and each year so far we have spent 5 - 7 months away, but we do like a home base to return to.

In readiness for retirement we sold the big house and moved into a rented apartment in a complex where we can "lock and leave".

So far this year we have spent a week in LA, 6 weeks in Queensland, Australia in 3 different places, a week in Vanuatu and are moving back to Australia tomorrow for 3 weeks in Victoria, 4 weeks in Tasmania, a week in Sydney and then 2 weeks on a cruise around New Zealand.

Next year will be a North American 6 month trip including Alaska and Canada, and the following year we plan on setting up a 2nd home in the UK and slowing down somewhat, taking shorter trips to places in the UK and Europe.

We typically spend around $6k/month on these trips so it is not what I would describe as "living on a budget"

This is great and the direction we are heading - except the $6k per month - that's 100% of our budget. I could see tooling around staying @ lower priced chain hotels, spending little time there, and exploring an area until were bored.

Keep the details coming inquiring minds would like to know more.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Planning on retiring in June, 2015. I will be 55 and DW 52. Our primary home is in the northeast and we have a beach house at the New Jersey shore. Our annual plan is as follows:

Jan or February - Rent a 2 bedroom home in the Caribbean likely from VRBO or Homeaway. Like St. Barts (but very pricey) may rent on St. Croix, Anguilla or St. Lucia. We have three vacation rental properties (in close proximity to our primary residence and beach house) we rent as landlord through these websites and have been very happy with the return. We have been surprised how well people have taken care of our vacation properties. We have not experienced any of the nightmares we have all read about. Hopefully this will continue. Also have met some wonderful people from all over the world.

March-May - Primary Residence

June-September - Beach House

October - Rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment in a European City. Our favorite is Paris but will vary year to year.

November-December - Primary Residence.

We expect the two single month long trips will together run about $20,000.00/year including rent. Now just hoping I have the courage to take the leap........First step is to have a plan. Next step is to carry through with it.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

That sounds great! Have fun.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #27

I am reading the book right now. It is definitely NOT a how-to, but more of a travelogue with some important information buried in it. I'm finding it an okay read.

One nugget I learned the Schengen Agreement & its impact on US citizens visiting Europe:
Quote:
If you are a U.S. citizen with a valid U.S. passport traveling for tourism or business, you can apply to enter the Schengen area without a visa for a period of three months within each six-month period. If you spend three months in the Schengen area during any six-month period, you must wait another three months before you can apply to enter the Schengen area again without a visa.
Schengen FAQ

I saw this article on Lynne & Tim Martin today. They carry international health insurance ($400), budget $2500/mo max for lodging/utilities, and $1000/mo for food, $500/mo for entertainment & travel. I can't remember if they even mentioned these amounts in the book.

Extreme retirement abroad: How one footloose couple sees the world | Reuters
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #28

We've been doing quite a bit of travel on a budget this year.

4 weeks in LA and Yosemite in May
Stayed with great friends & another loaned us their car as they were not in town.

3 week in Dallas with DD in June

5-6 weeks in Dallas and Hot Springs AR this month and next
DD again and a old friend has invited us to watch his house in HS, AR.
Rented out our place for this trip... In Playa del Carmen

We just add airfare & a little car rental.

Also started using housecarers.com for possible house sitting jobs in cool places.
Surewhitey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I saw this article on Lynne & Tim Martin today. They carry international health insurance ($400), budget $2500/mo max for lodging/utilities, and $1000/mo for food, $500/mo for entertainment & travel. I can't remember if they even mentioned these amounts in the book.

Extreme retirement abroad: How one footloose couple sees the world | Reuters
I was hesitant to read yet another article on this "home free" duo, but Mark Miller does a good job of covering retirement issues. I thought his article had more specifics (and was thus more useful) than the book itself.

Add Social Security to the $6,000 they're withdrawing from their portfolio monthly, and we can roughly estimate they're living on $110,000 or so a year. They may not consider themselves wealthy, but they're more comfortable than most. Not everyone can afford to do this.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Steve & Lulu do a nice job of trekking by motor camper and boat. Try giving them a read:
yodersafloat | We don't need no stinking schedule!
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

After getting the book from my library and reading it, I can only say that I'm glad I didn't buy it. It would have been nice if they included a budget spreadsheet.

I've given this lifestyle quite a bit of thought. Airbnb seems OK, but I'm not keen on living with my 'hosts' and would like to see more worldwide short term rentals centrally located on a reliable rental website similar to rent.com. I know that craigslist also serves as a place to find short-term apartments, but avoiding scammers is probably a full time job.
coldnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
$400 for emergency health insurance in her 70s. Sounds too good to be true.

Do they avoid California taxes? What would they pay in taxes every year?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
$400 for emergency health insurance in her 70s. Sounds too good to be true.
That's $400/MONTH. Also, as with most on-line articles, they fail to have even the most base of details. It could be a $10,000 deductible policy for only heart-attacks and other insanely expensive health issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Do they avoid California taxes? What would they pay in taxes every year?
I find it interesting that they merely say that the financial advisor sends them "the same $6,000/month stipend they were receiving when they owned a home in CA". So they are able to spend $6,000/mo, AND pay a FA an unknown annual fee, BEFORE you add in the presumed equity they had in a CA home. Of course, there's also the electronics business it says the husband runs (with unspecified income), along with "publishing novels" (which I presume might amount to a rounding error in their budget).

Definitely doesn't sound too "middle classish" to me if your portfolio can pay you $72k/year after financial advisor fees, without home equity. Of course, again, the article fails to mention anything about their investment plan, balances, yields, or returns. For all we know they will end up hanging it up in 5 years and be forced to ratchet expenses down to SS + $10,000/year.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #34

We're gone about six months out of the year in our TC. Spend about $1000-$1500 for a month of travel. Our annual travel budget is $18000.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
We're gone about six months out of the year in our TC. Spend about $1000-$1500 for a month of travel. Our annual travel budget is $18000.

We're gone about the same, spend about the same. Thus far in 2014 we've spent five months in our RV traveling through the western half of the US, plus lots of shorter, more local trips, plus one 'splashy' trip to S. America.

Of all the things we've spent money on over our lifetimes, travel is the one category I can look back on with absolutely no regrets. The stimulation, the learning, the challenges, the joy . . . I can't imagine my life without it.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
We're gone about the same, spend about the same. Thus far in 2014 we've spent five months in our RV traveling through the western half of the US, plus lots of shorter, more local trips, plus one 'splashy' trip to S. America.

Of all the things we've spent money on over our lifetimes, travel is the one category I can look back on with absolutely no regrets. The stimulation, the learning, the challenges, the joy . . . I can't imagine my life without it.

+1

We need to do more in the SW - not big on the desert environment, however. I know there's a lot more to it than that...

Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

We need to do more in the SW - not big on the desert environment, however. I know there's a lot more to it than that...

I would be happy to make recommendations on 'must do's' vs 'not so much' if the time ever comes. We stayed in over 40 different locations throughout 11 states. Our focus was getting to as many National Parks as possible, everything from Saguaro NP in S. Arizona to Theodore Roosevelt NP in N. Dakota, but we hit lots and lots of other sites and places beside. Truly the experience of our lifetimes to date.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I are going to buy a used enclosed trailer 17 X 7 and fill it with our home. Locate furnished or unfurnished houses/apartments for rent during the off seasons and hang out in those area's.

Rent a uhaul to move the trailer and get down to one car.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #39

Retired Couples who Trek the Globe on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
Wife and I are going to buy a used enclosed trailer 17 X 7 and fill it with our home. Locate furnished or unfurnished houses/apartments for rent during the off seasons and hang out in those area's.

Rent a uhaul to move the trailer and get down to one car.

Are you going to convert the trailer to camp in, for when you're not renting a place?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are you going to convert the trailer to camp in, for when you're not renting a place?

Nope - any gaps will stay in hotels/campgrounds(Tent) etc... I will plan the logistics so we don't do that too much. for example in our area, MA, from Sept thru May you can get a place near the ocean for 900/month with everything included except food. That's 8 months of 12. The next 4 maybe someplace away from cities and tourist area's - we shall see.